Thread: longines weems 6B/159

Default longines weems 6B/159

hI I have a watch that I know almost nothing about.It is a longines weems I think as there are 2 currently on ebay that are very similar.I have tried to upload pics but seem to have failed.I suppose I could email them if any one wanted.The watch is 34mm across and on the back there is a crown with AM underneath, then Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Co Ltd. Then Mk v11A 6B/159 1926/40. Any info or history would be gratefully received.Regards Bob.

Basic info:

pilot/navigator watch of WW2. The weems Aviator watches also made by JLC, Zenith, Movado, and Omega, for the Air Ministry (AM). The most desireable of the 6B/159 watches. The other variant generally being a simple alloy cased watches, without lockable bezels also by the same makers(-Zenith but + a few others). The Longines seems to be the most common Weems version (also civilain versions found). Have seen AM ones sell for 2K when all original, at other times half that. Depends on the market, be interesting to see what the one on Ebay goes for.

Nice watches

Default longines weems AM

Thanks for reply,Im a bit stunned my father bought this about 3 weeks ago at a boot fair.Need to have a sit down and think,many thanks again Bob.

unless you need the money, would be a good investment. These watches have increased massively in recent years

I will keep and enjoy.Have ordered nato nylon strap as cant fit leather as strap pins are fixed. Also watch on ebay 300425909945 is much cleaner than mine,should I get it cleaned perhaps ultrasound or does it want leavig untouched. Thanks in advance.

register with photobucket, then upload to them. Then simply copy the IMG link on the pics to the text area when writing a thread.

Show your pic's then we can give advice.

Hi,have uploaded pics to photobucket but cant seem to copy to forum. Any suggestions?

Then paste into the message box when typing...easy

.Hope this works!

.Hope this works!

My goodness, that's lovely. Simply Wonderful.

Default I'd leave as is...

It is a nice original watch "as is". One could polish the crystal if desired.

Nice find!

At a car boot sale!? I'm gobsmacked, and I don't use that word often! (actually it's the first time I've used it).

Super nice watch, have it serviced, polish the crystal a little and leave the case alone, great find mate!

(By the way, I think yours is nicer than the one on Ebay by a longshot!).

cheers,

-John

Hi,thanks for advice.Have booked in for service,will get crystal polished[is that glass?].Is there any way of finding out exact date and or any other history.Regards Bob.

The Longines archivists will provide invoice information (date, destination) if you give them the mov't serial number. Go to Longines.com.

Nice one, by the by.

don't get ripped off on the service (60-80). BTW toothpaste will clean up the cystal. If you need a good service watch repairer let me know

Hi, thanks for all comments. Does anyone know how many were made.Bob.