The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora

Go Back   The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora > Main Forum
Register MWR Homepage MWR New Stuff for Sale MWR Maratac ZULU Straps Calendar Mark Forums Read

Main Forum This is the site for enthusiasts of military timepieces. All discussions related to military timepieces, and watches in general are welcome. While discussing non-issued watches and homage watches is permissible, misrepresentations and/or false claims of military provenance will not be tolerated. Secondly misrepresenting oneself as either a disinterested party or posting with a secondary or ulterior agenda (i.e. shilling) will not be acceptable. Please post your own personal watches for sale on the PX (not here.) Links to watches for sale are permissable as long as they are for discussion purposes. Links to fake and counterfeit watch sites are prohibited. While not mandatory, images of guns, knives, and Ninja spikes in conjunction with your watches are highly encouraged. There is a Zero Tolerance Policy in effect for rude and inconsiderate behavior. Opinions expressed here are those of the poster, and not necessarily those of the management. Any submissions to this site remain the property of the original author/contributor. Anonymous or inconsiderate postings may be deleted at the discretion of a moderator. Contact: admin@broadarrow.net

Old 02-15-2009, 16:50   #1
sbakar

sbakar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help ID'ing a vintage MARATHON

Hi everyone,

I was looking at a vintage Marathon watch on EBay and was trying to get more information on it (i.e. caliber number, pictures of the movement, etc). I have tried many times on Google and some military watch forums, but no luck on finding a similar watch to the one attached.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting

Does anyone know the approximate year/model number/approximate value of such a watch? Is the gold plated or solid? Any other information you may have would be very helpful, especially regarding value.

Thanks!!

SNB
sbakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 17:27   #2
lysander

lysander is a member of MWR in good standing

It looks to be a 10 K rolled gold case (at least it looks like that style TK case taht is rather common). Other than that, all I can say is: it's not a military watch.
lysander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 18:03   #3
sbakar

sbakar is an unknown quantity at this point

It DID seem a bit strange to have a gold case for a military watch!

Does anyone know any other pertinent features of this watch? I have yet to find another example on the Internet. Any info is much appreciated!!

SNB
sbakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 18:50   #4
nepman

nepman is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be interesting to see a history of Marathon, which I never have.

But it appears that they go back at least to the 60s, and were at one time a general importer of timepieces for the Canadian market.

I've seen several "Marathon" pocketwatches on Der Bay which in fact appeared to be older Molnijas. I believe County dot Com in LA recently also had some older Marathon badged windup alarm clocks.

Note my weasel words. I don't know. But the appearances of that history seem strong to me.
nepman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:01   #5
séamuis

séamuis is an unknown quantity at this point

its certainly not military, and the seller is using his google search of marathon and its current watches to associate 'military'. marathon still makes wind up alarm clocks among other things. http://www.marathonwatch.com/site/ca...p?pid=cl070005