Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BHI Event In London: "Land, Sea & Air" with mil watch content!

Default BHI Event In London: "Land, Sea & Air" with mil watch content!

I've been asked to invite you all to a forthcoming British Horological Institue Event in London entitled "Land, Sea & Air"

Among the many attractions will be Owen Gilchrist talking through the prototype cal. 1215 used in the Smiths Mk X, plus:

David Boettcher --- The Earliest British Military Wristwatches
    Kurt Brøndum --- Collecting Breitling Navitimers - in Pursuit of Perfect Vintage Watches
    James Dowling --- Wristwatch Navigation, via Weems and the Mark 11
    Owen Gilchrist --- On the Bench: Finer Points of the Smiths Military Calibre
    Rory McEvoy --- On the Bench with Larcum Kendall’s K1 (A video presentation made for the conference)
    David Read --- From Marine Chronometer to Military Navigation by Wristwatch
    Inge Solheim --- Polar Exploration - A Perspective from the Wrist
    Adrian van der Meijden --- IWC Mark 11 Wristwatches used by the B.O.A.C.

I know this is just the sort of thing you chaps will hate and I can't see anything there that might be of interest to any of you (what the hell is a "Weems" when it's at home, and as for "Mark 11" -- that's a chapter in the Bible, right?)

I hope the "Polar Exploration" talk features the Smiths Antarctic (I mean, whatever that is right?)

It sounds terribly dull darlings but I've been asked to bring it to your attention and so I have.

http://bhi.co.uk/lsaconference/
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Sounds great, but £90!!!!!!

The Antiquarian Horological Society event was free and they fed us and were pouring beer down our necks!

Quote Originally Posted by rodabod View Post
    Sounds great, but £90!!!!!!

The Antiquarian Horological Society event was free and they fed us and were pouring beer down our necks!
    Well, quite.

But once they are all pissed you can nick some watches and the day should more than pay for itself.
    Last edited by Revo; 10-09-2017 at 08:39.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

PS Also: commandeer the boat. What could possibly go wrong?

Hi Oli that's does sound like an interesting day (all be it f-ing expensive)
    I will look at the diary and if free I will pop along.

My first forum post here. I'm sorry to say that I don't understand the Moderator's negativity. True, the event may be expensive, but if you don't believe in it, why not let others make up their minds without pre-judging or planting negative thoughts from the outset? Also, I don't buy the idea that it is of zero interest to members of this forum, given the high quality of the speakers and the type of advertised content. It seems to me that collectors of military watches might want to hear these speakers talk about exactly these subjects.

I should have thought the role of a moderator is first and foremost to be fair and impartial.

If it was in my neck of the woods I would go. Let us who live to far know how this turns out looks like a great time.

It was clearly intended as British sarcasm.

If that's the case, then I apologise. It doesn't read that way at all, but perhaps to those who *know the Moderator it is more obvious?

Seems very obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by titankron View Post
    My first forum post here. I'm sorry to say that I don't understand the Moderator's negativity. True, the event may be expensive, but if you don't believe in it, why not let others make up their minds without pre-judging or planting negative thoughts from the outset? Also, I don't buy the idea that it is of zero interest to members of this forum, given the high quality of the speakers and the type of advertised content. It seems to me that collectors of military watches might want to hear these speakers talk about exactly these subjects.

I should have thought the role of a moderator is first and foremost to be fair and impartial.
    Sorry Justin, just my attempt at humour. And I didn't say it was expensive: £90 for a day out in London with catering and top speakers in a fascinating venue could be a lot worse.

I would love to attend this event but I'm already booked and busy that day.

I hope the talks will be recorded and posted online as I'm very sorry to be missing it.

(By the way, I think "Weems" is Dutch for "penis" and is their equivalent of the British English "willie"? As for a "Mk 11", well everybody knows that that was successor the the Mk 10 and was, in turn, superseded by the Mk 12. Hey, we know our stuff on here!)

Oliver, stop being a Weems right now.

Hello, Sir. Thanks for clarifying! Yes, I can now see that you were being wry and dry - I think I need to re-tune to the Forum's wavelength! Sorry you can't join! All the best, and thanks for posting.

So far I know of at least one forum member who's hoping attend on the back of this thread so hopefully we've given it some good publicity.

Apologies for my sense of humour, it's an acquired taste. I told this one in church the other day and got in trouble for it:

Two deaf old men in a nursing home, one say to the other "My wife's got acute angina." The other one replied "Ooh you lucky thing."

You told that one in church??????? Blimey....

Re. the mil watch event, if I were in the UK those days I would be there like a shot, but unfortunately I’m in the frozen north that day. So, is there any chance that the event is being filmed or that some slides, if there are any, might be available afterwards?

It would be great if the talks were videoed and uploaded.

I'm hoping there will be a Smiths Navigator there . . . .

The Forum Spake, and the BHI listened! Prices now considerably reduced. If you have already bought a ticket at the old price, the BHI difference will of course refund the difference. Thanks for your input, everyone.

Actually, having re-read the link I realise that this is for a full-day event; that's rather good value but even better now at the reduced price.

Thumbs up

Did anyone here go to this?