The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora

Go Back   The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora > Main Forum
Register MWR Homepage MWR New Stuff for Sale MWR Maratac ZULU Straps Calendar Mark Forums Read

Main Forum This is the site for enthusiasts of military timepieces. All discussions related to military timepieces, and watches in general are welcome. While discussing non-issued watches and homage watches is permissible, misrepresentations and/or false claims of military provenance will not be tolerated. Secondly misrepresenting oneself as either a disinterested party or posting with a secondary or ulterior agenda (i.e. shilling) will not be acceptable. Please post your own personal watches for sale on the PX (not here.) Links to watches for sale are permissable as long as they are for discussion purposes. Links to fake and counterfeit watch sites are prohibited. While not mandatory, images of guns, knives, and Ninja spikes in conjunction with your watches are highly encouraged. There is a Zero Tolerance Policy in effect for rude and inconsiderate behavior. Opinions expressed here are those of the poster, and not necessarily those of the management. Any submissions to this site remain the property of the original author/contributor. Anonymous or inconsiderate postings may be deleted at the discretion of a moderator. Contact: admin@broadarrow.net

Old 04-08-2010, 10:38   #1
foilguy

foilguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Compass for lancaster bomber?...

Went to the biggest Antique fair in Europe today. Newark Fair. picked up a couple of bargains ....an '85 CWC Quartz military watch (10), with original regimental strap, and this beast. for 30 i thought what the heck!!

It's sprung, and apparently has the Lancaster? attachment on it. As normally when stored it's just the top part within a grey wooden box.

Part numbers 6A/893 for compass & 6A/366 for the base

foilguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 14:17   #2
Flightpath

Flightpath is a member of MWR in good standing

Hi Paul,

what you have there is an Air Ministry O2 observer's compass for takeing bearings. Used in all larger RAF aircraft inc. Lancaster, Sunderland ect. The compass is usually painted grey, althought yours has the azimuth circle on it the sighting prism with sun filters (mounts on the square lug) is missing.

The mount is to hold it in the observer's position (dome or a hole in the roof) for takeing bearings.

Pilots in Lancasters and Sunderlands had 'Type P4' (Spitfire/Hurricane had P6 until 1941 and then P6/P10).

Hope this helps,

cheers,

-John
Old 04-08-2010, 14:23   #3
lysander

lysander is a member of MWR in good standing

Might be older

Lancaster office:
lysander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 14:24   #4
jimmy jones

jimmy jones is an unknown quantity at this point

that is to cool congrats..
jimmy jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 15:13   #5
foilguy

foilguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info John, appriecated. Obviously someones stripped off the paint and mounted it on the mahogany base. It's one of those interesting curios. For 30 i thought 'would look good on my desk' Plus i always know where north is now Cool to think it was a bit of kit used in one of the WW2 planes.
foilguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 21:40   #6
Flightpath

Flightpath is a member of MWR in good standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander View Post
Might be older
[/IMG]
That's the P.4 pilot's steering compass in the Lancaster, Paul's compass goes in the astrodome for the nav to take bearings (stored when not in use). The nav would take a bearing with his O.2 compass and tell the pilot what to set his P.4 compass at and follow it.

Here's my P.6 compass with a Spitfire A.S.I. & MKII clock and other items in my collection...

The P.6 compass is about 1" diameter smaller than the Lancaster's P.4 compass.

cheers,

-John

Last edited by Flightpath : 04-08-2010 at 21:55.
Flightpath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:59   #7
tmpass

tmpass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A link for you if you haven't viewed it already

http://www.compassmuseum.com/aero/aero.htm

I found my U.S. compass during my house move, it looks very similar to the one in the Lancaster pic John posted above.

I'll take some pics this weekend.

These are definitely nice pieces to pick up on the cheap.. I got mine in a box of aircraft parts. One the pieces was a radial engine thermometer, used for finding dead or non firing cylinders.
tmpass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:00   #8
Klaus

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Only a curios: the base mount is the same of the RAF Astro-compass: it can be used by both the instruments.
Congrats for the nice finds!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote