Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Newmanís Rolex Daytona sells for $17.75M

Default Paul Newmanís Rolex Daytona sells for $17.75M

no importance

Quote Originally Posted by jef33 View Post
    no importance
    That is where you are wrong my friend. This sale adds fuel to the vintage watch investment fire which flows down to the Ďhobbyí we once enjoyed...

Quote Originally Posted by jef33 View Post
    no importance
    Wow, such a well reasoned and informative post.

I wasn't the under bidder

I was in the room and it was ELECTRIC ! Great auction and I hope the money
    achieved will be put to good use by the Newman foundation . Epic day what a
    BUZZ !!
    G

Incredible story really how the current owner acquired it from Paul Newman himself.

The interesting thing about this whole Paul Newman Daytona thing is that, while initially the actor made the watch cool, in the end the watch has wound up making the actor cool. How? Because, while Paul Newman has always been pretty cool, he wasn't necessarily cooler than other cool actors (James Dean? Marlon Brando? Samuel Jackson? Hello?). Yet people are now saying about this watch that it's all about "provenance" and the thing that makes it so incredibly desirable is that Paul Newman was so incredibly cool, like, off the scale cool, like, cooler than anyone else ever. That just was never true, and it isn't true today. Sure, he was very cool. Others have been even cooler (he put his name on spaghetti sauce, dude). The watch reached an insane valuation because collecting is irrational. It's silly to try to make it rational by saying, yeah, this is understandable because the dude who wore this watch originally was so incredibly cool. No. Paul Newman Daytonas became a thing because they became a thing. And then of course Paul Newman's own Paul Newman HAD to have an insane valuation because of what IT was, not because of who HE was.

I think we can all agree that Steve McQueen Was The coolest dude ever. If it Was The 'McQueen datona'. Then it would be cool from every perspective.

I watched this live on-line as I thought it was going top be a "moment". I thought the price was insane (and the auctioneer a bit annoying and draggy) but then again this was Paul Newman's Paul Newman, a watch that sparked a whole new scene and following in collecting - especially for Rolex sport watches. And I believe Newman is a total God - The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke, Hud, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Butch Cassidy - these are towering performances - and if his wife had never bought him the watch there would never be such a following for the Paul Newman dials. It is an accidental clash of a rare watch and a true icon, making for one iconic watch. I saw one a few month ago on the wrists of a stockbroker - his dad had bought it in South Africa in the mid 1970s and the son had been wearing it since his father's death - he knew what it was but had no idea of the current value - I went mad! It had the screw down crowns and was one of the rarer reference 6265 (so it has no “Daytona” written on the dial, it had the screw down pushers and the steel bezel), it dated from about 1971 (as usual, took about 5 years to sell in a shop), and it has "Rolex Oyster Chronograph" on the dial. The last one that came to market sold in Geneva, in November 2015, and made just under £250,000. And they’ve gone up since then. Instagram is a awash with Paul Newman watch postings, people have one, two, sometime more and post them up with pictures of their sportscars etc. And one with the RCO dial went for over $1 million at that legendary Daytona sale in Geneva in 2013. This Paul Newman Paul Newman auction was the ultimate climax to all the Newman Daytona fuss and heavy finance that has been growing rapidly for the last ten years, and was a moment where billionaires could really buy the holy grail of modern Rolex watches. Yes, this was THE ONE. If it was McQueen's Hanhart or Heuer it wouldn't have even got close to this. Not even close.

The incredible part of the story is that Paul Newman didnít really carť so much about the watch himself, and was detached enough that he didnnít think twice to give it to his daughterís boyfriend. Which makes the final price even more glaringly off the wall / decadent/ degenerate... whatever you want to call it the contrast is very stark.

Well we can all benefit from the craziness I guess. Though the only Rolex I own seems to be in a stagnant pool by comparison.

@foilguy. Hahaha. Which Rolly do you have ?

Wouldnít surprise me if Ellen DeGeneres bought it..Sheís a big Daytona collector..

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    Wouldn’t surprise me if Ellen DeGeneres bought it..She’s a big Daytona collector..
    The rumour is that Rolex bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlover View Post
    The rumour is that Rolex bought it.
    Yes, this is what I initially thought. It's no money to them, and they should really buy this kind of museum quality object for their own history.

Quote Originally Posted by paparazzi mano View Post
    @foilguy. Hahaha. Which Rolly do you have ?
    1956 6536/1 with 60s bezel insert and crown. Original Gilt dial with Gilt hands and large lollipop, but with what looks to be an 70s tritium mint green service lume.
    On a '68 6636 bracelet. Why is it with rolexes we have to have a shopping list run down of parts. Ones recently on eBay don't seem to be fetching much. Relatively speaking that is.

Perfect Rolex 6536 with box and papers can go for $30k to $70k depending on dial variant. Average mixed up and worn condition ones as low as $9k. Rolex never service Relumed to my knowledge . They replaced the parts, hence die hards hate resume, it’s not Rolex work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiji View Post
    Perfect Rolex 6536 with box and papers can go for $30k to $70k depending on dial variant. Average mixed up and worn condition ones as low as $9k. Rolex never service Relumed to my knowledge . They replaced the parts, hence die hards hate resume, it’s not Rolex work.
    I have seen a vintage Rolex USA service/approval slip with lots of little boxes to tick....replace bracelet, replace hands etc.
    One of those boxes said relume.

Well a mixed blessing then I guess. Original Gilt dial, still intact. Just has had someone relume.