Thread: Ruger Mini 14

Default Ruger Mini 14

Hi all
    Does anyone own one here?
    the gun control legislation in the UK is obviously very strict but I have started target shooting (years of rough and clay shooting behind me) and I am looking to buy my first rifle.
    We are limited for choice here but I am off to look at a straight pull in .233 this week and would like to hear of anyone's experience.
    How do they compare with an AR?
    Can you use 5.56 in place of .233? I have seen conflicting reports.

Cheers
    John
    Cheers

John (sinnlover)

Even a broken watch is accurate twice a day!

I don't own one but I had a friend that did. The one knock on these rifles is their accuracy. They apparently are not as accurate as an AR. The French police use them, you might inquire about info on them. The .223 vs 5.56 question is pretty much not an issue. They make a Wylde chamber that supposedly is compatible with both. I think it is a non issue. Look at Colt 20 rd magazines, some say 5.56 and some say .223, these are military magazines. Were I selecting a target rifle in 223 I'd probably buy a Remington 700 or Savage. If you can, buy an AR15, they are very accurate and very cheap. Set up right, any of them are M.O.A. weapons.

I have looked at ARs however over here they are 3 times the price of the mini 14
    In addition being single pull action (as that's all we're allowed) the mini 14 is more ergonomic whilst prone.
    Oh well I can try it, if I don't like it I can move it on.

Well took the Ruger to the range at Bisley yesterday.
    I have to say I am impressed
    Up to 300m it's dead on accurate. (Great day for shooting yesterday as there was no wind).
    I put about 150 rounds through it but .223 is not cheap. 73 per 100!!!!
    Went to look at a .44 Winchester under lever this morning, I think that might be the next option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Well took the Ruger to the range at Bisley yesterday.
    I have to say I am impressed
    Up to 300m it's dead on accurate. (Great day for shooting yesterday as there was no wind).
    I put about 150 rounds through it but .223 is not cheap. 73 per 100!!!!
    Went to look at a .44 Winchester under lever this morning, I think that might be the next option.
    That is too bad about the cost of ammunition over there. We get factory loaded Federals for about $240 US /500. Can you guys reload? that is a great way to save money. I reload 5.56/233 for about .25 a shot.
    I would bet that a 44-40 would run about $2 a shot if you could find it. Let me know if I can help.
    D

Yep looking in to reloading, it is cheaper but no by much.
    .44 is 90 per 100 and surprisingly common. Lot is people fire Winchester underlevers in .357/.44 as a replacement for pistols. (We are not allowed to own a firearm unless it has a length of more than 2 feet!!!)
    For comparison:
    .22 is 90 per 1000
    7.62/.308 is 45 per 100

The 223 is an impressive round to shoot. Out to 200m there isn't much drop, and you can just aim right at the object and it will hit. When you start to reload, buy full length small base dies for the 223. I use RCBS, they have a lifetime warranty, break anything and they'll send you a new one. The least expensive bullets are the 55gr FMJBT US army surplus projectiles. Most are made by Winchester. Use regular CCI small rifle primers and the best value in powder would be H335. The cartridge is amazingly versatile and you can use almost any rifle powder, Varget, H335, IMR 4895, IMR 3031, W748. It only uses about 24 gr of powder (about half what a 30-06 would use. I would load the loads at the low end as the rifle will not be using the gas for operation. The Mini 14 is a pretty good copy of the M14 which is the rifle I used in Vietnam. It is a great design.

Cheers for the advice!
    I think I will try to reload going forward.
    The rifle seems well built to me and it's a doddle to strip and clean.
    I will report back with some grouping pictures after the next shoot.

Sinnlover - how did you go about getting a firearms license in London? Which club did you join?

It's not too hard you just have to jump through the hoops and it takes while.
    You join a shooting club
    Apply to your local police force, with 2 sponsors who will to vouch for you (they must have known you for at least 2 years. They cannot be family.) the club chairman confirms you shoot at the club and how many times you have attended in the last year.
    The police interview you and your sponsors (over the phone), they do the background checks.
    The police check your security arrangements at home including the safe installation and physical security.
    If all ok they issue your certificate (fire arm and shot gun are two different and distinct licences).
    The police have to have a reason (it does not have to be a good one though) for them not to issue the cert, most people think that they will say no unless you have a good reason for owning a firearm.
    It took about 6 months and you are limited in terms of numbers and calibers of rifle you can own. You must declare what you want on the application and there is no variation from that.
    Strangely you can own and keep and many shotguns as you have security for, there is no limit on numbers if you have a certificate.
    The MET police are the most draconian of police to apply with but I kind of understand why, not much call for pest control in London.
    Re clubs happy PM if you want details I am happy to help, there are a lots out there. A good place to Google is the NRA at Bisley (where I do a lot of shooting). Lots of clubs are based there. You will be supprised at the companies that have shooting clubs, high st banks, shops etc.
    I popped along to the West London shooting ground (Across the A40 from RAF Northolt) on Friday. It's expensive but the facilities are fantastic, it's like a shooting club combined with a old fashioned Gentleman's Club on St. James St / Pall Mall. They are building a new 200m range there as well. I have a feeling I might do a lot more shooting there in future.