Thread: ARs! Good grief…

Default ARs! Good grief…

I have wanted to buy an AR15 type rifle/carbine for some time and I keep telling myself “stop the research and just go buy one” but the more I read to more confused I become. There are more AR clones than there are Submariner clones and just like Sub clones there are quality ARs and junk ARs. Our leader Bob has, in the past, recommended the Colt M4 Carbine (civilian version) and other guys whose opinions I respect have recommended the Springfield Saint, both of which are in the same general price range. Then there is shopping for the lowest price. The dealers in my area all have their prices inflated. All I’m looking for is a fun shooter to take to the range every few weeks and punch some holes in paper at various distances. Then there are the optics and other accessories, I even read somewhere that there is a .22LR conversion kit. It’s never ending and easy to see why I can’t make a decision. Any words of wisdom you guys would like to share will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Patrick;
    I probably weighed in on your other posts, but I'll offer up my 2 cents worth here. I would make my first AR a Colt A4 and here is why. First, it is the modern iteration of the original AR with a solid stock and removable carry handle. I like it because it is a full sized rifle with a 20" barrel and just "feels right" to me. I think it is a great platform for learning to be knowledgeable about, and proficient with the AR. I also like it because it is iconic, sort of like shooting a 1911, wearing a Submariner, carrying a Randall knife, riding a Harley, whatever. Second, Colt builds a good, solid, quality rifle. You can pay a lot more for a "boutique" brand, or somewhat less for a bargain basement one, but I think Colt represents a good middle of the road. I would ignore the guys who say to build your own. If it ever needs work (in or out of warranty) who are you going to send it to? And, if you ever decide to sell it, a "put together" is just a bunch of parts. Everyone recognizes the value of a Colt. I also like the idea of starting out with a basic version and shooting it enough to learn what you like, and don't like, before adding a lot of bells and whistles. I've been down this road with 1911's and have ended up gravitating back to the basic GI configuration (except with better sights). If you can, try shooting a few different flavors of AR's to see what you like best. I you prefer carbines, the Colt LE6920 is a great rifle, although I have a Ruger that I honestly can't say anything bad about. I can say that if i had to pare down my little collection of AR's, my A4 would be the last to go. Another honorable mention is this category is a company called Windham Weaponry. My understanding is that it is the old "Bushmaster" group. They make one in the same full sized configuration, and the ones that I have seen are nicely done. Just my personal observations here. If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a PM.
    Tom

Great advice from Tom. My son recently bought a bullet button Colt just before Calif. outlawed buying them. It has a Colt marked flat top upper and is Melonite treated in barrel and chamber. I've heard that these Colts are now assembled by a company called Anderson. What to buy? I have been messing around with ARs since the 80s. They are quite literally the easiest rifles to work on and assemble of any made. Most of the components are made by probably less than a half dozen companies. There are hundreds of race parts that are supposed to be vast improvements over standard parts, things like chrome plated bolt carriers and parts made of sophisticated metals. Do they make a difference in anything but the price? Maybe. An expensive AR like a Daniel Defense or White Oak is better because it uses the best of these parts and is carefully assembled, it also costs 2-3 times as much as a regular AR. In my opinion the choice would be gas or piston, one does not dump hot gasses directly into the chamber area and uses a piston like an AK. It will be more reliable and cost double what a standard gas impinged AR costs. The salient point is that the old AR15 A2 was developed and lubricated with sophisticated oils to the point that it could shoot 4-500 rds without a hiccup if you could still hold it after that much heat. Probably more than that. The A4 carbine is handy and easy to handle, put an Aimpoint on it and you are kitted up like a 11B today. It gives up some velocity and accuracy, but not much. The AR is an inherently accurate rifle in any configuration, I mean much more accurate than the AK. I have an old billet lower, and A2 upper and a Vietnam era 1/12" chrome lined Colt barrel. It will shoot groups around 2" at 100 yards with the standard Army sights. It never jams with factory ammo and rarely with my reloads. If a pending gunfight is in the works, I'd probably grab the AR instead of the Garand simply because I know how to shoot it better. A bandoleer of 20s and I'm good to go. I also have a 1/9" heavy barrel that I can change in about 1/2 hour if I want to do some serious target shooting. Bottom line, buy the best you can afford but don't be afraid to go cheap because they will shoot just as well.
    D

Hi Patrick;
    Have you made a decision on an AR yet? If so, what did you end up with and how do you like it?
    Tom

I do believe I have located the item I want but cannot pick it up until the first week in November. I'll report bak when it is in hand. Thanks