Thread: Bargain trench watch.

Default Bargain trench watch.

Once again a seller is persuaded to finish a listing early at a bargain price.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-W...p2047675.l2557

This centre second watch would have been one of the most high-tech and expensive watches available at the time but the important thing is the owner.
    All the experts would have us believe that watches of this quality were only worn by officers and gentlemen but this man was a bombardier (equivalent to a corporal). He was mentioned in the London Gazette in 1916 so was clearly at the sharp end of World War I.
    I hope the buyers is a fan of this forum and let us have more information.

Regards Harvey.

Default auction images

VINTAGE/WW1 WATCH FOR SPARES REPAIR, INSCRIBED WITH UK SOLDIERS NAME, 30 MM

Not working

Sold for: 60.00 GBP - 1 bid

I have seen only two manufacturers of centre second watches during WW1, one was Gallet but I forget the other.
    Mainly advertised for use by hospital staff, some even had a red cross on the dial. Not overly expensive, most used a 7 jewel lever movement, ompared to a chronograph at nearly twice the price, and an ordinary watch at a pound or two less!

Some contemporary adverts.

EDIT- the dial looks to be identical to the Smiths watch, possibly is one with name cleaned off, as they were just inked on by the importer.
    Farewell to WTU

It is disappointing when the auction is ended early....Couple of mine.

Very nice collection of center seconds you've got there Raymondo5508.

Thanks for the information and pictures.Longines also made a centre second watch pre-World War I and by this time also made a chronograph wristwatch.
    I've just done a quick check and bombardier Harvey would be earning two shillings and 3d a day so this watch would have represented almost a month's wages. I expect this watch would be the equivalent of the latest iPhone and too good to resist for a young man with a couple of months pay in his pocket. I will certainly view those grainy pictures of soldiers with watches on their wrists in a new light.

Regards Harvey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
    I've just done a quick check and bombardier Harvey would be earning two shillings and 3d a day so this watch would have represented almost a month's wages. I expect this watch would be the equivalent of the latest iPhone and too good to resist for a young man with a couple of months pay in his pocket. I will certainly view those grainy pictures of soldiers with watches on their wrists in a new light.

Regards Harvey.
    Yes, watches were expensive until very recently. Right through until the 1950s and '60s a half decent watch was a serious outlay, as you say a bit like an iPhone or something.

An example:

1964 a stainless steel Smiths automatic (SW.201/E) was now only 21 (a price drop from 25 in 1959). That equates to about 400 today.

The basic gold version (SW.501/E) was 37 10/- which is about 700 today and the posh one (SW.502 9k gold but gilt dial, posh strap and face "presentation" box) was now only 46 (down from 50 in 1959) and now about 870

They also added a fourth model to the lineup: SW.301/E in a gold-plated case, same price at the SS version (21 / 400).

So pretty much smart phone territory, price-wise.

(P.S. in 1964 a Rolex Submariner was 100.)
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post

Some contemporary adverts.

I have the Smiths & Sons pictured on the left of this ad.
    Nice watch. it was supposedly waterproof...

Quote Originally Posted by stiocour View Post
    I have the Smiths & Sons pictured on the left of this ad.
    Nice watch. it was supposedly waterproof...
    David Boettcher tested an old WW1 Borgel case, and found it didn't let any water in when left in a sink full of water for a few minutes, not bad for a hundred year old watch!

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/waterproof.php#Borgel
    Farewell to WTU

Quote Originally Posted by pilotswatch View Post
    Very nice collection of center seconds you've got there Raymondo5508.
    Thanks. I do have an early Longines center seconds as well. Couple more pics of some others in my collection.....

Wow , impressive. Why not add a picture of your chronographs from the same era. Id love to see them.

Hi Pilotswatch
    Yes I will take some pictures later today and post them on this thread. I will need to dig into the safe.
    Cheers Russell.

Hi Pilotswatch,
    As requested the four chronographs i own.

Absolutely wonderful. Theses are amazing. They’re all functional ? The movements are early Lemanias?
    Thanks for taking the time to post a picture.

Yes they are all functioning as they should. The bottom two have the same movement as do the top two.
    Cheers Russell.

Beautiful!
    Farewell to WTU

The second chronograph with the pusher at 2 has the Montbrillant stamp on a movement plate when my watchmaker had it apart when overhauling it.
    Cheers Russell.

Tremendous, thanks for posting.