Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smiths Everest 18 jewels

Oliver, congratulations to you for clearing a path. I think that all sounds perfectly sensible and absolutely the right thing to be happening. I am hoping to have found a copy but the bookseller hasn't responded yet. I don't have access to any good quality or labour saving scanning equipment but would happily lend the catalogue to someone who did. I do have a decent quality camera and wouldn't mind spending the time photographing the pages over a prolonged period but I suspect getting the pages perfectly flat etc would cause unsatisfactory results.

Wow, that was quick. Good work Ollie and fantastic to hear that The Smiths Group don't mind you reproducing their materials.

What I have done in the past for such material is scan - I have a dedicated A3 flat bed scanner - to images, edit as required and then make a PDF document from the images, being sure to embed all required fonts. This PDF document can then be electronically distributed as is or uploaded for printing at such places as lulu.com. I have printed copies of the UK and US military specification documents gracing my shelves for example. I think lulu and many of the other self-publishing sites will also act as a storefront and allow you to sell electronic and printed versions of the book to offset your costs if you were inclined to do so to offset your costs. Obviously, just my 0:02.

Having said that, if you are looking for donations to help get things scanned where do I signup ?

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    Oliver, congratulations to you for clearing a path. I think that all sounds perfectly sensible and absolutely the right thing to be happening. I am hoping to have found a copy but the bookseller hasn't responded yet. I don't have access to any good quality or labour saving scanning equipment but would happily lend the catalogue to someone who did. I do have a decent quality camera and wouldn't mind spending the time photographing the pages over a prolonged period but I suspect getting the pages perfectly flat etc would cause unsatisfactory results.
    If you are going down the route of taking photographs then you really need a rig - lighting, copy stand, etc - set up to make sure that the results are as consistent as they can be. I've been down this road before and as you mention pages not being completely flat can be a painful problem to deal with, which is where a scanner may be a better bet if it you are dealing with things such as small catalogues that don't have a large spine.

A copy shop would be ideal, otherwise I or others may be able to assist by at least splitting the work of scanning amongst many.

IAP
    Last edited by ianp; 12-13-2017 at 11:53. Reason: typo

My copy is heavily annotated -- mostly with notes about variant handsets and serial numbers and lug widths -- but they are all in the back so the actual pages are "clean" as the booksellers say.

Any scanning should be as good quality as possible (resolution etc) to avoid any loss or distortion, especially as this could become the definite copy and an invaluable resource.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I have a couple of original catalogues that I'm happy to loan for scanning - would be nice to have all the catalogues in colour...

also with one of the catalogues is a confidential trade price list, individually numbered that would be nice to include too

If Barrie Smith has died and the publisher is no longer in existence this could be what is called “Orphan Copyright” – copyright without a home.
    Pierhead Publications Limited appear to still be active -

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04019045

Looks like we need to find Michael John Bundock, who also appears to be a director of the AHI.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Looks like we need to find Michael John Bundock, who also appears to be a director of the AHI.
    Snail mail to the registered address ?

IAP

I tried emailing the publishers a couple of days ago but the emails seem to bounce back, frustrating.

Surely if we're only using Smiths' own material then we're covered by Mr Flint's permission?

The fact that they are in Barrie Smiths's book is immaterial, I would have thought.

And if we made it a wiki then more catalogues -- including Mr Jones' -- could be added as and when they become available.

Oliver,

As Jonathon points out there is a correct legal procedure with orphaned copyright; you need to make certain that Pierhead and Barrie are defunct and have not assigned their rights.

As to scanning of already scanned 150dpi images, you'll likely encounter moire problems.

Barry

This may be relevant. From the US Copyright Office, not sure if there a similar provision in UK law.

The copyright in a compilation of data extends only to theselection, coordination or arrangement of the materials ordata, but not to the data itself. In the case of a collective workcontaining “preexisting works”—works that were previouslypublished, previously registered, or in the public domain—the registration will only extend to the selection, coordinationor arrangement of those works, not to the preexistingworks themselves.
    I'd try to go through the right channels wherever possible, so I'd try to contact Pierhead to see if they could reprint or make available electronically their publication and to enquire about the possibility for reproduction.

I'd plan to scan what original printed material we have as you already have permission from The Smiths Group, so this is a much more clean cut approach. To be honest I misread an earlier post and thought you already had 95% of the book in the form of original catalogues.

IAP

does anyone else have catalogues? I've checked and I have 1955/56 and 1957 (trade price list for '57)

Good news: I've had an email from Mike Bundock after I enquired via the AHI.

I replied:

Hello Mike

Many thanks for getting in touch. Yes, I help to run a vintage Smiths watch internet forum and a number of us were wondering whether “Smiths Watches” by Barrie Smith is out of print.

If it is, we were discussing the legalities of whether it could be reproduced digitally (i.e. scanned in and put online as a pdf).

I have been in contact with Smiths and they have given us permission to use all their material that Barrie used and that appeared in his book — i.e. the catalogues, brochures, adverts etc — so I think that solves the question of copyright as that is the only content we are interested in. Nevertheless I would like your and Barrie’s blessing on the project.

We have also sourced some additional primary sources (Smiths’ sales materials issues to retailers) to add to the archive that Barrie amassed and would like to make this a rolling “wiki” style site where people could add to the sum of knowledge and expand on Barrio’s sterling work.

Many thanks

Oliver

So . . . we'll see.

You seem to be making good progress

IAP

US/EU (ie today's 70-year UK) copyright laws are 'similar' but different...

Smiths have merely granted permission to copy for research (not for commercial gain I suspect) their original (coloured) artwork - ie: their catalogues. That Barrie Smith has already done this, means photocopying/scanning his "monochrome interpretation of Smiths' artwork" is a (technical) infringement of his/Pierhead's artistic copyright which is earning them a lawful income... and thus potential damages for infringement.

You must take all reasonable efforts to clear this with him/them. No one is above the law, so just be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by ianp View Post
    On Barrie, photocopies and scanners - https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/smiths-...1/#post-166421.

Ian, the link you posted reminded me that back in 2005 when Barrie was looking for copies of Smiths catalogues I loaned him several & a host of leaflets etc.
    I was promised a copy of his book when it was published, as it happens I had to hassle him to get my catalogues back & I never got a thank you or the free copy of the book.
    The catalogues leaflets (& technical sheets) came from a local Jewellers I cleared back in 1997 along with lots of Smiths spares & hundreds of Smiths Clocks, mainly alarm clocks, here are some of them.
    http://tokdok.eaph.com/smithsclockswebpage.htm
    Last edited by ianp; 12-16-2017 at 09:35.

clicking that link was like walking into a museum....astonishing! And as for that square, very art deco duck egg blue one with the faux snake skin box at the top, just beautiful, oh...and the 'New Democrat', and, and...... Thanks for sharing that John.

On the other hand, bit of bad form not to honour his word after you loaned him info.....

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    the faux snake skin box
    I've got a few of those; the Everest watches (A404, A409 etc) came in them -- very Fifties!

I like the "tv" shaped ones with the pink and yellow surrounds, the dials say "Made In Scotland"

And "Gay Day" ("I woke up this morning with my alarm and looked at my clock decided I was going to have a gay day!")

Thanks John