Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Smiths Mk X just sold on ebay . . . .

HI Rodabod At Birmingham fair over coffee we can have a MK X meeting I bring several movements along Owen

Thanks Owen for your clarification re lack of DNA.

We have to remember there was a war on! Everything Smiths made was sanctioned by the MoS or MAP. The Swiss would not allow their watches to be made in Britain, so the most likely scenario was massive government orders pre-war to be cased up in the UK in readiness... some by Smiths?

There is no way Smiths was in a position to volume produce wristwatches in 1940 - larger pocket- and stop-watches yes (they were essentially calotte clocks!) for they still had Williamson's expertise in-house even though they didn't continue to make Astral pocket-watches.

As a major government repair contractor in 1938/39, Smiths repaired all manner of aircraft instruments, making new parts as necessary... so I am pretty sure the early 'Mk.X' was first developed as a 'universal' fit movement to replace war-damaged movements... such as J-LCs. I suspect that when in 1944 the government bowed to pressure to develop a post-war British watch industry that the 'Mk.X' was then ordered by the RAF as a test/trial piece.

There is so about Smiths that we may never know!

Re: speedos. Smiths and North co-patented their first governor speedo c.1904 which Smiths built from 1913. The Jaeger was a chronometric (clock-work) governed speedo. Smiths essentially bought Jaeger (speedo/car clocks) to stop Joe Lucas getting hold of them! Lucas was Smiths' main rival in the motor trade. They didn't buy Jaeger UK for clocks and watches. ABEC is another matter!

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tudor View Post
    HI Rodabod At Birmingham fair over coffee we can have a MK X meeting I bring several movements along Owen
    Hi Owen,

That would be great! I'll see if I'm at work during the upcoming fairs.

Roddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tudor View Post
    I will be at Birmingham fair helping a mate out so will bring the MK X if you would like to see it.

Cheers, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael e View Post
    I will be at Birmingham fair helping a mate out so will bring the MK X if you would like to see it.

Cheers, Michael
    Is that the one on Jan 21st? It's just down the road from me but Sunday mornings are bust here. . . .
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Is that the one on Jan 21st? It's just down the road from me but Sunday mornings are bust here. . . .
    Yes, On the 21st

Thanks, Michael

I’m off work that Sunday. Ollie, could you just send an email “up there” and ask if you can get that Sunday off?

I could be there till about 10 if that helps? By the time of the next one I might have something 13 linge of my own to show you, if present plans come to pass. Cant say more now and hate counting chicken etc but

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...10&version=NLT
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I have seen this dial print quite recently, even have an image of it somewhere!

if I recall correctly it was on one of the ATPs...

here it is, a triple dot and a dash -

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    This is slightly off beam but how common was it to screw the dial on from the front like this? Did many manufacturers do it?...
    Quote Originally Posted by rodabod View Post
    Not very common. But which manufacturer did commonly do this at the time?....... JLC.

ah, the missing Newmark - JLC link, or is it the missing Newmark - Smiths link?

Unitas:

I'm still wondering why the Smiths Mk X is completely sterile. Dial, movement, case -- all unsigned.

I know the GSTP pocket watches are also sterile. It seems strange that they are both blank and I had wondered if was to keep our watchmaking efforts (or, in the case of wristwatches, attempts) secret in the event of capture.

I'm still wondering why...
    also non luminous ? ?

The Mk.X was not built for the commercial market. It is not all unusual in contracted manufacture for a company not to display its name... it may even be a requirement. Witness the Garrard Smiths 1215/1218. And there was a war on....

As to secrecy, Spitfires funded under the Spitfire Fund ('Smithfire') were devoid of acknowledgements to protect the factories from bombing if shot down in enemy held territory.

I'm still wondering why the Smiths Mk X is completely sterile. Dial, movement, case -- all unsigned.

I know the GSTP pocket watches are also sterile. It seems strange that they are both blank and I had wondered if was to keep our watchmaking efforts (or, in the case of wristwatches, attempts) secret in the event of capture.
    Ah, I know I'd asked this before and Martin answered:

Quote Originally Posted by isologue View Post
    Smiths wartime pocket watches and stop watches were sterile but there was no fast rule: Revue made pocket watches were sterile for instance and the standard Lemania stop watches were sterile too. Some WWII pocket watches were seen with marked dials and/or signed movements, however. You can see the same features in the ATP issue: some signed; others not.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)
    Source: http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ches-please-ID