Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Newmanís Rolex Daytona sells for $17.75M

Quote Originally Posted by watchlover View Post
    I have seen a vintage Rolex USA service/approval slip with lots of little boxes to tick....replace bracelet, replace hands etc.
    One of those boxes said relume.
    Great information, Watchlover. Often times side conversations like this reveal valuable gen!
    Cordially,
    ~Burgs

I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong... - Inspector O

Well that would fit the info I got from the gent I bought from. The watch was bought by his dad in '57. Was worn for around 10 years then had a make over at Rolex, where the bezel insert, crown, and a new 6636 '68 strap was replaced. He said the lume was also done to replace the radium. The watch then lived in the safe for the next 40 years. They'd lost the service receipt so I could only go on their word. The watch was being sold to add to a pot of money To Help fund the care home the father was being put into.

If we took the best parts from both our James Bond watches, I’d be worth a pile of money!

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    I think we can all agree that Steve McQueen Was The coolest dude ever. If it Was The 'McQueen datona'. Then it would be cool from every perspective.
    Paul, My brother in law was a high end race mechanic before he became a scientist. He once invited me and her to a race at Sears Point. We were pitted next to Mr. Newman. Cool doesn't quite describe him. He was old, slight, and had a face that was ridiculously handsome. Aged well as a description doesn't even come close. He drove up in his personal car which was an old Volvo wagon with a big Ford V8 in it. His wife Joanne was with him and she was wonderful, not even noticing the 100 or so screaming women 30 feet away. To cut down on the noise, Newman put on his sunglasses and slowly turned facing the screaming fans, he showed his movie star smile and the screaming stopped. Then he turned back to his wife and continued the conversation. In his pit was a 50 foot tall inflatable can of Budweiser. He showed McQueen what cool was all about. Doesn't surprise me a bit that Newman would give away a valuable watch.

Fair play Dave. Great anecdotal story.

Paul Newman IMO is cooler than McQueen, and made better movies to boot. Having said that, price aside I'd rather have a 5512 Sub and a 68 fastback Mustang over a Daytona and a V8 Volovo wagon!

Great thread much more interesting than anticipated. Special thanks to Trunkman, Mr G and DaveH!

If I may add my two cents here and not being an expert on Rolex Daytona are there any specific markings on Paul Newmann's Daytona Rolex so whoever bought it can be 100% sure it was worn by the man himself? This crazy price reminds me of the auction of John and Jackie Kennedy's personal items where John's rocking chair made $ 400'000 and Jackie's false pearl necklace made a cool $ 300'000. Once removed from the auction floor the rocking chair looked exactly like hundred other rocking chairs from the same factory it was made; and the pearl necklace who could tell it was Jackie's as it didn't have her name on it?
    That Rolex Daytona is it a special piece made just for Paul Newmann, or is it one like other Rolex Daytona of the time? This insane price just seems to me to be a part of the personality cult for famous people which drives some bidders absolutely bonkers.

It has a personal engraving from his wife. Something like drive safely. I believe it is in reference to his racing car driving career.

Thanks Seiji. So all there needs to be done now is for someone to have a close up photo of the engraving and have it put on another Daytona. In a a few years who will know which one is the right one?

The watch also came from his daughters boyfriend who was given the watch personally by Newman..

I think someone speculated that Rolex bought that watch. So, then if that is true, it will be displayed publicly under glass and not likely copied.

This maybe another watch given to Paul.

Nice wife, how come mine doesn't do this for me?

http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2017/10...engraving.html

Quote Originally Posted by Seiji View Post
    I think someone speculated that Rolex bought that watch. So, then if that is true, it will be displayed publicly under glass and not likely copied.
    Where? In the world-famous Rolex museum?
    Rolex don't do 'heritage' which would make their purchase of the watch odd on that account.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

From http://www.phillipswatches.com/press...ewman-daytona/

But even in the earliest days on the set of Winning, Joanne was uncomfortable about her husbandís motor racing, fearing he would hurt himself in an accident. Either during or following the filming of Winning, Joanne purchased the perfect gift for her husband, likely at Tiffany & Co. Ė a Rolex Cosmograph Daytona Ė a watch designed specifically for motor sport. On its caseback, "DRIVE CAREFULLY MEĒ is the heartfelt and loving inscription she chose to engrave for him. Fearful of his need for speed, Joanne would worry for his life every time Newman would step onto the racetrack for a drive.
    From http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2017/06...-close-up.html

and from https://www.revolution.watch/greates...ewman/?archive

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Quote Originally Posted by isologue View Post
    Where? In the world-famous Rolex museum?
    Rolex don't do 'heritage' which would make their purchase of the watch odd on that account.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)
    You got me there. It isn't me that started the rumor of the purchase by Rolex.

why wouldn't Rolex buy the most famous and well-known Rolex out there?? $17mil, a drop in the bucket for them...

Quote Originally Posted by greatsw View Post
    why wouldn't Rolex buy the most famous and well-known Rolex out there?? $17mil, a drop in the bucket for them...
    We don't know if they have, of course, but equally: why would they?
    As for the money, it's often forgotten that Rolex SA is owned by a private family trust known for making charitable bequests. That sounds sarcastic but it isn't meant to be.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Mike Woods says on the VRF that the latest rumor is that the Daytona was purchased by a Middle Eastern buyer and then flipped for a $4mil profit..

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    Mike Woods says on the VRF that the latest rumor is that the Daytona was purchased by a Middle Eastern buyer and then flipped for a $4mil profit..
    That'll probably just cover the auction fees....!

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    Thanks Seiji. So all there needs to be done now is for someone to have a close up photo of the engraving and have it put on another Daytona. In a a few years who will know which one is the right one?
    There's a fingerprint worth of wear on it too.