The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora

Go Back   The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora > Off-Topic
Register MWR Homepage MWR New Stuff for Sale MWR Maratac ZULU Straps Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Welcome to the BroadArrow Off-Topic. This is where MWRines can talk about off-topic issues that are not appropriate for the Main Forum. Here, you are free to talk about *almost* anything, however, the discussion must remain civil, and free from attacks against race, ethnicity, religion, and gender. Once again, there is a zero tolerance policy for rudeness and personal attacks. Acceptable topics include, but are not limited to cool gadgets, food, guns, cars, knives, tactics,etc. Unacceptable topics include personal attacks, and defamation of personal beliefs and opinions. Opinions expressed here are those of the poster, and not necessarily those of the management. Postings deemed to be in poor taste or in violation of these rules may be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Postings which may contain images and/or content deemed inappropriate for the workplace shall be marked [NWS] (Not Work Safe) in the subject line. Postings that promote/advocate criminal activity will be removed and the users banned. Contact: admin@broadarrow.net

Old 09-09-2012, 21:06   #1
DaveH

DaveH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Probably the coolest music video I've ever seen

Full screen is best.

http://thinksoul25.com/2012/03/19/in...are-too-close/
DaveH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49   #2
foilguy

foilguy is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting.....one of the girls in my fencing club is a 2nd Dan in this. Always wondered why she charged in like a bull elephant, now i know why. Great song. Not sure about the martial art. Give me a rapier or a sabre any day of the week.
foilguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:29   #3
DaveH

Default It's just a great piece of film

I know that I don't want some guy after me with one of those Kendo sticks.

I took a semester of fencing in college. The instructor was an asshole and kept slapping the inside of my thighs with the sword, apparently to get my attention. We wore short gym shorts in those days and my legs would be red and hurting. One day I selected a foil with the tip broken and simply wrapped with a piece of adhesive tape. When he came around to slap the shit out of me, I got him just under the mask, squarely in the throat. He was bleeding, it was great.

I never finished the class. I admired the grace and form as well as the physical aspects of fencing, but I was better at football.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45   #4
nepman

nepman is an unknown quantity at this point

Their is a quite beautiful on Kendo by Yukio Mishima. I must read it again.
nepman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46   #5
nepman

nepman is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a quite beautiful ESSAY on Kendo by Yukio Mishima...etc.
nepman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 15:04   #6
foilguy

foilguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave, Your old fencing coach sounds like a real asshole. Well done on the improvisation, surprised you showed so much restaint. One of my coaches was an hungarian ex world champion in Epee. A solid guy, literally, had one of the biggest beer bellies going. Couldn't picture him chasing me around the piste slapping me, other than with the point hitting my chest.
foilguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:12   #7
CAMSFIRIE

CAMSFIRIE is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a little fencing when I was a young fella. My Dad and I used to manage around a half mile a day of strainer posts, star pickets, double strand barbed wire and ringlock.
CAMSFIRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 14:51   #8
DaveH

Default I'm a chain link guy myself

Some experience with concertina w/no posts.
Old 10-01-2012, 21:38   #9
raventrooper

raventrooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
Hi Dave, Your old fencing coach sounds like a real asshole. Well done on the improvisation, surprised you showed so much restaint. One of my coaches was an hungarian ex world champion in Epee. A solid guy, literally, had one of the biggest beer bellies going. Couldn't picture him chasing me around the piste slapping me, other than with the point hitting my chest.
No fencing instructor worth his salt would allow his students to show up in shorts, especially in epée. Dave's coach got what he evidently deserved.

My old master was a gold medalist for Hungary in Sabre in the '56 Games in Melbourne. I finally had to give up fencing when I got a pacemaker last year at age 74. If I get whacked in that area, it could break the leads.

Evidently in kendo, point attacks aren't allowed, because those openings are obvious. Until they prohibited crossing of steps a few years ago, most Sabre matches involved a lot of running, and one way to defend against headlong rushes like that was to put out a line first (i.e., extend your arm with the weapon straight) and let the charger run on your blade.

Great sport, although the electrics messed up the clean attack/riposte action of sabre.
raventrooper is offline   Reply With Quote