Thread: WW2 German Naval Gun in Norway

Default WW2 German Naval Gun in Norway

When in the Naval Reserve I was in a cargo Handling Unit they sent us to Norway to do a off load and a on load for the fleet hospital a mash set up for a 500 bed hosipital every 5 years they use to rotate the stuff back to the states and resupply with up to date stuff. I had only 1 1\2 days off out of 17 days there and that was when the job was done we worked 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off shifts with no days off until the job was done. Don't care to see a set of tie down chains we us to block and brace the vehicles so they did not move at sea ever again. The deck of the strong virgina that's the civilian ship we were loading in there cargo hold was so rusty when you went under the vehicle to tie it down your uniform turned black from the rust a dirty job. We were up in Narvik that's above the artic circle there was 24hrs strait day light. Well on the little time I had off I got to see this WW2 German Naval gun I guess the battle ship it was made for was cancled so they used them for a shore battery I think it's a 14 inch gun the concrete bunker that the gun turret sit's on was built by Russian POW's we were told some were shot and thrown in the concrete how ruthless make's you wonder about how often that happend to US POW's.

I just had to see if I would fit this gun was never fired a shot in anger the war ended before it could be used.

Some of the conex boxes pre-staged for when the ship came in.

The Norwegian Army barracks we lived in while in Norway. The Norwagian Army had the lower deck the US Navy had the upper deck.

The veiw I had every day at work when not below deck working.

Default Nice View.....

So...What were the Germans going to shooting at? I'm sure there was military reason. Was it an old German Navel Base? Just curious...So how far did you fly?

I posted this also at another forum and a member dug this info up. The gun proberly came from the same ship as this one in the link below.
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...tt-fort-Norway

And a little info about the Narvik area in WW2 were the gun is located.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Narvik

The gun was in Harstad Norway
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40.6_cm_SK_C/34_gun
    Last edited by river rat; 04-18-2013 at 07:41.

Default I've always been impressed with these naval rifles

the breech blocks and chambers are just works of industrial art. There are two on the front lawn of the Imperial War Museum in London. The Germans always expected the Brits to try for Norway and had a huge number of troops up there. It was the main source of iron ore and nickle for the third reich. Imagine if these guns were turned on some ship 20 miles out.

The 40.6 cm SK C/34 (SK - either Schnelladekanone or Schiffskanone) was a 16 inch 52 caliber naval rifle designed for the H-class battleship. The guns in Norway weren't actually made in the naval configuration, they were specifically tailored to coastal defense, with different rifling and a larger chamber (Schnelladekanone configuration).

Eight were sent to Norway, with one lost during shipping.

From the end of the war to the mid 1950's, the Norwegian Army used the seven guns as coastal defense. The guns and about 1200 rounds were part of the war reparations.

They were decommissioned in 1964....

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    the breech blocks and chambers are just works of industrial art. There are two on the front lawn of the Imperial War Museum in London. The Germans always expected the Brits to try for Norway and had a huge number of troops up there. It was the main source of iron ore and nickle for the third reich. Imagine if these guns were turned on some ship 20 miles out.
    Actually, these rifles used a horizontal sliding wedge breech and a very large rimmed brass case.

Empties litter the deck of the Tripiz after a practice shoot....