Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought one of these, what is it? Longines 19.73N Double Face

Default I bought one of these, what is it? Longines 19.73N Double Face

Has anyone researched into these before? A couple of them are in Mexico and one is
    in Morocco. They seem to have been produced from 1900s to 1930s. Some owners
    have dated as early as 1890, but I think that is not matching up with information from
    Longines. Does anyone have early catalog information? I assume this is a special order
    watch that was never mass produced.

How you wear it on your wrist? Seiji you are becoming a longines obsessive!!

I know, I think the last 10 serious purchases have all been Longines related. I asked my wife for it for our 10th anniversary. Which, entitles her to 1/2 my collection if we file for divorce in California! Oh noooo! Maybe I can give her the house and I can keep the watches! She'll never find all the banks!

I think they are production models for retail. Two are pocket chronographs and two are tachometers. Since things ran more slowly 100 years ago, the dial set up to measure slow speeds. If it moves fast, read the speed on the red chapter. After a minute running, the pointer will jump to "2" and read the speed on the black chapter, and so on.
    Bill in Sacramento

Hi Bill, just wanted to check if you realized that these aren't sets of pocket watches. These are the front and back views of three watches. To access the movement, you have to remove the back dial. Double face pocket watches are a unique complication.

This one is of course an extreme example of a double face.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielad.../#2f4d34ce20dc

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/wat...er/1910/376979

Thanks, Seiji, I missed that point, which is a neat complication - one side has a minute countdown and the other has running seconds and minute totalizer. Since there is only one pusher, do both sweep hands run simultaneously.
    Bill in Sacramento

Yes, I believe so. I haven't received mine yet. I also believe that this level of complication was very expensive for the era. Hence, this could have been special order only watch based on the common 19.73 and 19.73N movement. I just don't know the Longines variation designation for this complication. I sent email to St Imier for details.

This came from Longines Museum.

Here it is, from Mexico City! The watch was originally purchased and used by a doctor almost 100 years ago. The grand children or great grand children cleaning the estate sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiji View Post
    The grand children or great grand children cleaning the estate sold it.
    Nice watch, nice complication...The last sentence sends shivers down my spine, I'd hate to think, that is the final fate of my collection!
    Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Great find, Seiji!
    i can see that you refer to extracts of the book of Patrick Linder that is my Longines'bible. I can only encourage any Longines fan to buy it.
    I have recently bought a few Longines folding pocket watches that were either alarm watches or 8 day watches. Very interesting early complications also manfactured almost a century ago.
    Longines remains a mine for nice finds at reasonable prices, if only a bunch of Italian collectors could give us a break when selling Longines at highly inflated prices just because the caseback has three "tacche" instead of six......or " calatrava" Longines although such denomination does not exist in Longines history!

Super cool watch !!

Default Could be worse

Quote Originally Posted by papazulu View Post
    Nice watch, nice complication...The last sentence sends shivers down my spine, I'd hate to think, that is the final fate of my collection!
    My wife keeps trying to get me to confess how many I have and keeps trying to convert my watches into shoes.
    In my Last Will In Testament, I shall donate all the museum quality to a museum

Quote Originally Posted by stiocour View Post
    Patrick Linder that is my Longines'bible.
    I did not know this, it was from Jennifer Bouchard Longines Heritage Museum that sent me the info. I have to look for this book!

Quote Originally Posted by Syrte View Post
    Super cool watch !!
    Thanks, I guess I missed noticing that you are a Moderator for this forum!

I did not know this, it was from Jennifer Bouchard Longines Heritage Museum that sent me the info. I have to look for this book!
    Jennifer Bochud rather!

Quote Originally Posted by stiocour View Post
    Jennifer Bochud rather!
    Aha, sorry, yes of course you are correct. Thank you. And, yes, for those who really appreciate mechanical artwork, very early Longines are attractive to me. Not much left easily obtainable in the 13zn and 30ch area. I'm going back through some of the pocket watches since no one wants them!

By the way, if anyone know of where I can find a Longines 19 ligne from Kure, Japan where the Yamato and Mushashi battleships were built, please send me an IM. That is one watch I could have had that now I can't find after 6 years looking!

Thanks, I guess I missed noticing that you are a Moderator for this forum!
    Recent occurrence

Hello, Seiji.

Congratulations for your acquisition. It is a beauty.

The photos in the third row (the larger two, with the dinged tacho-dial and yellowish glass) is mine – a recently discovered heritage. Trying to have it repaired was an adventure.

Your Mexican seller also tried to sell his on eBay for an exaggerated price and wrote it had a silver case – he either meant the colour “silver”, not the material, or was wrong, I don't think there is a silver case version of this double-face. Mine dates from the late twenties and cost about 108 Swiss Francs – afaIk, in today´s money the equivalent of 3000-5000 US$, someone please correct me if I am wrong. Was that a fortune? I don't know.

The 19.73N was not a rare Longines calibre, but this double face is a rarity (said Longines).

I was thrilled to see the the page from Patrick Linder's book – but it is about the 19.73, not the 19.73N.
    PLease, could you post a better scan? I am interested in details in the Materials sheet. for the 19.73N

Thanky you!

Sorry for the late reply. I think that is the best I can do for the scan of the pages. They came from Longines. I don't have the book.

All the ones I am aware of are silver. I think 0.900 silver. You can see the one below is also silver or silver plated.

Did you see this? One is displayed in the Longines Museum.