Thread: Wildfires in Calif

Default Wildfires in Calif

There was a big windstorm on Sunday night. By morning 20K acres were on fire. It swept over the hill behind my place and burned down about $200M worth of luxury homes on Fountaingrove. Went into northern Santa Rosa and burned down the entire Larkfield area. Then took off down both sides of Hwy 101 and burned down a few subdivisions with maybe 500 homes, most of the businesses on the west side of the Hwy and then turned around and came after me. It stopped about 1M away and the fire wrapped the city to the east, burned down 75 homes and headed into Oakmont a high end retirement area. It then went over the mountain and is threatening my son's houses. They are both in a mandatory evacuation. The State of Calif under Cal Fire is a giant make work project corrupt and inefficient. They hassled the borate bombers about old aircraft, recip engines etc so much that a lot of those guys just quit. Now there are nowhere near enough air tankers to fight the fires. The state has a plan to make sure that the illegal Mexicans get their $10B US every year, but no plan to stop a city from burning to the ground. There are of course plenty of cops around to hassle the snot out of everyone and act official but they don't work fire hoses too well. it gets their swat kits wet. The press conferences tell the tale: a bunch of officials standing in front of a microphone telling everyone what a great job they are doing. There has never been so few resources to fight these fires. This could spell the end for the liberal asshats who run Calif. A lot of very wealthy people have been screwed over by this student government day government. They were concerned about there not being enough housing for the 38,000 illegals in this county, well now there are 2000 less houses, so that didn't work did it?

I did post a message asking you to check in, but I put it on the wrong forum. Anyways, good to hear you are safe and hope that you and your family will continue to be so.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Good to hear you are OK did send you a PM to check on you. MT just took some fire fighting tanker aircraft that were being retired out of retirement to send down to Calif. to help out. When in the CCC back in the 1970's fought a few forest fires one up in Susanville and one up in Konocti California it's tough work with hand tools and a piss pump a back pack sprayer for spot fires we would go back to were the fire truck was to fill the pack back up and the dam thing moved and you would have to find it and rigging fire hoses. And the paper sleeping bags we slept in when we were allowed to sleep blew black stuff out of my nose for a few weeks after fighting those fires only job I ever did were at one point I tried to stand up and I fell back down due to just no sleep and just plain tired.This was back when Cal Fire was called CDF we were trained at a CON camp by CDF to fight fires dam a long time ago. Glad your family is all OK.
    Last edited by river rat; 10-11-2017 at 09:23.

The question is, where are the air tankers? Below is a tidbit from a guy in the know on another website"

" I can tell you that in 2014 Your POS Governor along with the Feds CUT the Air Tanker fleet from like 78 to 40 something.... they added the DC-10-30 which is a great airframe but slow to reload and $$$ to run. Air Tankers with Forest Service Ground troops can make a impact under normal Conditions.... this Aint Normal. I did a short tour in Chino with the Air Tanker service 30 years ago. Until recently most the Airframes were near the end of their life cycles.... they have bought a few Newer AC....a Few...States need to get serious about revamping the whole fleet. In addition as you may know.... Lots of these fires are Man Made.... deliberate acts...."

In one of the burned out subdivisions there were two houses still untouched by the fire, They had no electricity. One of the owners was a Navy Seal and his neighbor was ex-military. They were sitting in their respective homes in the dark, armed to the teeth. A couple of cars rolled up and 5 men got out and tried to break into the homes. The guys stuck weapons in their faces, tied them up and called the sheriff. I think these dopes were lucky to still be alive.
    It is sad to see this disaster unfold, the authorities are chasing their tails, there is no plan that any of us can see, city officials are buffoons, there are tons of people standing around doing nothing. It is three days into the disaster and all they've done is kick thousands of people out of their homes and businesses. New fires keep popping up. I think that 8 years of people who consider failure to be OK has permanently harmed America. A nice try just doesn't cut it in a disaster. I can't imagine how things must be in Houston and Florida if this is the best we can do. Meanwhile the officials keep handing out a trophy for every incompetent department just like they always do.
    Ian, Mike thanks for your concern.
    D

Here is an interesting article in today's Press Democrat:
    http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/75...ire?artslide=0. It talks about the smoke being too thick for planes to fly in the more mountainous terrain, but that more frequent runs are starting to happen from Sonoma Co, and Sacramento.

I'm not a fan of bureaucracy, but there are a couple of positive worth noting. The governor released disaster funding very quickly and he requested (and received) federal assistance very quickly. I was pleasantly surprised how fast that happened. I also have to wonder if there is an upside to CalFire... resources have rolled in very quickly from neighboring counties and states, and that's impressive. I see hundreds of police and fire vehicles rolling up Hwy 101 from the South Bay, the Central Valley, and now parts of Souther California. Just tonight, I saw 20 vehicles (police and fire) coming from Palo Alto and San Jose. I'd like to think that it a sign of organization... hopefully.

