Thread: Newly Acquired Omega 6b/159

Default Newly Acquired Omega 6b/159

I recently bought, on a whim, a 1956 Omega 6b/159. I don't have much familiarity with this reference so I'm curious to hear others' reactions to this particular example. Any thoughts on value would be appreciated as well. Pics are below. Thanks in advance!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks good. Lesser seen white MoD dial. Value something like £1200-ish.

This looks like a MoD redial version of the WW2 dial. These are seen as legitimate for the 56 recase I think but how can you distinguish between those and a put-together? For me, the Southerns redial version of the 56 doesn't raise that question.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

a nice watch plus a low serial number..

Yes a very nice watch.......I love the white dialed 56.

I love the Old '56 redial Omegas... well I love Omegas generally and have 14 of them, including a 53 and a PAF Seamaster.

I crave a white faced military watch for some reason.. and the only other ones I have seen are the Lemania Single pusher's.. now who wouldn't like one of those?...but alas beyond my price range at the moment.

The '56 redial will be my next Omega though I think! Lovely watch congrats on your purchase!

Thanks for the comments everyone. This watch really appealed to me and it sounds like I made a good purchase. I understand that some dials say "Swiss made" whereas others, including mine, do not. What's the significance of that and is one dial considered more or less desirable?

yours is what we term an MoD dial and as such would generally be devoid of the swiss made nomenclature..

“MoD” stands for ministry of defence, ie the dial was refinished by the military. Those dials are part of the maintenance and military history of the watch and therefore considered legit if they are correct, even though they can sometimes fetch a somewhat lower value.
    By contrast a refinished dial on a civilian watch normally impacts value quite dramatically.