Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just won this on ebay WW2 RAF Officers Mess Clock

Default Just won this on ebay WW2 RAF Officers Mess Clock

I been wanting a RAF Officers Mess Clock for a while. It was between two I saw on Ebay one was in the states and one in England. They both had some problems. The one in the states was in great looking condition a early one from the 1920's with the cool full wing RAF logo but a none runner the seller tried to hide in his ad. The one in England was service and running and had a later none wing RAF logo made in 1939. And Fusee movement are a pain to work with and no one I trust in Montana to work on one. The flaw on the one in England it had a replacement wooden door on the case but 300-400 cheaper I will be looking at the front not the back so went with the one from England. The shipping was high but not many sellers from England will ship these to the USA. I figure this one would not be a problem child with the movement being serviced. And those fusee chain and other parts if needed can be hard to find that better looking clock in the USA would on been a bitch. A photo of the one I bought hope I did OK.

Looks very nice and in good shape

Nice piece. Is that the Eliott movement?
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Nice piece. Is that the Eliott movement?
    Yes it is a photo from the seller.

Some times I think Military issued clocks are gems. Every ones after the issued wristwatches so some times clocks the under rated military timepiece collectibles can be found for a better price mite be the last large clock I buy running out of space. But one of there days I would like to get a WW2 German aircraft clock since there small and a US Navy Chelsea radio room clock and Hamilton model 21 chronometer only ones missing from the collection.

The only thing I see missing on the movement the locking nut set up for securing the pendulum when shipping the clock there are three holes on the movement were it should be. There missing on most rare to see one with one.

The Seller in his ad said was once owned by Brian Burnett who was a Air Chief Marshal in the RAF but the clock was given to him long after WW2 so some cool history with the clock.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Burnett

That is a nice one. Congratulations. As I think I have said before, the most important thing is that the clock looks good on your mantelpiece and your new one has an attractive grain on the wood and a tidy dial. From my own experience, the serviced movement should run for around 10 years before needing another overhaul. Accuracy will be around a minute a week which is pretty good. They are sturdy things so I am sure it will not come to harm on its trip across the pond. Hopefully the seller will have packed it dial down rather than face up so that the heavy movement is not hanging under the dial putting strain on the dial feet.

In fact, I think I might have spotted your clock already on its way in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_w7uSnOj0

Nice looking piece Mike, it will fit right in with your other clocks and watches buddy.
    Farewell to WTU

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    The only thing I see missing on the movement the locking nut set up for securing the pendulum when shipping the clock there are three holes on the movement were it should be. There missing on most rare to see one with one.
    My RAF mantel Clock has transport locking device and I had another made for a friend whose clock was missing this item. I sent my part to be used as a pattern. I was relieved when my part arrived back safely.

It is easy to picture that clock in some pub at Duxford or Biggin Hill as the lads have their pints before the missions tomorrow. It just looks English.
    Nice score Mike.
    D

Pretty cool, nice addition to your collection!
    msa6712
    Z-7

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    It is easy to picture that clock in some pub at Duxford or Biggin Hill as the lads have their pints before the missions tomorrow...

RAF officers enjoy a lunchtime drink at the bar in the Officers Mess at a desert air base in Egypt.

IWM (CBM 1327)

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207662

Here is a cool blog I check out once in a while. This guy collects any thing RAF issued clocks and equipment from the air bases surprised no watches but his RAF clock collection is nice. Surprised he never posted here.
    https://airministrybybuttons.com/

Well it made it to the USA in one piece. These clocks have one heavy pendulums than other clocks I owned but this is the first fusee movement clock I owned so normal I guess.

Glad it arrived safely. Yes, the pendulums are quite a weight. So is the movement. Good solid stuff all round. Built to last.

When I got this clock the pin was missing from the suspension spring so ordered some pin's. The suspension spring is attached to the stick were the bob is attached to the pendulum. I had a piece of wire holding it until the pin's arrived. Well the clock was running fast after the pin was installed the nut was all the way down. To adjust a clocks time the nut ether raises the bob for fast and lower it for slow. So to lower the bob some more had to order a suspension spring there is two holes for pins one to hold the suspension spring to the movement and another to hold the stick. The brass tip on the suspension spring had only one hole I had to cut the proper length then punch a hole at the end of the spring took me two try's to get it right. First time I ever did this looks like she is keeping better time not running fast any more and more threads left to adjust the bob up or down to get it right.

A photo of the pendulum

And a photo of the old suspension spring and one I had to cut for length and punch a hole and put two pins in. The pin's cut real easy with wire cutters. It gave some more length to adjust the nut to slow down the speed of the clock.

Nice repair work although I wonder if that suspension is a bit too long - generally the shorter the better to eliminate excess shudder on the pendulum although as you say the key factor is getting it to the length where you can regulate the clock. The pendulums on these are interesting. Most of them are like yours - with the vertical slot cut into the rod where the crutch pin slots in to. The correct drop to aim for when working out the suspension length is to have the pin around half way down the slot. The earlier version of the pendulum however (as far as I know only on the 1926 clocks) does not have a slot and instead of a crutch pin there is a crutch fork which sits outside the pendulum with two arms to keep the pendulum connected to the escapement. I do not know why Elliott decided to change over from one type to the other - both types seem to work just as well.