Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Praise for Revo's Straps

Hmm. That's a bit naughty.

I think I'll have to put microchip transponders in every strap and track them . . . .
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quick update to this: I met a chap yesterday and after we'd chatted for a bit I asked what he does for a living. Turns out he works in a narrow fabric mill not too far from me -- and I knew exactly what that meant! It means, dear friends, that he makes webbing and straps and ribbons and so on -- strips of, well, narrow fabric. Made in a narrow fabric mill. Customers include the MoD . . . .

I got my phone out and showed him some old mil straps; could he make an AF0210: cotton canvas, olive drab? "Can't see any reason why not" he said. 16, 18 and 20mm all possible with the chance of there being no massive minimum order (one narrow fabric mill in the US wanted an order of at least 4,000m iirc yes, 4km -- that's about 3 miles. At 20 or 25cm per strap that is probably enough for the whole of NATO including retired personnel and support staff.)

Now, there's a good chance that nothing will come of this. You plant four seeds and one grows; that's life. But I shall be following up this lead and will keep you all informed.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Wow, what are the chances of that happening?! Sounds promising indeed

(leaving aside my astonishment at the fact that someone is actually still making something like that in the UK.......)

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Quick update to this: I met a chap yesterday and after we'd chatted for a bit I asked what he does for a living. Turns out he works in a narrow fabric mill not too far from me -- and I knew exactly what that meant! It means, dear friends, that he makes webbing and straps and ribbons and so on -- strips of, well, narrow fabric. Made in a narrow fabric mill. Customers include the MoD . . . .

I got my phone out and showed him some old mil straps; could he make an AF0210: cotton canvas, olive drab? "Can't see any reason why not" he said. 16, 18 and 20mm all possible with the chance of there being no massive minimum order (one narrow fabric mill in the US wanted an order of at least 4,000m iirc yes, 4km -- that's about 3 miles. At 20 or 25cm per strap that is probably enough for the whole of NATO including retired personnel and support staff.)

Now, there's a good chance that nothing will come of this. You plant four seeds and one grows; that's life. But I shall be following up this lead and will keep you all informed.
    Please consider this my pre-order!

Myron

I'm the optimistic type so I'm with Myron..

Default Pre order

Revo
    If this works out. I could use 4 of the 18mm and two in the 20 mm. Thanks
    jrb4417@aol.com

Sounds promising Ollie. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep checking back for updates. I may need to increase my original order of a single 20mm strap to a couple at least

And I would very much like to cast my hat in to the ring for one or two of these.

So you need an original sample, as I have some offcuts.

Great news!!! Please indeed keep us posted. Lots of customers awaiting!