Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The longest of long shots

Default The longest of long shots

So... did I throw away a fiver or get an interesting and cheap project ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-broken...vip=true&rt=nc

Are you thinking Record? Looks like it might be to my non-expert eye.....

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Are you thinking Record? Looks like it might be to my non-expert eye.....
    To be honest I haven't analysed it at all, but from memory I thought it most looked like a Record too. I put in a low bid and have to say I was surprised to be the only bidder. It will be a couple of weeks until it turns up as it was posted to relatives in the UK.

My curiousity will kill me over two weeks though so I needed to ask here !

I have a caseback if it is.

Likely Record with MoD tritium dial. Possibility of Veryex or Lemania, but they tend to have prominent dial logos.

Great bargain!

Default auction images

Two broken watches Good for parts or for watchmaker. One is russian.

Winning bid: 2.79 GBP - 1 bid

The strap on the Vostok is worth 2.79.

Looks like an unmarked caseback and plated crown, which are associated with the later GA-marked Records rather than WWWs, which should have marked casebacks and SS crowns.

WWW caseback will have a 6-digit factory serial on the inside, GA caseback serial will be 7-digit.

Dial looks like an unsigned 10034 MOD dial, the sub-seconds track and curly 9 are identical.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsy View Post
    Looks like an unmarked caseback and plated crown, which are associated with the later GA-marked Records rather than WWWs, which should have marked casebacks and SS crowns.

WWW caseback will have a 6-digit factory serial on the inside, GA caseback serial will be 7-digit.

Dial looks like an unsigned 10034 MOD dial, the sub-seconds track and curly 9 are identical.
    Ah, that's interesting about the GA-marked records, hadn't crossed my mind. I looked at the caseback and thought perhaps it had been skimmed to take-off the standard WWW markings, but your hypothesis makes more sense. Time will tell !

I have previously recorded several sterile case backs on GA Records..

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    The strap on the Vostok is worth 2.79.
    Yes, that strap caught my eye. Love the little enamel (?) picture. If it could, that strap has interesting stories to tell.
    Law's in the wash this week

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Yes, that strap caught my eye. Love the little enamel (?) picture. If it could, that strap has interesting stories to tell.
    Its a picture of Gagarin. Standard Boctock strap circa early/mid 1980s. Tourist stuff.

I think I have a similar strap somewhere on a cheap chrono watch that someone gave me years ago. I'll see if I can dig it out. I'd agree with it being tourist stuff.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Well... it just arrived and it seems it is (or at least was) a Record WWW. Haven't measured the thickness of the back but it must have been skimmed, and whoever did it even went to the trouble of skimming the inside too. Movement runs fine which is a big bonus. Not bad for the price of a pint

Photos with my knackered dial Record.

very weird, that's something the Military are likely to do, rather than a civilian. Anyhow you've plenty of routes to go down should you want. Get that nasty crown replaced though, whatever you do. Case and movement look excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    very weird, that's something the Military are likely to do, rather than a civilian. Anyhow you've plenty of routes to go down should you want. Get that nasty crown replaced though, whatever you do. Case and movement look excellent.
    It did strike me as odd, but it didn't cross my mind that the military might have done it. Turning the outside markings off the caseback would be a simple lathe job, but it's been on a miller to take the inside markings off. Seems a lot of effort. Can you imagine why the military might do this ?

No idea. What do you think you'll do to it? You could go down tje full make over route. Keep the bits. I'd imagine you could get that back to stock for around 150-200 simple fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    Get that nasty crown replaced though, whatever you do.
    Is there anything to say it's not original to the watch? It looks very like the chrome over brass winder on my Vertex WWW which I think is original to that watch, and there's no reason to suppose that steel winding crowns were fitted as new in 1945, after all - the case was chrome over a base metal and many ATPs (which, many forget, were close to the WWWs in both date and origins) used the same material for both case and winder.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

P.S. I'm interested in this detail particularly because I'm thinking of flogging the Vertex and I've only ever seen stainless crowns on that model, so an original winder would be a nice-to-have/keep.

No idea Paul. I'll get a correct crown as a minimum, but without knowing the full-story I'm not sure I'd want to mess too much with it (especially as the dial seems to be a sterile 10034 MOD dial as Bobsy suggested above). Are there other unsigned MOD dials out there ?