I'm not meaning to counter you in any way, and progress has seemed very slow (I'm hearing numbers like 0% to 3% containment), but there do seem to be a couple of things going right. Stay safe! Get ready to head south if necessary since it seems like things are more hectic farther north.
    Last edited by cj415; 10-11-2017 at 22:10.

Well two more tankers coming to Calif. from MT
    https://www.missoulacurrent.com/outd...ifornia-fires/

CJ: I agree that there are some positive signs. My comment would be that this is the 4th day of the disaster and plenty of people are coming in. That didn't help the 2000 homeowners who needed someone on say Tuesday when their home was burning up. What I am seeing now is lots of NG troops coming in and setting up tents in parking lots, they will be standing around "supporting" shortly. There are hundreds of cops and they run around and do cop stuff. Plenty of reports on Neighborhood watch sites of looters wandering around impersonating detectives, PG&E workers asking people when they will be leaving. The main focus appears to be to expand these huge evacuation areas, informing people that they should get out and then not letting them back in. This would be good except that a lot of these areas are ghost towns ripe for picking. There was a mob of 22 police cars screaming out into Bennett Valley rd, doing what? The road is closed to civilians and has been for days. The only effective tool is air tankers and choppers dropping buckets of water. A very high end subdivision called Bennett Ridge burned to the ground 75 homes each worth $700K+ a day ago when there are three large lakes full of water less than 2 miles away. A chopper and bucket could have done so much. This was on a day with almost no wind, ideal fire fighting weather. TV crew said that because there wasn't that many houses, that Cal Fire folks didn't even attempt to save those 75 homes. One of the Santa Rosa Fire houses burned down with the vehicles. How's that sound? My sons had the fire come within 1/4 mile of the house last night. This would have burned say 400 houses. My place is now in a voluntary evacuation area again because the fires that already missed me by 1/2 mile on Monday, are now coming back. My neighbors have hoses and sprinklers on their roofs all last night in case burning embers fall near us. The cities of Napa and Sonoma are surrounded by fire as we speak. We will have a couple of news conferences today so the officials and Cal Fire can tell us what a great job they are doing. The city council will tell us what a bunch of heroes the cops are for doing exceptional standing around and the poor guys who are trying to put this mess out have no tankers. Some of those firefighters haven't slept for days. After four days of effort one fire is 10% contained. The rest are out of control.

Stay safe Dave. Unfortunately, with the Democratic Party Super-Majority in the CA State Legislature, this kind of preparation and response is the outcome.

I live in San Jose where thankfully the smoke hasn't reached yet. But I work in Emeryville and when I got out of my car on Tuesday (first day in the office this week) was choking from the haze and ash fall. Terrible. Still in the air over the bay here today.

Thanks.
    I was able this AM to get over to the other house by the golf course and see my sons and granddaughter. I think that my oldest son, his wife and the baby are going to go down to her parents place in Stockton. This, on again off again alert is getting them down. The fire made it down to about 1/4M from that house last night. The expectation is for 50 mph winds tonight and that could be a complete disaster if it does. I was able to find a store this morning and bought a large cycling sprinkler I put it on the roof and it covers about 2/3 of the roof and part of the yard. My problem is fir trees on the highway overhang my house. Fire trucks and air tankers have been coming in all day. Stuff we needed 3 days ago. To show you how screwed up the Cal Fire organization is, they are talking about flying in firemen from Australia. Yah Think? Why not Borneo or India? The air tanker attack on the fires is officially the largest enterprise in history. They still have no chance of stopping this fire.
    Regarding the Democrats in Calif: They may have killed the goose that lays the golden eggs. A fuck up of monumental proportions like this that burns down so much valuable property owned by so many rich people is hard to make excuses for. They have a plan for sanctuary cities and providing aid and comfort to the illegals, but for the people who own California...........too bad all around. In a fire time is survival. Every hour you delay, the fire grows, these officials did nothing except "Save lives" for two days and now that thing is beyond huge.

It rained yesterday about 1/2". This helped but remarkably doesn't put out the fires. I happened to go by the main camp for firefighters and evacuees and livestock. It looks like Bosnia and San Francisco mixed. Mud, cops and MPs, hundreds of little Eddie Bauer tents with people living in them. Plenty of police everywhere the place is locked down. people looting. The homeless have died and gone to heaven, free chow, lots of it, free clothes, plenty of empty houses to loot. Some guy who was burned out applied for FEMA help but someone had already looted his house stolen his identity and applied for free money using his S.S, number. I swear, this republic doesn't have long to go. The scum rule the state, it is just a matter of time before this becomes an active rebellion with guns. Some illegal Mexican guy who'd been arrested many times and was homeless, was caught red handed starting a fire saying "He was cold". Arrested for arson, The county sheriff let him walk out the door calling ICE as an afterthought and then came out very indignant about the man's rights being violated. You can't make this shit up. Do yourselves a big favor and never come to California.

According to this the chap is still in custody - http://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinion...fake-fire-news

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

I was talking to a buddy I know in Calif. And my Friends wife volunteered to work for the Red Cross and she went down to Santa Rosa so there are a few good people doing things down there.