Thread: Ray Wong's Benrus Type 1 Class A Homage

Default Ray Wong's Benrus Type 1 Class A Homage

Hello All:

I'm new here to the MWR. Up till now my collection consists of dive watches, but I have been fascinated with the old military dive watches as of late.

I'm considering Ray's Benrus Type 1 Class A homage to tide me over till I can fund a reasonably priced original Type 1.

Does anyone have one that can share their experiences, feelings and maybe some photos of Ray's creation?

Thanks!!
    notanothercamera

Default Behold, what a simple search of the main forum uncovers..

Lambstew:

Thanks for the link.

I did do a search and that was one that came up.

I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has had any recent experience with Ray's homage. For instance, has the lume issue been improved upon.

Seems like there are a lot of positive comments for the Mk II blackwater, but unless I'm reading their website wrong, this is now a $1700.00 watch. So even at the current $398.00 that Ray is asking on eBay, his homage is still reasonable and IMHO a closer replica to the Benrus Type 1.

Also looked at the Precista PRS-18 which looks like a competitor to the blackwater. For the money, approximately $390.00 USD for the auto version, it is probably the best deal out there. But then again, it is not and likely was not intended to be a homage to the Benrus.

Default I had considered Ray's version but went with a Blackwater instead..

I believe the Paradive has replaced the Blackwater, hence the big jump in price because of the improved specs.. I really liked the Blackwater but ended up hating the anodized metal insert, the printing on which tended to wear, fade and pick up damage very easily. I probably would have kept the watch if the insert had been acrylic as on the original..

From everything I remember ever said about Ray's watch is that it's an OK deal for the money. You could always contact Ray via ebay and ask if the lume has been improved recently. The other issue I remember hearing about was that crown felt flimsy with a bit too much play after it was unscrewed..

I think by FAR the best bang for the $'s of any homage or recreation would be the PRS18Q or Automatic. The PRS-18 is an update of the original Precista 1993 issued Royal Navy quartz diver. Timefactors owns the name so it's "real" as far as that goes..

Good luck in your quest..

Default I second the recommendation of the Precista

The best "bang for the buck" by far. Due to my work, I do wish it had a date function.

DR Customs in High Point NC (also on eBay) has a great homage with a 2824-2 movement and all case parts can be used on original cases. Comes with black nato strap and extra crystal for $475. These are like original with front movement removal, two piece stem, one piece casse, etc. I just bought one and he will have some more ready next week. As a former watchmaker very familiar with these Benrus watches, I am impressed so farr with what I have seen and hearrd from Daniel at DR. If everyone likes, I will be happy to post a review when wtch arrives next week.
    My plans are to transfer all components into one of my original cases. I also have 2 extra original Type I cases if anyone is looking.

Dave