Thread: Our missile test alert

Default Our missile test alert

web1_20180116_screenshot.jpg

The state emergency agency that broadcast the erroneous alert released this photo today. It's not the actual menu screen for activating the network broadcast (which they are keeping confidential pending several announced investigations into the alert) but one they say accurately represents what the operator saw when he activated the alert broadcast. The first menu option was the one they wanted to use, the drill only command. The second I believe is the recall or false alarm notice that they did send -- 34 minutes later. The third is the notice they broadcast in conjunction with monthly siren tests; we've always had those for tsunamic alerts, and they just reinstituted the nuclear alert sirens a couple of months ago, because of the North Korean situation. The fourth was what they did issue -- the real missile warning. The local reaction on seeing this has been "what moron put all these on the same drop down menu?".

Sometimes you gotta wonder.....

Mahalo,

Andy

If that is really how the menu is laid out then it's both hilarious and terrible. I read a book a while back about nuclear weapons and the various stories and blunders associated. Very scary stuff. Plus there is this... http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...-war_n_4386784

When I was a kid growing up in Ottawa, lightning would hit our Nuclear Missile Warning Sirens. The effect of the siren going off & the heavy lightning storm was quite unforgettable. Pretty apocalyptic, but very cool to us kids. don't think my Mom found it cool at all. Happened on a pretty regular basis too.

Back in the 70s, Tucson was surrounded by missile silos and alarms; the alarms were tested on the first Saturday of the month.
    You got so used to hearing them that usually you'd just tune them out, until there was a mistake and the alarms were tested out of cycle without prior notification...
    msa6712
    Z-7

As a kid growing up outside Melbourne, Australia in the 1960s I'd never heard of all this (we were never taught to hide under our school desks!).

When I moved to Norway 15 years ago I found it strange that every large building has a huge bomb shelter. The school where I work has enough bomb shelter space for around 1000 people. There are still stocks of tools, water tanks, first aid kits, cots, shower curtains, portable toilets.......

Some kids ripped a large pressure gauge from the wall of one shelter that was to show the outside air pressure....... it looks cool on my garage wall with it's warning plate.

-John