The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora

Go Back   The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora > Main Forum
Register MWR Homepage MWR New Stuff for Sale MWR Maratac ZULU Straps Calendar Mark Forums Read

Main Forum This is the site for enthusiasts of military timepieces. All discussions related to military timepieces, and watches in general are welcome. While discussing non-issued watches and homage watches is permissible, misrepresentations and/or false claims of military provenance will not be tolerated. Secondly misrepresenting oneself as either a disinterested party or posting with a secondary or ulterior agenda (i.e. shilling) will not be acceptable. Please post your own personal watches for sale on the PX (not here.) Links to watches for sale are permissable as long as they are for discussion purposes. Links to fake and counterfeit watch sites are prohibited. While not mandatory, images of guns, knives, and Ninja spikes in conjunction with your watches are highly encouraged. There is a Zero Tolerance Policy in effect for rude and inconsiderate behavior. Opinions expressed here are those of the poster, and not necessarily those of the management. Any submissions to this site remain the property of the original author/contributor. Anonymous or inconsiderate postings may be deleted at the discretion of a moderator. Contact: admin@broadarrow.net

Old 11-06-2009, 06:03   #1
toms

toms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Richard Marcinko Watches...

Hi folks:

I was flipping through the October issue of International Watch earlier in the week, and noticed it was dedicated to military watches. Most of the content would be fairly common knowledge around here. However, one article mention that Richard Marcinko (yep, that guy) had started a watch company. Apparently he's named it "Rogue Warrior Watches", and the company is producing a couple of different designs.

Anyway, thought you guys might find it of passing interest:
http://www.roguewarriorwatches.com/

Best,
TomS

Last edited by toms : 11-06-2009 at 06:05. Reason: .
toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:21   #2
Jack from Philadelphia

Jack from Philadelphia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default At a glance the dials are all way too busy (nt)

nt

“Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous.” LT Rorke, Act of Valor
Jack from Philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:18   #3
river rat

river rat is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if the kryptolite dial's will stop superman in his tracks.
river rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:24   #4
Rrryan

Rrryan is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost too funny for words. At the same time though I'm kind of left thinking, "Wonder why he waited so long?"

I Already Have a Watch
Rrryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 13:59   #5
cchris800@yahoo.com

cchris800@yahoo.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marcinko wrote at least one book where he related an' old salt had his"original issu

-ed type II diver watch". So he knows about some classics. I don't think I'd trust an author to design a simple dial, though. They by needs...have to have SOME excess immagination.
cchris800@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 16:31   #6
Rich H

Rich H is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty sure that Demo Dick is more than just an author
Not really digging the watches though, it will be good reading once someone does a review.
Rich H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 21:32   #7
6122s

6122s is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought one of the straps, as I have a watch I think it work well on. I had an email thanking me for my business, and was told that they would throw in another strap in appreciation. I am curious to see what exactly will be provided, but a very pleasant experience so far.

Not sure why this is 'too funny for words', but then we're all entitled to our opinions.

I understand he's a real gear guy, and so am I, I bought my first custom knife based on a story of his, and it's been an excellent knife.
6122s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 21:55   #8
L.A.kevin

L.A.kevin has developed a very good reputation at MWRL.A.kevin has developed a very good reputation at MWR

Some of the language on the website is laughable. It seems to me that Commander Marcinko is allowing a marketing company to hawk their watches with his name.
L.A.kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 23:20   #9
HMCSRET

HMCSRET is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Watches bad--Man good

Just a couple of opinions: 1. I really don't care for the watches and agree 100% with Kevin. 2. On a personal note, while reading his book "The Rogue Warrior" I realized that I went to a Navy school with one of the characters in the book. I also think that CDR Marcinko is a "Man's Man" and if you or I would have done a fifth of what he has done (claimed he's done), we sure would have some good stories to tell our grand kids! Regards.
HMCSRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:40   #10
Flightpath

Flightpath is a member of MWR in good standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.kevin View Post
Some of the language on the website is laughable. It seems to me that Commander Marcinko is allowing a marketing company to hawk their watches with his name.
I really 'like' this bit.....

The anti-glare crystal is protected by two solid steel bars. Some operators hone these bars to a sharp point. One operator casually mentioned that "It's not just a watch it's a weapon".

The watches are not my style but go for it if you like 'em!

cheers,

-John
Old 11-11-2009, 20:32   #11
tcps760

tcps760 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This is why it is 'too funny for words'...

From the website's F.A.Q. :

"ROGUE WARRIOR WATCH PHILOSOPHY.
IF YOU THINK PUTTING LADIES UNDERWEAR ON THE HEAD OF A TERRORIST IS TORTURE, YOU DON'T REALLY NEED THIS WATCH.
IF YOU THINK PLAYING LOUD ROCK MUSIC TO A TERRORIST IS TORTURE, YOU DEFINITELY DON'T NEED OUR WATCH.
AND IF YOU THINK CLOSING GITMO IS A GREAT IDEA, THEN WE REALLY DON'T WANT TO SELL YOU A WATCH."

And why most of you will be rubbed wrong by the website :

"QUESTION: DO YOU HAVE ANY MODELS WITH SWISS AUTOMATIC MOVEMENTS?
ANSWER: NO. THE OPERATORS WE DESIGN FOR NEED TO KNOW THAT THEIR WATCH IS SHOWING THE CORRECT TIME. AUTOMATIC MOVEMENTS, EVEN THE EXPENSIVE ONES, ARE KNOWN TO REQUIRE CONSTANT ADJUSTMENT AND CAN LOSE SEVERAL SECONDS A DAY. QUARTZ MOVEMENTS ARE ACCURATE TO (+ OR -) 15 SECONDS A MONTH. MORE OFTEN THAN NOT THEY ARE ACCURATE TO 3 SECONDS (+ OR - ) RANGE A MONTH. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A SEE THRU BACK, OR RUBIES, OR SPINNING WHEELS, THESE ARE NOT FOR YOU."

Here is my question though - if you unscrew the crown to set the time, won't all the krypton gas escape? Sounds like a gimmick. And when was the last time we had troops fighting in "S.E. Asia"? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6122s View Post
I bought one of the straps, as I have a watch I think it work well on. I had an email thanking me for my business, and was told that they would throw in another strap in appreciation. I am curious to see what exactly will be provided, but a very pleasant experience so far.

Not sure why this is 'too funny for words', but then we're all entitled to our opinions.

I understand he's a real gear guy, and so am I, I bought my first custom knife based on a story of his, and it's been an excellent knife.
tcps760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 21:04   #12
Paul

Paul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yawn...

Yes, Marcinko was the real deal, but he has since become a marketing machine. Many others have served with equal dedication but have not chosen to turn their service into a commercial media circus. I doubt too many operators wear his watches.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote