Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triton Spirotechnique Dive Watch

Default Triton Spirotechnique Dive Watch

I know that folks on this forum are Spirotechnique enthusiasts, so I wanted to share a couple of photos of my new arrival.

I am novice when it comes to the dive watches, but can say that this one is a star of my collection, based on the amazing looks . . . the bezel is amazing looking!!

Can anyone estimate the age of this one? Mid-60s? And was it made by Dodane?

Thanks,

Jeff

I have ads from 1963.
    It was designed by J.Parmentier and produced by Dodane.

Thank you for posting these images. Fantastic to see this Triton in the Spirotechnique catalog from 1963, and also interesting to see that the price is 12.50 Francs higher than the Rolex Submariner. I expect that the Submariner would have been a better investment, but we know that the Triton is a cooler watch (and certainly more rare in today's market).

Thanks again,

Jeff

In 1975 the French Army Central Management of Material published:

Technical Manual
    Lot of Individual Equipment
    Diving Spirotechnique
    Single Cylider

This lists, describes, photographed, and includes technical drawings with part lists, the Triton Spirotechnique as issued equipment.

Interesting that these watches were being issued a decade after being sold / advertised in civilian diving.

Nice watch, congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    In 1975 the French Army Central Management of Material published:

Technical Manual
    Lot of Individual Equipment
    Diving Spirotechnique
    Single Cylider

This lists, describes, photographed, and includes technical drawings with part lists, the Triton Spirotechnique as issued equipment.

Interesting that these watches were being issued a decade after being sold / advertised in civilian diving.

Nice watch, congratulations. Billy
    Thanks so much for this very interesting reply. I had heard that the Triton dive watch had been "issued" as a dive watch, but I have not been able to get any details . . . issued by whom? Etc., etc.?

Might it be possible to see scans of any of these materials that specifically refer to the Triton Spirotechnique dive watch? I am happy to provide my e-mail address, to post them here for others to see, etc.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Default very cool!

congrats on a great score, Jeff

those are quite rare and with some interesting history!

Peter

I imagine from the source they were issued by the French Army to qualified divers. The manual specifically covers Spirotechnique dive equipment being issued: Triton watch, wetsuit, mask, snorkel, air tanks, dive compass, depth gauge, dive light, etc etc.

I don't read French, so can't provide detailed info, but the manual's cover is easy enough to translate and the photos and drawings cover the above info. I'll see if I can get the manual scans uploaded.

It would be interesting Billy, thanks if you can.
    It's strange to see it's been issued 10 years after production, but doesn't suprise me that much.
    The MN to my knowledge which is mostly about the Toulon (mediterranean)facility, had tons of watches that were bought by small batches over long periods of time. Most of them were unmarked, and it's quite uneasy to know if they were issued.
    About the Triton, it's not the same, civilian ones had no number on the back.
    If yours is engraved with number, it's probably an issued one, even if that's a bit of speculation, as the official navy watchmaker's archives are difficult to obtain. He never answered to my requests.
    So telling to which unit they were issued is probably impossible as the few archives i saw only show brand ans serials.

Default Triton from the French Navy

Hello
    Two years ago during the Paris International Dive Show in January 2011, the French Navy was showing some devices and especially a Triton Spirotechnique from the Saint Mandrier diving school in which a lot of Navy divers are trained.

I spoke with the military divers and some crazy enthusiasts of military timepieces (I met a man with the most incredible type 20 collection I have ever seen -only in pictures unfortunately!) around this Triton.

The watch was not really in a good condition but the marking on the back is interesting because this watch is 100 % vintage and military guaranteed because as far as I know it's still in the museum in Saint Mandrier!!!!

Sorry for the quality of the pictures done with my old mobile phone....

P

The picture of the back with engraved number is better and very interesting because I'm not sure all the Triton were engraved

Hi Billy, I do read French no problem, so if you have some scans of the manual, you know where to reach me. Sounds like interesting info you have.

Default Two Styles of Serial Numbers

I believe that there are two styles of serial numbers, marked on the case-backs: (a) 3 digits, marked in larger numerals, and (b) 6 digits, marked in smaller numerals. Perhaps the military-issued had the 3 larger numerals and the retail version had the 6 smaller numerals. To be confirmed!!

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey Jeff, that's a really nice one from a good family of diver watches - certainly some of these these were issued as far as I know but the numbering was flakey as mentioned below.
    I did the ships divers course in the mid-eighties at St Mandrier, as far as I recall the instructors mostly wore the then-new Citizens featuring a depth meter (digital), but I think these were personal. We did no nav on that course so I never used the MN 'planchettes' (which would have featured 'issued' watches) but I did use the Army swim/nav boards while doing the army dive courses - but at that tender age I didn't notice the make/model of watch, much to my regret. Nowadays it is all G-Shock;

If you like the Triton you may also like the ZRC Etanche Grands Fonds, used by Falco (from Cousteau fame) and also rumoured to be issued, although I've never seen any evidence to back that assertion up.

Anyway, good luck in digging up some history - I see you've posted on FaM so maybe some good info from them.

Andy

I asked Laurent Dodane about the numbering on tritons and here's his answer:

As for types 21 tritons have been numbered in the beginning with the three digits representing the Nr. of the Watch, then 6 digits the first three correspond to the serial number of the casing then lasts, the Nr. of the watch.
    I think watches without N corresponded to the first series
    greetings
    L Dodane.
    The ZRC for sure was issued, there are plenty of them in the MN watchmaker's registry. I have verbal information that every model of zrc was issued.
    But i don't remember seeing falco with one

There's an interesting post on fam about zrc, and other MN watches from a former navy man ( claude0879 ), particulary in which concern the way how the watches were issued and serviced.

http://forumamontres.forumactif.com/...tte-astucieuse

Default Meaning of ZRC and MN??

I am a newcomer to French military or dive watches, so I wonder whether you could tell me the meaning of "ZRC" and "MN"?

Thanks for this interesting information!!

Soon, I will post additional photos of the watch.

Jeff

ZRC is a brand, Zuccolo & Rochet company, now they make only straps.
    MN is the french navy, Marine nationale.

Fantastic Polo - thanks for confirming about the ZRC.

Jeff - here is a serie deux ZRC:

(Apologies, I've forgotten the source)

And Polo - on the Calypso - Falco??:

Andy

Default Interesting looking watch that ZRC Etanche Grands Fonds

Didn't Zaf describe these as the Fireman's watch due them being worn by the French fire service at some point ?

The below from, of all places pistonheads

IAP

Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

thanks for all the great info on these very cool early divers
    unfortunately the bracelet attachment at 6 doesn't look all too sturdy on some of those ZRC

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_s View Post

Andy
    This is not Falco, it's the Calypso's pilot, they look quite similar, but Falco is a bit more chubby.

About the firemen, it's been told that the BMPM (Bataillon des marins pompiers de Marseille ) Marseille's firemen which is a military unit, were issued some zrc but it was never confirmed.