Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lemania HS9 please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakec862 View Post
    Well the guy said it was all original. What sort of money is it to fix? Essentially have a payed for something worthless? I understood the markings was a big deal. Furthermore I like the patina but does it suggest that there is a waterproofing issue?

Is the dial, case original etc?
    Do you have a series? Age?
    Any idea if it is a submarine dial or is it standard?
    Regarding worth. I'd imagine this one would be worth around £1000 on it's current state.

Right, thank you! What is the actually/Avg cost because the prices are so variable. Also anyone have an idea about the date. From what Iíve read the latest it can be is a series 2? Could you at least give me a window, if as I assume no number makes that hard but the movement most have a year or something?

You need to very carefully consider on what terms you wish to return this watch, since the description is quite vague.

If they said "movement all original" then it would be simple.

If it doesn't function perfectly well then you may have legitimate grounds for return though.

Thank you all for your kind advice. I appreciate all the answers given, but, I think as a normal guy with an eye far less sharp. We all know it was used in the military at some point. It is a shame I canít track a year down. But the patina for me adds character. I have seen milsubs( apple and pairs I know) with awfully destroyed dials that I just love. With regards to not being being fully original Ďitís a shame but as a layman I think it is a lovely piece of history that I can perhaps take forward and look after for years to come, if the price of trash lasts

Default 15CHT

the ebay movement -

one of my movements -

as foilguy has stated there are some incorrect movement parts..

EBay will always side with the buyer. Even when they back out of a deal. But rodabod is correct, the description is accurate in terms of covering the ambiguities Of The watch. To be fair the seller hasn't done anything wrong. Just waited for someone not privy to this watch, or what to look for, and waited for the law of averages to take hold.

the Lemania is a series 1 circa 1945 to 1950 and was probably originally marked H.S.9

I'm always staggered by how old the series one watch are.

Default this one that has just sold was all original

Lemania HS 9 Fleet Air Arms Watch

Winning bid: £1,700.00 GBP - 21 bids

This was my fathers watch in the Fleet Air Arms. It has been in a drawer for some years...

I suspect we're going to see quite a few frankenwatches appearing on eBay in future months after a certain Scottish military watch auction...

Again, Thank you! To be honest call me a fool, but Iím very excited. If anyone knows a good place to get the original parts then please let me know.

You need to decide if you definitely do or do not want to keep it.

If it were me, I would argue that the seller failed to mention that not all of the movement parts are original to the watch, and possibly that the original case back engraving had been removed. You're not writing to the seller here per se, as you are writing something which the staff at eBay will later read and make a decision on.

Yes, Rodabod has it fairly. It will be a case of arguing that the vendor had a duty of care to inform the buyer of the various issues with the watch. That they failed to do so. They of course can equally say that they didn't know. Though they would of known that the reset spring was incorrect at the minimum, as they replaced it. Keeping this watch is not advisable at the price you paid. Your first point of call should be to have a discussion with the vendor, and ask if they will accept a return. there is an ebay process for this. Also did you enter into any discussion with the vendor prior to purchasing? Especially as you mentioned they said it was all original. If this was the case, then you have justification for a refund. Sorry, but there is nothing to get excited about with this particular watch.

Note that the seller has a returns not accepted policy and eBay are getting literal in their interpretations. If the item is broken or has a defect this should override the no returns but otherwise? On the flip side, an ebay template hard-wired a vanilla returns policy for me recently and I was told that buyers remorse was enough to force the return. When I said that I wasn't in the business of insuring buyers against buyers remorse and that in future all my listings would have a no returns policy they just said: it will make you uncompetitive. (You can filter eBay searches for 'returns accepted' for instance). eBay seemed quite happy to force me into that position, although I would only enforce it personally if the buyer was trying it on. I agree that negotiation is the best hope in this circumstance. If eBay gets involved, I'd be interested to hear what they say.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Give it a full wind, and see how accurate it is (to the second) when either crown-down or crown-up. And see how close the running time is to the spec too; it's probably a 36hr or 40hr movement.

If I go into discussion, how much does the unoriginal parts cost to replace, if and when I find them? Also how hard are they to find?

Some parts can be obtained here. Through John Senior (obsoletewatchparts) and Ian.wilkinson

However your hardest find will be the case back. If and when one comes up you maybe looking at £500

Dial will be a couple of hundred.

They said in the listing as youíve seen. It says there are faint HS9 markings, how much of a crime would it be to re etch on top of it? Also if it doesnít it is good grounds for returns

Etching a Hs9 mark will not be an option. No matter how well done, it will be unlikely that it will look original. Anything else will be dismissed or worse still, devalue watch further. Anyhow I think it's best to draw a line on this. You've had some opinions and advice. Sorry if i appeared the voice of doom. Good luck with whatever you decide.

No thatís ok, thank you for all your comments and such. Keep up the good work!