The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora

Go Back   The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora > The Ninja Mall
Register MWR Homepage MWR New Stuff for Sale MWR Maratac ZULU Straps Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Ninja Mall This is the forum to discuss all things all things tactical, from gear and equipment to your operational experiences. This is not the forum to express your displeasure with the military, dislike of guns and knives, or waterboarding. As always, there is a Zero Tolerance Policy in effect for rude and inconsiderate behavior. Opinions expressed here are those of the poster, and not necessarily those of the management. Any submissions to this site remain the property of the original author/contributor. Anonymous or inconsiderate postings may be deleted at the discretion of a moderator. Contact: admin@broadarrow.net

Old 02-05-2013, 23:12   #1
Cheshire-Cat

Cheshire-Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I don't always carry a gun.

Cheshire-Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16   #2
nepman

nepman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A cop acquaintance of mine

bought one of the expensive and difficult to obtains .32 Seecamps back in the '80s specifically to have something to carry in swimwear. Yes, a North American .22 would have done that as well, but the notion of John carrying a .22 was inconceivable.

He kept one of those skinny all metal lockback knives, maybe a Mercator Cat sewn in his neck tie.

We once once teased him-he was horribly prudish and loathed dirty jokes-that he would never try nudism because he couldn't conceal a pistol. He was not amused.
nepman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:27   #3
Cheshire-Cat

I've always kind of wanted one of those Seecamp .32's, but I already have this bit of pocket change. Not much that can't be sorted by two rounds of 200 grain Hornady XTP 10mm.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:56   #4
nepman

Guy I used to work with has one of those Bonds in .410 3 inch.

Not the most unpleasant gun I ever fired, certainly, that would likely be a .480 Linebaugh, but not something I ever wanted to fire 10 times in one weekend.
Old 02-07-2013, 13:55   #5
Alanlocal80

Alanlocal80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nice little two-timer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepman View Post
Guy I used to work with has one of those Bonds in .410 3 inch.

Not the most unpleasant gun I ever fired, certainly, that would likely be a .480 Linebaugh, but not something I ever wanted to fire 10 times in one weekend.

The 3" .410 bore is actually very controlable, however the .45 Long Colt has quite a thump to it. Seems I spent the entire Christmas weekend shooting it.

Best Regards,
Alan
Alanlocal80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:18   #6
Cheshire-Cat

Of course it is 100% Alan's fault that I own one.
Old 02-07-2013, 14:49   #7
Alanlocal80

Alanlocal80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ultra-concealable and built like an Abrams tank...

Best Regards,
Alan
Alanlocal80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 15:51   #8
Cheshire-Cat

Still have my eyes peeled for one of the rare .44 Mag barrels. Wish they would make a .41 Rem Mag.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:05   #9
nepman

Not entirely fond of full throttle .41 Mag out of the long-tom Blackhawk. Cannot conceive of it out of a dee-ringer. Can only figure you are an endorphin junky...

I like the caliber, but I use it basically as .45 Colt with better section density. I use the old 240 grain Lee cast (runs 248-250 with my salvage birdshot and wheelweight alloy) with Alox over Unique for 900-925 ft/sec. Non-magnum caps-this is Unique, after all.

It shoots flatter and penetrates deeper than the on-paper numbers would suggest.

This does well out of my NMBH. It is too long for a friend's Smith 57, which is regrettable, since in general his Smith is a tackdriver, and my Ruger is middlin' that way.
Old 02-12-2013, 13:32   #10
Cheshire-Cat

Quote:
Not entirely fond of full throttle .41 Mag out of the long-tom Blackhawk. Cannot conceive of it out of a dee-ringer. Can only figure you are an endorphin junky....
If I'm not mistaken 41 Mag performance is about the same as 10mm. It would be nice to have the same power in a rimmed cartridge.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:41   #11
nepman

Ten Em Em was the service caliber for my county SD. For about a year and a half.

Local merchants hepped up on gun articles and likely Miami Vice donated a large sum of money to the Sheriff's Dep't earmarked for the adaptation of newer more modern service gun to replace the hodgepodge of privately purchased .38 revolvers.

So the Smith 1006 it was. And they were issued...a policy I'm not sure is a good one.

Qualification scores dropped drastically. Parts broke. Officers signed a petition to the Sheriff. Happiness eluded all.

Shortly thereafter, the downloaded 10 was made available, and scores improvified. But the big slabside Smiths were mostly already beat up. Shortly thereafter Federal funds came up, and .40s replaced the snakebitten Tens.
Old 02-15-2013, 19:42   #12
Cheshire-Cat

If i ever find a Smith & Wesson 1006 in good condition I'm going to buy it.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:57   #13
nepman

The Smith Tens were awfully well made, but some of those early lots of ammo were way serious hot. Norma and at least one American make...maybe Federal?

If you can find one not beat up, yeah, I agree.

They were getting some impressive fit and finish in those days. I have an early 645 which it accurate with nearly anything you throw at it, and reliable with most.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58   #14
Cheshire-Cat

Quote:
The Smith Tens were awfully well made, but some of those early lots of ammo were way serious hot. Norma and at least one American make...maybe Federal?

If you can find one not beat up, yeah, I agree.

They were getting some impressive fit and finish in those days. I have an early 645 which it accurate with nearly anything you throw at it, and reliable with most.
Believe me, I have first hand experience with too-hot 10mm. I think the American make you are thinking of might be Winchester's early 10mm Silvertips.

Ultimately the downfall of 10mm was that Norma exceeded Jeff Cooper's original spec by too large a margin. Instead of his 200gr@1000 fps, they went for 200gr@1200 fps plus, which of course is magnum force. Then the FBI went too far the other way, downloading it to 180gr@950 fps (and the misbegotten .40 cartridge can't handle 200gr pills -- someone explain sectional density to the FBI). OTOH, I've always preferred the recoil impulse of max loads (a la Buffalo Bore) vs the mid-range 10mm loads.