Thread: Omega WWW Hands that Glow When Exposed to Light

Default Omega WWW Hands that Glow When Exposed to Light

I recently purchased my first vintage military watch. The online retailer represented the watch as being manufactured in 1945 and containing its original radium lume. Upon receiving the watch, I noticed that the hands glowed when exposed to bright light. My understanding was that radium, unlike tritium, does not respond to "charging" with bright light. After shining a UV light on the watch, the hands also glowed with a greater intensity and for a longer duration than the dial. I have contacted the retailer, who states that this level of inconsistency between radium dials and hands is normal for military watches. Is he correct? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Tim

any chance of a dial image Tim, or a link to the retailer's FS page..

here are some instructions for posting images to the forum -

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...s-to-the-forum

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    any chance of a dial image Tim, or a link to the retailer's FS page..

here are some instructions for posting images to the forum -

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...s-to-the-forum

Hands are quite nicely re-lumed. But definitely not the original Radium. Sometimes dials will have their original Radium lume “topped up” with Tritium, especially if it is minty green in colour.

That dial is not an original series as it doesn’t have a ring around the subseconds dial. It has a dished subseconds register, so my first guess would be an MoD re-print. Maybe compare the the early flat MoD dials which were high quality.

Interesting, I never thought about using UV light on mine so I did just now... the whole collection. Almost every single one glows bright green under UV light, apart from my US Stocker & Yale's and Marathon's which have orange lume at the 12 O'clock position.

Some stay 'bright for a while afterwards, most don't. My Moeris ATP/H.S. 11 Circled T hardly glows when I hold it against a light bulb....incredibly bright under UV.

My original Record WWW (Radium) next to nothing under both normal and UV. My MOD Dial Lemania WWW stays bright green for quite a while after UV light. The NATO dialled WWW (W10/445-9830) glows a nice green. But my earlier MOD dialled Record WWW (10034 dial) glows Orange under UV light, take it away and then the glow is Green!!

Thank you for your help. I have returned the watch to the retailer, and am awaiting a full refund. My next purchase will be Konrad Krimm's British Military Timepieces. Crisis averted, but it could have been avoided all together with more due diligence on my part. I really appreciate it.

Best,

Tim

Just so you know. Radium or Tritium don't need light to activate them, but it will react if you shine a light on them. Same as luminova

What your test did was show the hands have been redone

DON