Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benrus Type 1 Sterile Ebay

Default Benrus Type 1 Sterile Ebay

I just ran across this in completed ebay transactions. I didn't buy it, but i was wondering if it is legit as it seems NOS and pretty cool. It has springbars which i think i read was common in sterile ones.

Does the watch seem legit to you all?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Benrus...p2047675.l2557

Default auction images

Rare Benrus Sterile Type 1 A Special Ops Divers Watch Unworn W/ Original Box

Closed: 5000.0 USD [Buy It Now] - Bid Count: 0

No, it's a modern reproduction.

I have to disagree with the previous poster. I believe it's legit. The case looks right. Spring bars are normal for these early models, and these spring bars are unique in style to this watch. The dial is the unique pie pan version with the Swiss marks at the bottom and these two traits only appeared on the early sterile models. The crystal edge, which has been hard to reproduce, also looks correct, and the crown looks just right. The 1969 date seems on the box seems a little early, but we have figured out that the box dates represent the production date based on contracts and not necessarily the issue dates.

Two things did stand out to me. First, the lume seems very bright for 45 years old, but it is lumed correctly based on the spec. Second, I believe the original strap was different with a claw-like sliding buckle instead of a standard buckle and tang.

The box also looks right. I have several boxes from Benrus field watches of the same era, and the box style is nearly identical. It would have been nice to see the movement, which in the case of the sterile model, would and been the GS 1D2 version and not the KG version.

Aside from that, it looks quite right. I didn't see the original listing when it was first posted, but if I had, I might have pulled the trigger on this one. I have owned three sterile models and I've never been able to figure out the serial number sequencing, but the number does seem appropriate.

I kept hoping it would turn up again (such as on this forum) with a bit more information.

I agree with all you say, cant think how I missed it too. The only thing it lacks is some service history. Great find

I must say I've had a look on a bigger/better monitor and a few concerns have evaporated, however there are still a few question marks for me -

The second hand - I've never seen one like this before on this model. [But if a very close copy in every other respect why is the second hand obviously different?]

The lume - all I can imagine here is the seller used UV light, as it wouldn't normally fluoresce like this otherwise.

The dimple, to me, seems too large and I remember one type of homage that had this feature.

The bezel font and positioning looks off - usually they are printed closer to the centre than the edge, but I can see now that there is that '3D' effect on one of the pics.

-

Given that it's very early, perhaps some of these characteristics above like the second hand were just the initial run design. It's in amazing condition anyway.

ETA: Dimple -

(C. Colin/Nalu)

Last edited by Andy_s; 01-01-2018 at 04:34.

Default auction text

Nice history.

I think it mite be legit and the strap was how they were made back then see how the seems and hole were melted that's how they made them in the old days. And the dimple on the crown the lume how it was applied all old lume will glow for a short period then go dim real fast. But the tip of the sweep hand looks different only photo on file of my type II my tip is different other wise every thing else looks correct. That difference in the sweep hand concerns me.
    Last edited by river rat; 01-01-2018 at 07:12.

It's early in the morning so excuse my bad photo this morning of my type II

Correct sweep hand see the tip of the one we are talking about it's wrong.
    Here are better photo's of one that just sold on the PX you can really see the difference from a original type I
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...inal-condition

So basically from above ... very slight variation in crown dimple and bezel number placement, and an obviously different second hand. But everything else looks too perfect to be a fake. Seems to support the current theory that these sterile ones are early run/prototypes.

Perhaps lume picture was taken immediately after a modern flashlight scorching?

For 5 grand I would not of took a chance on some thing that could be a fake. A lot of money to loose. Billy's book Zero hour has all three types the Type I & II and the sterile none with that sweep hand so the sweep hands wrong a fake in my book. Just like the stubies on a dial of a fake Omega 300 tell you it's fake. And the one in Billy's book the issue numbers and the sterile look larger 7 numbers just like 7 numbers in the fleabay one.
    Last edited by river rat; 01-01-2018 at 09:40.

I think the history given is very plausable, and would agree the lume has most likely been enhanced with uv. Everything about this example looks to be original. I have never come across a second hand like the one shown, but surely , if someone went to this extreme to create a fake, it would be a nonsense to finish it off with a so obviously incorrect piece like that. It is just too good to accept that suggestion. It could also be a very early example, prone to anomalies. Not sure about the quality of the pics, I cant see any vertical striations on the sides of the case, But there was another very early sterile in very nice condition sold earlier this year, and the seller did point out that his example also lacked these vertical striations, and it looked to have been polished/ ground in a horizontal direction. Im going with spot on original, and if I had seen the ad, I wquld have hit the button right away.

Meant to add that the earlier one that sold also had the straight 7, its on this site , posted by a member, It also had the raised crystal and the very singular spring bars. That makes 2 know examples, very similar,sold in the last year. That might appear suspicious to some. I'm still going with the real deal. Hope i'm not wrong.

From Billy's book the one on Ebay a FAKE some one got bamboozled badly.

SEE HANDS

Hi

While all the experts are here can I ask opinions on this watch, it showed up for sale earlier today at what seems like a decent price $2700 (although EU based) The only details I have so far is that its running well, previous owner drilled the lugs for some reason

Regards
    Mr.H

Quote Originally Posted by MR.H View Post
    Hi

While all the experts are here can I ask opinions on this watch, it showed up for sale earlier today at what seems like a decent price $2700 (although EU based) The only details I have so far is that its running well, previous owner drilled the lugs for some reason

Regards
    Mr.H
    Congrats looks like you got a good one compared to the 5000 grand one some got taken to the cleaners on. Looks like some one mite of replaced the fixed bars ?

One thing that's unique to the bezel ring the numbers got a 3D effect if you own one you know what I am talking about don't see that in the 5000 dollar fake one.

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    Congrats looks like you got a good one compared to the 5000 grand one some got taken to the cleaners on. Looks like some one mite of replaced the fixed bars ?
    Thanks, I havnt finalized on it yet, yes the fixed bars are replaced. That eBay one sure does look fake especially around the back of the crown guards + I don't think its a UV lume shot otherwise at least some fluff would have also been lit up in the pic

Regards
    Mr.H

not if not sure your referring to the one watch on ebay, the sterile, but all,if not most of the early steriles did not have fixed bars. OK got it now, your ref is on both watches.