Thread: Military pocket watch identify help

Default Military pocket watch identify help

Hello everyone!

Please let me know what type is current watch and why it's on side like pilots wristwatch

thanks

Moeris but I doubt it's genuine.
    Regards,

I've got one of these, I'll dig it out.

This is watch is interesting for a couple of reasons.
    As far as the number on the side is concerned this seems to be a Navy thing. Knirim shows an example on page 419 of a watch marked like yours and also with HMS Furious engraved on the other side of the watch body. The snap on back and front are also proud of the watch body like the cockpit watches so it was probably designed to be used in some sort of Mount.

The side engraving is just what the British military did c WWI: Ehrhardt (D), White (E), Williamson (F), but always with the issue number repeated to the dial. I have seen Q used as a vocab letter but not Z. The GS Mark II watch would have the issue number engraved to the bottom edge, so this style of side engraving presumably pre-dates 1929. Royal Navy use would require a screw on back and bezel, I should have thought, and only Aviation watches of the WWI era used snap on backs, usually because they had an inner cuvette. Without further examples, I don't know what to say about the OP watch: I don't like the engraving but the Broad Arrow looks good for a WWI watch.

I have never been convinced by the HMS Furious watch BTW: RN Willamsons were marked differently; KK p 419 shows an Army issue Willamson with an RN ship's name (and a very famous one at that) engraved on it. Without provenance, which, unless I'm mistaken, isn't shown, I would be sceptical personally.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

I've just found this watches twin hiding in plain sight (Knirim 416). To quote. "Moeris, dial with Roman letters, case without pendant ring and unknown letter code Z".. The serial number broad Arrow 28431Z.
    my guess is a Royal Naval Air Service World War I cockpit watch and probably quite a rare one.