Thread: Ruger Mini 14

Default Ruger Mini 14

Hi all
    Does anyone own one here?
    the gun control legislation in the UK is obviously very strict but I have started target shooting (years of rough and clay shooting behind me) and I am looking to buy my first rifle.
    We are limited for choice here but I am off to look at a straight pull in .233 this week and would like to hear of anyone's experience.
    How do they compare with an AR?
    Can you use 5.56 in place of .233? I have seen conflicting reports.

Cheers
    John
    Cheers

John (sinnlover)

Even a broken watch is accurate twice a day!

I don't own one but I had a friend that did. The one knock on these rifles is their accuracy. They apparently are not as accurate as an AR. The French police use them, you might inquire about info on them. The .223 vs 5.56 question is pretty much not an issue. They make a Wylde chamber that supposedly is compatible with both. I think it is a non issue. Look at Colt 20 rd magazines, some say 5.56 and some say .223, these are military magazines. Were I selecting a target rifle in 223 I'd probably buy a Remington 700 or Savage. If you can, buy an AR15, they are very accurate and very cheap. Set up right, any of them are M.O.A. weapons.

I have looked at ARs however over here they are 3 times the price of the mini 14
    In addition being single pull action (as that's all we're allowed) the mini 14 is more ergonomic whilst prone.
    Oh well I can try it, if I don't like it I can move it on.