The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora

Go Back   The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora > Main Forum
Register MWR Homepage MWR New Stuff for Sale MWR Maratac ZULU Straps Calendar Mark Forums Read

Main Forum This is the site for enthusiasts of military timepieces. All discussions related to military timepieces, and watches in general are welcome. While discussing non-issued watches and homage watches is permissible, misrepresentations and/or false claims of military provenance will not be tolerated. Secondly misrepresenting oneself as either a disinterested party or posting with a secondary or ulterior agenda (i.e. shilling) will not be acceptable. Please post your own personal watches for sale on the PX (not here.) Links to watches for sale are permissable as long as they are for discussion purposes. Links to fake and counterfeit watch sites are prohibited. While not mandatory, images of guns, knives, and Ninja spikes in conjunction with your watches are highly encouraged. There is a Zero Tolerance Policy in effect for rude and inconsiderate behavior. Opinions expressed here are those of the poster, and not necessarily those of the management. Any submissions to this site remain the property of the original author/contributor. Anonymous or inconsiderate postings may be deleted at the discretion of a moderator. Contact: admin@broadarrow.net

Old 02-20-2009, 09:31   #1
Billy

Billy trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all repute
Default Moisture disk paper ?

Hi all,

anyone have a source for the paper use to make the moisture indicators on vintage Blancpains ? TIA.

Best Regards,

Billy
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:51   #2
John S.

John S. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Billy, I would ask Bill Yao...

...I know he has experimented with them. But his feeling was that they were fairly worthless, and pretty much only gave you an idea of how humid a day it was. LOL.

-John S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Hi all,

anyone have a source for the paper use to make the moisture indicators on vintage Blancpains ? TIA.

Best Regards,

Billy
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 14:06   #3
Yao

Yao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If I find the box of litmus paper that I had

I will send you some. Can't remember if I kept it or tossed it.
Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 14:11   #4
Billy

Billy trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all reputeBilly trust this MWRine with your life. Reputation beyond all repute

Thanks Bill - i really appreciate that ! I hope to chat with you next week ~ enjoy your weekend.

All the very best from your amigo in N.M.

Billy
Old 02-20-2009, 18:30   #5
camfam
Banned

camfam is a member of MWR in good standing
Default It's not litmus paper...

"The moisture sensitive chemical and reference ink shall be applied to a 25-percent rag, 32-weight uncoated, white bond paper stock."

You can buy something similar at Staples, sold as resume paper. You also need a 7/32 (a bit less than 6mm) round punch, pink ink (felt tip marker), and liquid cobalt chloride (check ebay). Cut it in half, it's easier.

There are shortcuts of course. 6mm round stickers.

Cam

camfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 22:21   #6
Yao

Default Didn't realize there was a difference....

I tested the idea using cobalt chloride impregnated paper. I am pretty sure I tossed the paper I had. But I found the catalog where I bought the stuff:

Humidity paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfam View Post
"The moisture sensitive chemical and reference ink shall be applied to a 25-percent rag, 32-weight uncoated, white bond paper stock."

You can buy something similar at Staples, sold as resume paper. You also need a 7/32 (a bit less than 6mm) round punch, pink ink (felt tip marker), and liquid cobalt chloride (check ebay). Cut it in half, it's easier.

Cam

Old 02-20-2009, 22:32   #7
Tim M.

Tim M. is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Cam

Kids' chemistry sets may also have cobalt chloride in crystal form. Dissolve in water and soak your chad of resume paper. I recall making humidity indicator strips in this way when I was a kid.
Tim M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 22:34   #8
camfam
Banned

camfam is a member of MWR in good standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yao View Post
I tested the idea using cobalt chloride impregnated paper. I am pretty sure I tossed the paper I had. But I found the catalog where I bought the stuff:

Humidity paper
That looks like a good option. Liquid Cobalt Chloride is silly expensive and way more than you would need for such a project. Litmus paper is different. It measures PH, not humidity. The paper called for in the Mil-W-22716A spec is fairly heavy-weight, also.

I agree with you, Bill, that this is unnecessary and anachronistic in a modern watch. As for restoration purposes, it is cosmetic only.

Cam
camfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 22:58   #9
Yao

Default I wish it worked though...

Quote:
That looks like a good option. Liquid Cobalt Chloride is silly expensive and way more than you would need for such a project. Litmus paper is different. It measures PH, not humidity. The paper called for in the Mil-W-22716A spec is fairly heavy-weight, also.

I agree with you, Bill, that this is unnecessary and anachronistic in a modern watch. As for restoration purposes, it is cosmetic only.

Cam
it would have been a nice option.
Old 02-21-2009, 16:24   #10
lysander

lysander is a member of MWR in good standing

Where I work we toss a test card with a humidity indicator in each component can before sealing it up. If you leave the cards out on the bench not sealed up, about thirty minutes later they have all turned pink. Faster if it's a rainy day.

lysander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 18:40   #11
Billy

Any chance you'd care to send a few to N.M. ? If you tuck them in a plastic bag (or similiar) would they keep ?

Best Regards,

Billy
Old 02-21-2009, 20:12   #12
lysander

lysander is a member of MWR in good standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Any chance you'd care to send a few to N.M. ? If you tuck them in a plastic bag (or similiar) would they keep ?

Best Regards,

Billy
Sure, but these are on card stock, a little bit thicker than an index card.

PM your address if you still want them.
lysander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 15:12   #13
JDS (Ohio)

JDS (Ohio) is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not surprised at there being a difference, many seemingly mundane items and materials are controlled by rigid standards for people who use them in testing situations, etc. I've purchased and used calibrated and certified water and tape before, paper would not surprise me either.