Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch in transit: when to worry?

Default Watch in transit: when to worry?

Hi All

Advice needed, please.

I bought a watch from New Zealand.

I told the seller that declaring the contents as a watch attracts thieves, so maybe putting “timer” or saying “horological instrument” would be best.

I also asked him to send it with a declared value of $100.

The seller replied: "Our NZ Post system has a range of international delivery services. The most appropriate one is International Courier, delivery 2 to 6 working days, online tracking, signature on delivery. There is a minimum weight so I may have to introduce some "ballast". To follow your suggestion, a description of "Horological Equipment (used)" might be appropriate? And a declared value of $100."

The seller then posted it and sent me a tracking number.

So far, so good.

But whenever I check the tracking online I get this:

"Last updated: 22/9/2017 22:06 Held for clearance in Coventry, United Kingdom"

I was pretty cool about that until Friday came and went as that marked the one week anniversary of it arriving there.

Is a long delay normal? Should I be worried? What can I do?

Thanks
    Last edited by Revo; 10-01-2017 at 12:44.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Just found this:

https://support.nzpost.co.nz/app/ans...tional-parcels

https://royalmailchat.co.uk/communit...hp?f=6&t=71866

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...-clear-customs

Things do seem to get stuck at Coventry . . . .

But still not sure if over a week is normal and/or what I can do about it. :-/
    Last edited by Revo; 10-01-2017 at 00:14.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I'd not be worried. When it says tracking number not known is the time to panic.

I've had your pain many times. Don't worry you'll get it.

I wouldn't worry just yet. Start to worry in two weeks.

Oh, and don't ever use Yodel - I had a JLC sent to me recently which never made it beyond their depot.

It'll be being sorted for tax payment and collection at your local parcel force Depo. You'll likely get a bill for around £15 in the post. That takes them awhile.

it'll be fine; you have to factor in the tea breaks and the red tape.

expect to see it on this week's Friday Roll Call; very intrigued as to what it may be..
    Last edited by dave; 10-01-2017 at 05:01. Reason: grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    it'll be fine; you have to factor in the tea breaks and the red tape.

expect to see it on this week's Friday Roll Call; very intrigued as to what it may be..
    Oh it’s nothing just a LeCoultre Weems.

as others ...............'don't panic!!!!'

recently i received small package from far east.........it landed in UK then went AWOL

4 weeks + later still not delivered....reported missing then 5 weeks later package was delivered

...who knows where it had been

...still 'fingers XXXX for ya'

Mark L

You should've asked to buy one of mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Oh itís nothing just a..
    okay and there was me thinking that you were worrying about a Smiths Mk11 Navigator..

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    okay and there was me thinking that you were worrying about a Smiths Mk11 Navigator..
    The truly lost Navigator. Poor old Smiths, not much luck with MoD contracts until the mighty W10 arrived, right at the end.

As for watches in the post, I'm sure there's something in the Kings Regs about not deserting one's post . . . watches that go AWOL can be court-martialled (they should be made to run fast for an hour or two hahahaha)

Time to panic is when some small customs inspector does a search on LeCoultre Weems and finds out what it's really worth

Sorry

Gotten that many times. Backlog of packages at customs and item is in a holding pattern until it's checked and released

DON

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    Time to panic is when some small customs inspector does a search on LeCoultre Weems and finds out what it's really worth

Sorry
    Not this one, bought it incomplete as a project but beginning to wish I hadn’t as I could do without the hassle. Hope I don’t regret it.

Ach, we’ll see. Glad to hear you chaps think it’s still likely to arrive. I needed to hear that.

No pain, no gain.

Good news: called the Depot, a very helpful man said it was nearing the end of its journey through their system and an invoice had been raised. He said things have been taking a long time to clear customs recently and gave me a UK tracking number. He thought it might be ready later today or in the next day or two.

Feeling happier.

Told you to call them

Default Advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Hi All

Advice needed, please.

I bought a watch from New Zealand.

I told the seller that declaring the contents as a watch attracts thieves, so maybe putting “timer” or saying “horological instrument” would be best.

I also asked him to send it with a declared value of $100.

The seller replied: "Our NZ Post system has a range of international delivery services. The most appropriate one is International Courier, delivery 2 to 6 working days, online tracking, signature on delivery. There is a minimum weight so I may have to introduce some "ballast". To follow your suggestion, a description of "Horological Equipment (used)" might be appropriate? And a declared value of $100."

The seller then posted it and sent me a tracking number.

So far, so good.

But whenever I check the tracking online I get this:

"Last updated: 22/9/2017 22:06 Held for clearance in Coventry, United Kingdom"

I was pretty cool about that until Friday came and went as that marked the one week anniversary of it arriving there.

Is a long delay normal? Should I be worried? What can I do?

Thanks
    I have waited over 30 days for the US customs to process a shipment then another 2 weeks for the post office to finally deliver an item from China and at other times it was 1 week from China so it is the luck of the draw on shipping times in the US. But I would start worrying if it was from the large auction site when the time for negative feedback starts getting close.
    Last edited by Firegriff; 10-03-2017 at 09:28. Reason: additional text

Any sign of the watch yet?
    Cheers.

Yes! It arrived safe and sound on Monday — after I paid the fees online. Still, it’s here. Thanks for asking and apologies for not updating you