Thread: Do modern US military-issue watches really exist?

Smile Do modern US military-issue watches really exist?

I have been in the Marine Corps for seven years, have always been a watch buff for years prior to joining, and have never heard of any specific military watch ever "issued." I have been in an air unit, HQ unit, infantry unit, and now currently in what was formerly known as 1st Force Recon. We jarheads love our G-Shocks, Pathfinders, Suuntos, and even Timexes, but have never been issued an official watch. (I wear a Luminox BTW.)

The refined question here is: Are other services issued watches? The Corps has a smaller budget...maybe the sister services who have larger budgets can roger up on having been issued some sort of sexy timepiece...

I would really like to know, so that I can write the Commandant.

Default Yes, to all the quartermasters who order them.

Yes, to all the quartermasters who order them by accident to put on their own wrists.
    H1Alpha -
    **MBM P6500 on Maratac G10 strap with SUUNTO wrist compass** 4 year old watch, efficient, dependable for ground-pounding. Change battery every 2 years to be on safe side.
    **Adidas AdiStar stopwatch w/ shadow timer.

Default Only if its in the suppy system

Hello tcps760,
    When I was a regular Air Force troop the units I have been in didn't give us a damn thing when it came to watches, you had to buy them yourself. But when I retrained into USAF Special Ops/ Pararescue I can get any watch that is in the supply system or has a NSN, usually at the end of year when we have to spend the rest of our yearly budget.
    Most of the officers in my unit have been issuing themselves CSAR's, the enlisted mostly get regular TSAR's, GSAR's, SAR-D's,Navigators or G-Shocks.

Later
    DRAKE

Default Thanks, I will be getting with my Supply Officer this week

Drake, you bring up a good point. I am going to do some online searching to compile an NSN list of watches for purchase. Too bad the fiscal year ended a few months ago - we went on a spending spree which included a lot of sticky pads, chemlights, thumbdrives, and ink cartridges, etc...we just ran out of stuff to buy to use up the budget allowances.

On a different note, I recall now that a few years ago the Battalion Commander for 3rd Battalion 5th Marines "bought" all 800 of his men each a GSAR. I had originally thought that he used his own funds, and genorosity, but come to think of it, he probably tasked his Supply Officer to divert end of year funds for that huge purchase.

Thanks all!

Default Here is the USAF and USA supply system

tcps760,
    Here is how the USAF and Army gets supplies:
    https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/advgsa/.../start_page.do
    You don't need a password to do searches, just type in "wrist watch" in the upper left of the page and it will pull up every watch in the US Military supply system.
    Now you guys will see what the military pays for watches, the discounts are substantial!

Later
    DRAKE

Default Interesting that Uncle

pays (per unit) about the same for a Weems and Plath as I see them for on EBay.

Default I guess it all depends on the disposition of funds.

I guess it all depends on the disposition of funds and the intent of use for those funds by those who are commanding. Watches are simply last on the list for most but for those job types who have special use and/or beat up their watches such as Spec Ops, Pilot. Funny though, the military issues glasses for everyone with impaired vision, but they don't think telling time is an important thing for every soldier.
    H1Alpha -
    **MBM P6500 on Maratac G10 strap with SUUNTO wrist compass** 4 year old watch, efficient, dependable for ground-pounding. Change battery every 2 years to be on safe side.
    **Adidas AdiStar stopwatch w/ shadow timer.

Default Very True

Quote Originally Posted by H1Alpha View Post
    I guess it all depends on the disposition of funds and the intent of use for those funds by those who are commanding. Watches are simply last on the list for most but for those job types who have special use and/or beat up their watches such as Spec Ops, Pilot. Funny though, the military issues glasses for everyone with impaired vision, but they don't think telling time is an important thing for every soldier.
    True, Very True

Quote Originally Posted by H1Alpha View Post
    If my life depended on it and given the choice between a MIL-W-46374 or a G-Shock, I'd spend my own money for the G-shock.

I wish I could have justified SARs last Sep! We hit the end of year spending at the same time we hit the last of the pre-deployment spending so we bought a bunch of nice-to-have items like a gator, construction tools, etc. I canb only imagine what my boss would have said (even though he owns a Patek and a GMT).

Of course, the minute we got here I found out one of the PV2s didn't even bring a watch, one guy lost his, and my Team Sgt's G-Shock band broke. Maybe next time...
    Cheers,

Colin

Capo-at-Large, Brooklyn Dive Watch Mafia

I did my four years with 2/75 Ranger Battalion in the late 80's/early 90's. The only issue watch I ever saw was an early 490 on the wrist of our supply sgt. He thought it was cool because of the trit tubes, I thought it was lame because you had to keep winding it!

Banned

Default Thanks for the link...Here is another..

http://www.weems-plath.com/uploaded_...1185375462.pdf

Just goes to show how the government waste our TAX $. This POS is $230.10 or you could get a TSAR, which is a really nice watch, for only $9.90 more. Government waste never ceases to amaze me.
    All the best,
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Rescue View Post
    tcps760,
    Here is how the USAF and Army gets supplies:
    https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/advgsa/.../start_page.do
    You don't need a password to do searches, just type in "wrist watch" in the upper left of the page and it will pull up every watch in the US Military supply system.
    Now you guys will see what the military pays for watches, the discounts are substantial!

Later
    DRAKE

My nephews mate has just got back from Afghanistan and swears by these casios,
    W-94HF-8AVHUG W94HF

ive just ordered a new one for 15 posted as a general camping and abusing watch,

paul

Default there are issued watches, but never seen any issued

I've been in for about 14 yrs, Army, in logistics for about 6 of those yrs. I've only seen an issued watch twice....one to an SF guy (GSAR) and a couple to me. (one marathon and one Suunto.).

Most guys wear g-shocks but there were a few watch lovers in Afghanistan with me that wore everything from a Seiko diver to a Benrus Type II or Omegas and everything in between. I personally like my Omega or Seiko diver but do enjoy wearing my benrus type II lately.

Marathon does offer nice discounts to military members for their watches too.