Thread: Need advice on hand puller

Default Need advice on hand puller

I'm trying to learn some of the basics. I dis/reassembled a Chinese 6497 without killing it. Next up is an Elgin pocket watch from ebay for $25. What hand puller and installer are recommended? I've read mixed reviews concerning some for sale on Amazon.

Many thanks!

Charlie
    Maryland, US

Few types, but I use the first model. Second is a ladder type which I had, but didn't like. Last is a lever style with two pieces. Don't understand the use of this type as you need to lift the same time to prevent pushing to one side.

I cut a slip of paper with a "V" notch to slide under the tool to prevent damage to the dial

DON

I agree with Don. The bottom set I use for pulling wheels off pivots, like the seconds bit on a Bulova or Elgin.
    I use a staking set for remounting hands. If possible a staking set should be one of the tool sets purchased. It is hard to find a complete set used, but a few missing for half price doesn't hurt. Charlie: It is easy to spend a half hour remounting a set of hands, It is one of the jobs that should be done deliberately and carefully or you'll see why some hands are bent to hell to make them work well. Also the staking set becomes the only thing that can save a set of abused hands. If I recall, De Carle's book has a good section on hands. The Bestfit catalog has a wonderful article by Fried on mounting crowns, another tedious but essential job.
    Remember: With oil, less is better than too much.

If buying a Presto puller like the first photo, get a Swiss set like Bergeon. Don't bother with the Indian or Chinese rubbish as you'll waste the money saved after the first time you knacker a set of hands.

Conventional lifting levers like in the third photo are versatile and can be used for removing hairsprings, so quite handy.

The presto type (first one) is the type I use most, out of habit. The k&d type (second) I had and hated, because I didn’t know how to use it. You push in the plunger at the rear to open the jaws, to grab the hands. Once the hands are between the jaws, you push down the plastic sleeve, and the two jaws work just like the levers in the last picture to remove the hands—pretty slick.

I’d stay away from the lever type.

These tools have been around forever, and you can find good used ones on eBay for less than the modern Chinese/Indian copies. I bought an Indian made one when I first started, it’s my go-to cannon pinion puller now—I wouldn’t go near a set of hands with it.

I made myself a few sets of levers like those shown in the third image. Used blue steel rod from watch material house. I have one larger set for hands and a couple of smaller ones for sub-seconds and hair springs. I've also got a very old puller that is a bit like the Presto ones, but the jaws can be opened and closed using a threaded rod, then the hand pulled off using a screw in-out fitting through the centre of the tool.

Thanks very much for the advice. I see that Bergeon has both a hand remover here https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-1-...mover-30636-1/

And a cannon pinion and hand remover here https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-30...-hand-remover/

Assuming I'd need both, is the dual purpose tool advisable?

Thank you

Charlie

I just use the dual purpose one myself. It has the notch to grip hand posts or Cpinion post to lift. I bought a cheap one off Ebay and polished the face of the sections on the underside to prevent any problems

Only slipped once and scratched a hand. Unfortunately. It happen to be a NOS SM 300 project I started on. Put it away and sold it a year later. Not the tools fault, but my own for not paying attention to what I was doing and where I placed the tool

DON

Thank you. I just ordered the dual purpose tool.

Charlie

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread