Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Smiths Mk X just sold on ebay . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Create View Post
    Thought I should add mine, all images disappeared due to bloody Photobucket, but all sorted now.
    There is a workaround -- you can add extensions in Chrome and Firefox to show old Photobucket pics.

Lovely watch though -- those LC-style dials are pure Lenoir, surely? (!!!!!)
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    ....Visible on the 13322 cases of the Mk X illustrated so far is what appears to be a case mod in a different coloured metal to form a lip for the 13 ligne flange and tighten up the rest of the mid case for the 12 ligne mvt. This 'case mod' sometimes having the Dennison numbers stamped on it (see Isologue's post above), as is there practice on the 3 piece cases, is very strong evidence that Dennison manufactured the cases specifically for the Smiths Mark X and 1315 mvt watches?
    Just a P.S. - closer examination of my mid case indicates a line inscribed around the mid case ring, whose inner area has been milled down in the other examples (except 3621). Both of my dial screws also appear to be flush with the dial, unlike other examples....?!

Well that's that all clear and sorted then. Very interesting.

We need to get the relevant owners to hook up with Owen for a comparison. I’d love to know about these case details.

From my later Smiths research (which I intend to send to Barry) they were heavily engaged with Dennison regarding the Deluxe case design. The difference here, as mentioned already, is that wartime obviously meant constraints on time and possibly money.

One thing we need to remember about these war-time Smiths is that many have 6B/159 cases. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 6B/159 is almost by definition a Mk.VII centre-seconds watch... so why would an 'issued' sub-secs Smiths be in a 6B/159 c/sec case... unless these were donor cases for product development?

The official Mk.X 6B/300 order c.1944/45 would almost certainly have used a new allocation of Dennison cases made-for-Smiths which carried over to the 'civilian' 13-ligne. Some war-time 6B/159 c/s may well have had a heart transplant, down-graded to a /300 sub-sec with a newly rebated case to suit. Food for thought!

Thanks Roddy, I'm looking forward to seeing those documents.

Barry

well that was a bit of an anticlimax for me I'm afraid especially as I was allowed to stay up late on a school night to watch the auction end; so now we know the market value with that dial..

I reckon that given that dial, the understandable but still mismatched case numbers and the recent history I thought it was a pretty good price, hopefully both buyer and seller are content. I think it shows that Revo is there or thereabouts concerning the value of one dialled in the 'LC stylee' being in the 2-3k region minimum on the open market, and who knows with issue numbers and matching case numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by michael e View Post
    The mid case is numbered 5917, the case back 3917 and the bezel 3917 so I think the mid case number might be human error as opposed to a put together...
    ah.. yes.. forgotten about that..

I cannot see the case numbers being an issue, it would have to be a massive coincidence that the following three numbers matched, 5 and 3 are easy to mistake when looking at a small punch I would imagine.

A mismatched case in my mind would be one where the numbers are completely different like we see on W.W.Ws sometimes and that still doesn't stop people from buying them.

Cheers, Michael

Hi Michael, as I said "understandable but still mismatched", you probably are right about operator error with the 5 and 3 but surely you are not suggesting that a set of 3 matching numbers isn't a better scenario when viewed as a potential purchaser?

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    Hi Michael, as I said "understandable but still mismatched", you probably are right about operator error with the 5 and 3 but surely you are not suggesting that a set of 3 matching numbers isn't a better scenario when viewed as a potential purchaser?
    No, not suggesting that, it would have been much simpler with four matching numbers, I would think any potential buyer would simply put it down to human error too and not a mismatched case, a mismatched case to me is one where the numbers have no relation at all and that in fact they never came as one at the start of the watches assembly, I am not saying the 5 and 3 being mixed would not have put people off but do believe the case started life like this and was not a later added case back but just that someone needed to go to specsavers at the Dennison factory.

All that being said, when will another of these Smiths mark X watches with issue marks come up for sale in any condition?

Cheers, Michael

Hi Michael
    Regarding the smiths that you now sold
    The case body serial no, 5917 is not a mistake
    I believe that the 1942 date on the case back is the year these were issued on the centre seconds movement (6b 300)

This movement has some faults.
    With seconds pinion and the friction spring
    In it short life of military use the solderd lug bar probley broke
    And was sent back to stores for a repair
    The quicker the repair was essential so they used a case body from another smiths ( 6b 300) mostly likely from one that had been damaged ( broken glass / broken balance)

It does raise the question? Was their 2000 Dennisson cases made to take Smiths 1315 centre seconds watch to full fill a contract for 6b 300 specification

When you replaced the bolt spring pt no 445
    Did you replace it with the style for the 1315 movement
    Or did you fit a 1215 style, and if so did it have it tail ( the bit that cover the minute wheel to stop it coming out of mesh) to the Left or Right
    Tudor