Thread: A Rolex submariner case, a quartz movement

Default A Rolex submariner case, a quartz movement

Necessity has made me a little Scrooge like but I'm thinking of investing in a genuine Rolex Submariner case from one person and a NOS Longines VHP quartz movement from another. The total cost from both sellers will be around 220 or so. Can the two be mated together to make a good quality quartz diver? what type of dial and hands could I use?
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

James, you could get something like this with an ETA auto for about 330 -

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/d...e-red-767.html

saying that 220 is still absolutely dirt cheap for any sub case..

I love Steinhart watches and they are on my list. But this Rolex case is like an itch that needs scratching, the guy has offered me several in the past and as if I'm becoming a Womble like creature I'd like to see what can be done with the things that other people have no time for. Also, and it's a bit perverted I know, I quite fancy another quartz at the moment diver watch. If I ever get back on a level keel there are three watches I want to get the Raven Vintage diver, the Steinhart Ocean One vintage and the MKII Nassau/Kingston but I've spent a very considerable fortune in a legal battle for my grandsons over the last few years and serious watch collecting may still be some way off.
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

The “stem height” is worth checking as it can be troublesome when finding a suitable movement ring to get the stem to the correct position relative to the dial.

Default Conversions to quartz...

Aloha James,

The most common quartz conversion I know of involves using a Seiko 7549 quartz movement into a 6309 case. In that case, the movement was a drop-in to a 6309 case -- no modification needed, according to my watchmaker. Anything else would probably need a careful look, and I'll bet the movement holder would have to be customized. One thing you might want to consider is an idea I've been playing with for many years; take a case you like (in this instance, a genuine Sub) and add an accurate movement with long battery life. One example of this is the Ronda 715 Li, which has a rated battery life of 10 years. Really simplifies maintenance when you don't have to even open the case for a decade. If the Wittenauer LongLife movements were still available that would be the ultimate mod. With a lithium iodide polymer battery designed for heart pacemakers, battery changes were to be done every 20 years.

Will be sending you a message later this week.

Mahalo,

Andy

Thanks everyone, I'm not sure that all the work and money would be worth it.

I've never seen anyone selling a genuine Rolex Sub case for $200

Dial will most likely need to be glued to the movement unless you can find a proper dial that fit's. As rodabod stated. Stem height would need to be right. Also. stem would need to fit Rolex crown.

If your looking for a kit watch. Number of new styled Tudor cases on the bay or Rolex cases

DON

Default I just realized something like that has been done...

A few years ago, I received as a gift a Explorer I homage. Built by watchmaker Mr. Chung in Korea for Hyunsuk Seung, the watch has a real Rolex Datejust case (basically identical to that Explorer I) with a quartz movement and homage dial and hands. Watch has been fantastic, with the accuracy, maintenance (basically just batteries every few years) and durability of a quartz watch. But as far as what it would cost to produce another one, I don't even want to think about it.

Mahalo,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyFromHonolulu View Post
    A few years ago, I received as a gift a Explorer I homage. Built by watchmaker Mr. Chung in Korea for Hyunsuk Seung, the watch has a real Rolex Datejust case (basically identical to that Explorer I) with a quartz movement and homage dial and hands. Watch has been fantastic, with the accuracy, maintenance (basically just batteries every few years) and durability of a quartz watch. But as far as what it would cost to produce another one, I don't even want to think about it.
    Sounds pretty cool Andy. Do you have pics of this watch that you can post?

Stem height might not be an issue if you set the time using the hands and then put the whole thing into the case with the stem cut down or even removed completely. Then just screw down the Rolex crown and forget about changing the time until the battery runs out . . . . Of course, the switch to daylight saving (i.e. the summer / winter one hour time zone change) might mean dropping the movement out every six months.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Which reference case have you been offered ?

No friends?

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    I've never seen anyone selling a genuine Rolex Sub case for $200

DON

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    No friends?

Friends, but not enough to give it away. Mid case sold for $600 (no back/bezel) on Ebay. A caseback for $550

Must be some good friend to offer a complete case for $200 when he could probably get $1500 or more

DON

You can get a complete but unservicable Submariner for less than that in the Fellows auction (they have a US Sub and a US Explorer II). Friends don't make a profit from each other, they don't do business together.

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    Friends, but not enough to give it away. Mid case sold for $600 (no back/bezel) on Ebay. A caseback for $550

Must be some good friend to offer a complete case for $200 when he could probably get $1500 or more

DON