Thread: Omega Weems Dial Question

Default Omega Weems Dial Question

Do you guys think this Omega dial has been reprinted? The printing of the minute track looks to be fairly thick when compared to others I've seen. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Thinking the whole dial was refinished, but a long time ago. Minute track is too far in from the edge. If you look at others. Sits closer to the edge and minute hand tip sits halfway inside

I could be wrong. Might be other variations of the dial with minor changes

DON

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    Thinking the whole dial was refinished, but a long time ago. Minute track is too far in from the edge. If you look at others. Sits closer to the edge and minute hand tip sits halfway inside

I could be wrong. Might be other variations of the dial with minor changes

DON
    Thanks Don. I see what you mean about the minute track being further in. The minute and seconds hands should fall within the center of it. Does anyone know if there is a way of removing just the printing on a dial, while leaving the dial paint intact? I've seen dials that have absolutely perfect printing but very aged dial paint.

Default compare

image credit: marturx OF

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo85281 View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a way of removing just the printing on a dial, while leaving the dial paint intact? I've seen dials that have absolutely perfect printing but very aged dial paint.
    Would leave it as is. Your not removing a spot and trying could damage it completely.

DON

Would leave it as is. Your not removing a spot and trying could damage it completely.

DON
    The watch pictured is not mine but I was considering buying it. I would never touch it but I was just curious whether that was possible as I've seen some watches where there's no other way to explain what I was seeing. I've even owed some watches that seem to have a very well aged dial but the print literally has sheen to it still. I'm just wondering how that's potentially accomplished without wiping the whole dial clean and starting from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo85281 View Post
    The watch pictured is not mine but I was considering buying it. I would never touch it but I was just curious whether that was possible as I've seen some watches where there's no other way to explain what I was seeing. I've even owed some watches that seem to have a very well aged dial but the print literally has sheen to it still. I'm just wondering how that's potentially accomplished without wiping the whole dial clean and starting from scratch.
    Sheen could be the paint. I have an old 1940's Omega dial and the paint still has a sheen to it. Dial may age, but paint may not. Depends on where one lived and conditions (arid, humid, hot/cold etc.)

All could have effects on the condition of dials

Usually a tell tale spot is to check the edge of a dial. Most will have a small mark, so refinisher knows where to line up for printing. Always at 3, 6, 9 and 12

DON

Usually a tell tale spot is to check the edge of a dial. Most will have a small mark, so refinisher knows where to line up for printing. Always at 3, 6, 9 and 12

DON
    Interesting. I didn't know about those marks. Do you know how much the weems dial reprint above would impact value? 20%, 30% more?

I think it’s worth mentioning that many Omega Weems have re-finished dials. I’ve seen a few which look to be the same re-print, and that leads me to think they were probably done by the MoD. The reason I mention is because I find MoD re-dials absolutely fine, but later re-dials unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by rodabod View Post
    I think it’s worth mentioning that many Omega Weems have re-finished dials. I’ve seen a few which look to be the same re-print, and that leads me to think they were probably done by the MoD. The reason I mention is because I find MoD re-dials absolutely fine, but later re-dials unacceptable.
    Do have any idea whether the one I posted looks like the re-finished examples you've seen?

I've had a few if these, I'll have to dig out the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    I've had a few if these, I'll have to dig out the pics.
    That would be awesome, thanks!

Here's one. Sold to a member here. Interesting as it's had a fixed bezel installed. It's an Raf omega weems though.
    Omega 1 https://imgur.com/a/HhyqK
    Omega https://imgur.com/a/mvn9q

The other 2 are on my PC, so I'll grab tomorrow.

Here's one. Sold to a member here. Interesting as it's had a fixed bezel installed. It's an Raf omega weems though.
    Omega 1 https://imgur.com/a/HhyqK
    Omega https://imgur.com/a/mvn9q

The other 2 are on my PC, so I'll grab tomorrow.
    I don't get how this is a Weems. It only has one crown. Isn't it a 53 or 56 6b/159?

Do the sleuthing inspector.

here's another example i once owned. This one had the bezel reprofiled, though still sporting the marked caseback. heres the re-link to the earlier posted, image posted above.

Do the sleuthing inspector.
    Haha, now I see it!

dial three i had, in a 9 ct gold civi dennison case.