Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Singapore Survivor

I told father about my post on this thread regarding four Corvettes guarding India. His reply was as follows. "Not just India the whole bloody lot, four Corvettes and a sloop"(he meant everything between Aden and Australia).
    Sometime later there was a short sea battle off Trincomalee. One of the four Corvettes, the Tulip was hit by a single shell, she sank with all hands in under a minute. Fathers ship the Aster was two hours ahead and in port by this time. As the saying goes it's better to be born lucky than rich.

Regards Harvey

That's a lovely watch with a great history!
    One of my teachers was a signaller in 8th Div. AIF.. He became a good friend many years later.
    John said that his unit practially walked down the gangplank at Singapore and were told that they were surrendering. He and his mates suffered so much under the Japanese. He used to bring his lunch to school in a Japanese mess kit and gave me the new uniform he was issued after Changi was liberated.

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    As for serious efforts to evacuate anything I don't think so, everything was in a panic even the Australian Commander General Gordon Bennett sneaked away, deserting his men, believing that he and only he held the key to allied victory. From the early days in Malaya until the fall of Singapore the Japanese were left to use tens of thousands of tons of fuel, equipment and weapons as they saw fit. It was not the fall of Singapore which was the worst military disaster in British military history, but the incompetent, inept and sometimes cowardly manner in which the Island Fortress fell.
    And then you have real leaders such as Toosey who refused to leave when ordered as he wanted to stay with his men!

A slight exaggeration, there were some Royal Navy, Indian Navy, USN and Dutch ships in the Bay of Bengal but not many and most are still there, beneath the waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
    I told father about my post on this thread regarding four Corvettes guarding India. His reply was as follows. "Not just India the whole bloody lot, four Corvettes and a sloop"(he meant everything between Aden and Australia).
    Sometime later there was a short sea battle off Trincomalee. One of the four Corvettes, the Tulip was hit by a single shell, she sank with all hands in under a minute. Fathers ship the Aster was two hours ahead and in port by this time. As the saying goes it's better to be born lucky than rich.

Regards Harvey
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this