Thread: Italian Navy COMSUBIN Is this genuine?

Default Italian Navy COMSUBIN Is this genuine?

And if so is it a Zeno or a Mondial or something else? I've rather lost track of who wears what over the last few years.

http://www.mmt500.com/index.asp?sezi...ottosezione=38

I wonder when they last issued Panerai?
    Last edited by James K; 11-25-2017 at 11:32.
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

I have to admit that I don't know much about this watch, but this morning I spent a bit of time reading some interesting Italian forums. The general consensus is that 70 pieces were actually issued to the Italian Navy in 2008.

A few other special editions such as the "Palombari" have been produced over the years and issued to military personnel.

However, many believe that none of the civilian watches sold for 1,100 euros by O.P.V. has actually undergone the same strict testing regime required by the Navy.
    Most likely OPV watches are assembled by Sordi how makes the nearly identical Mondia for a fraction of the price

Apart from the marks on the dial, the only difference between the two watches are the crystal (mineral on the Mondia and sapphire on the MMT500) and the strap.

Not military, but I would rather buy this: https://youtu.be/cV_U-prCyDw

Mondia = Zeno = MMT500

And yes, they have been assigned to some Italian Navy deep divers.

Dont ask me how such a watch (actually a Zeno with a new dial) got a contract with the Navy.

I wonder if it's based upon the same Zeno that the Swiss engineer divers wear.
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

No only first 100 is realy Issued!! Bezel is different, number on the caseback
    Last edited by ianp; 12-01-2017 at 23:25. Reason: cleaned up formatting

Wow, that's a bit loud, I think I prefer the black and white one. Are these issued or a unit thing available to members of the unit like the SAS/SBS Omega Planet Ocean Seamasters?

As you can read on the purchase contract, 70 of these have been bought by the italian Navy and issued.

Some have the diver's military diving license number engraved on the caseback.

They are not a unit purchase like the SBS and SAS Omega's.

Seventy is a small number, COMSUBIN or mice clearance divers?

delivered to divers , and always 100 as for the Manta 1000 with the C on the back, the Tudors with the A and probably the Etrna Kontiki 3 number on the back