Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible scam - Charlotte Wagg-Skinner

Default Possible scam - Charlotte Wagg-Skinner

Last year a did a lot of business ,over 100 watches, with a Ruth/charlotte skinner
    Often the deals were very frustrating with promises of posting which didn't happen or different watches to the ones I bought being sent
    This all culminated this time last year with me opening a case with paypal after a bounced paypal echeque refund
    Anyway today she offers me 8 smiths w10's we agree a price and I say I will pay through paypal but she tells me she doesn't have a paypal account anymore and she requires a bank transfer
    I offer to drive up and give her cash but she is insisting on the transfer which after all the hassle last year I will not do
    I believe this is a scam
    Anyone else been contacted?

I noticed a lot of people on a military FB page saying they paid for watches they never got. I wouldn't be sending cash

Ruth/charlotte worked for anchor surplus I believe now she is running a watch/jewellery repair business
    I was originally told the watches belonged to her late father who repaired watches for the mod
    I got some great deals to be fair
    "I am on my way to the post office now "
    Was a common message
    Or "couldn't post as I am ill"
    And I never knew if I was communicating with Ruth charlotte or a brother

I had a bad experience.

I understand she’s had several police reports filed against her from many buyers worldwide who have received nothing for months.

I think she was a moderator of the Facebook group mentioned, and it appears she used this to scam many people.

I would avoid at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by jamelee View Post
    Possible scam...
    there was a similar thread concerning Charlotte from back in May 2017

this was eventually removed after allegations of harassment and slander by her.

however you may have missed the last posting that was made by her -

Quote Originally Posted by charlieskinner
    I work for anchor supplies limited I have for 21 years, I have sold 1000's of watches over the years? Occasionally my hands are tied & it's the company's decision not mine which I have to obide by? Occasionally things do happen? I also repair Quartz military timepieces myself, I also have my own collection of military watches which I have sold over time & have dealt with selling bulk watches for other people which are not connected to the company I work for? I also registered a business name on company's house which I've never used just because I liked the business name & you never know what the future holds? I am totally shocked by how quickly people on here can go on the attack? Nothing I have ever said if lies! Regards Charlotte

my impartial advice would be to go for a face2face transaction at AS.
    Last edited by dave; 11-29-2017 at 14:35. Reason: clarified some points.

She contacted me today offering me here last 8 smiths w10's
    This has nothing to do with the problems I had last Christmas getting my money back
    Last year I had to open a not received case with PayPal then she issued a refund by echeque which was cancelled the day it was meant to clear
    I have dozens of emails to confirm everything I say is true

I have dozens of emails to confirm everything I say is true
    sorry, you have misinterpreted my posting -

the allegations that were made were not directed at you.

Sorry dave and thanks I hadn't seen her post
    Why was the last thread removed ?

I remember her. Always thought she was OK when chatting at anchor. Perhaps a little odd, had a bit of a thousand yard stare. Though I do remember one instance where I bought 4 precista G10s for £25 each, in the cabinet they where listed as military grade 2 quartz movements, even though it was a decade ago, I wondered at the depth of their knowledge, as even then this was ridiculously cheap

I bought watches from her before which were successful, but I am being scammed this time. No watch is shipped and no refund with excuses for over a month. Actively urged me to paid, but after paid her replies passively. I have made a fraud report on this. If you really want to buy something from her, better ask her to take a photo on it with the words you want to be written. But I don't think she can provide it at all.

Last year a did a lot of business ,over 100 watches, with a Ruth/charlotte skinner
    Often the deals were very frustrating with promises of posting which didn't happen or different watches to the ones I bought being sent
    This all culminated this time last year with me opening a case with paypal after a bounced paypal echeque refund

Anyway today she offers me 8 smiths w10's we agree a price and I say I will pay through paypal but she tells me she doesn't have a paypal account anymore and she requires a bank transfer
    I offer to drive up and give her cash but she is insisting on the transfer which after all the hassle last year I will not do
    I believe this is a scam
    Anyone else been contacted?
    Er.... why would you even consider buying from her again if you have had so much hassle before? In fact how come you bought over 100 watches if you were being hassled whilst buying your 100 watches?

Get stung once....walk away never to return..... simple isn't it?

Unlike others I didn't get stung
    I was getting them very cheap so a few problems ,mostly delays in posting ,were acceptable and I used paypal so I knew i could always get my money back
    Look all I am doing is warning people if I have been offered 8 smiths at half price others have
    Last edited by jamelee; 11-30-2017 at 02:30.

Unlike others I didn't get stung
    I was getting them very cheap so a few problems ,mostly delays in posting ,were acceptable and I used paypal so I knew i could always get my money back
    Look all I am doing is warning people if I have been offered 8 smiths at half price others have
    "This all culminated this time last year with me opening a case with paypal after a bounced paypal echeque refund"....sounds like you got stung to me ..if you needed PayPal to get your money back.

I got my money back so I wasn't stung
    All I am trying to do is warn people about a possible scam
    I don't understand what your point is
    Should I not warn other collectors??

On the military Facebook page there were multiple people stating they had been scammed by her and had reported her to police agencies, fraud offices or the like. The moderator there took the unfortunate decision to delete that thread.

I was the moderator that archived that thread Dave .....Not Unfortunate but very considered.... there were addresses and phone numbers being posted . Just as the thread was removed here originally. its a very sorry state of affairs......
    A smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half.

thanks for posting this James.

the old adage - "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" springs to mind here.

this must be fishing - it is a ridiculously low price to offer these watches at!

these ongoing episodes aren't doing Anchor Supplies any favours.
    Last edited by dave; 12-18-2017 at 14:35. Reason: grammar.

Any news update on this scammer - Charlotte Wagg-skinner?

she said it had to be a bank deposit I said paypal or cash on collection
    she stopped contacting me
    Has she offered similar deals to anyone else?

I was involved in those threads and heard from a lot of people that got burned.

It is shame that the mods decided to sweep the issue under the rug. It speaks volumes about the legitimacy of some in the community.

Edit one:

I was warned that Charlotte was close with the mods and that they would likely take down the threads to protect him. Threads in question I do beleive had no personal information I have screen caps of them.

Edit two:

After the threads got taken down on FB, Said mods gave her raving reviews for fast and honest service. Also, I have this documented.
    Last edited by petahwong; 12-17-2017 at 19:50.