Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new RN and British Army Diver watch is

I doubt that their issued with all that stuff. The compass is horrible, a cheap copy of an American lensatic rather than a British prismatic. I'm wondering if Citizen have been contracted to produce a not for commercial sale version for the MOD.
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

I wonder what the Citizen diver costs the Marines vs. the CWC SBS Diver. It might be that the Citizen diver could be a better watch at considerable savings.

I have no idea what the UK govt. price for the CWC SBS Diver might be, but the civilian retail price has become ridiculous. The CWC cachet has become somewhat of a legend, but is it worth the extra money if the taxpayers are obliged to pay for it?

This is not a swipe at CWC, as I am an SBS Diver owner myself. Also, I know that in the USA many times what Uncle Sam pays for a specific article is WAY below civilian MSRP (just check a GSA catalog), so it could be that Her Majesty is getting a killer deal from CWC. That being said, a price comparison would be interesting.
    Cordially,
    ~Burgs

I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong... - Inspector O

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    I can't abide the air force who are just the paramilitary branch of British Airways!

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    The compass is horrible, a cheap copy of an American lensatic rather than a British prismatic.
    Otherwise known as a bergen or a locker compass; if you were forced to sign one out you would either put it immediately in your locker before going on exercise or, failing that, it would never escape from the most inaccessible reaches of your bergen. This leaves you happily managing with the Silva compass you bought in Survival Aids at Euston, or possibly Millets.

Yep, I rarely if ever used a prismatic given the choice. I had to use it in training of course and the old Prismatic's were great but the amount they threatened to charge if one were lost exceeded any issued timepiece including the Submariner. They also issued the Silva as well and once I'd acquired one I never signed out another Prismatic unless forced to. The US Lensatic seem to be made in China where north is Beijing!

Otherwise known as a bergen or a locker compass; if you were forced to sign one out you would either put it immediately in your locker before going on exercise or, failing that, it would never escape from the most inaccessible reaches of your bergen. This leaves you happily managing with the Silva compass you bought in Survival Aids at Euston, or possibly Millets.
    Last edited by dave; 12-07-2017 at 05:03. Reason: fixed quote.
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

I'm sure that CWC do give the MOD a great deal. The last time I looked, which was a few years ago now, the CWC G10 was still issued alongside the Pulsar; the CWC was 17.50 and the Pulsar 10, at that time the CWC G10 was around 100 from Silvermans