Thread: KEMMNER 007 9-17 review:

Cool KEMMNER 007 9-17 review:

As a long time member since 1998 (TZ the PARIS 1926 days) on various watch forums, MWR, WN,SCWF.

I am a big fan of dive watches and they have been my typical wear watch for the last 40 years since my first Rolex Sub in 1977 for $450 and prior to that in 1969 my first really cool watch a Heuer Autavia chrono I purchased new for $75 and lots and lots of Marlboro packs when Heurer/Marlboro sponsored Formula One racing in the late 60's, seems I saw an watch ad in a Car magazine and not being a smoker it took me a short time to collect the packs from high school smoker friends. But a bit more time to earn the $75.....

Anyway so much for watch history and on to my current choice:

OVERVIEW:
    My current Kemmner 007 which I believe is the third in Roland's 007 series, mine has the Kemmner signature in gold on the dial below 12, others had the Kemmner name in red or white in a Heuer styled logo available with either white or vintage lume on hands and indices.

The watch is assembled in Germany by the well known and respected Roland Kemmner. It contains an eta 2824-2 movement which after 24 hours is spot on according to NIST website. Water resistant to 200 meters, drilled lugs, C3 lume on hands and indices. Surprisingly the lume pip is BWG9 could be a misassemble but adds to the "lume charm" at night which is quite good like the dial lume and lasts the night as I am a 24/7 wearer. 39.8 mm in diameter which is a great overall size and 48 mm lug to lug.

DIAL: The no date dial is black with with gilt hands and gilt circled indices, a typical Mercedes hour hand and minute hand which is a bit wider and both with excellent C3 lume. along with the second hand . The black uncluttered dial has only Roland's last name signature.

CASE: Again well designed and high quality machining All pertinent info like serial number, depth rating, country of manufacture, crystal type and is deeply engraved on the case back which uses a Rolex style removal grooves, also well done.
    An additional interesting note is the serial is also engraved into the case at 6 o'clock between the lugs (well done and a quality deep engraving) about 14 mm thick.

CROWN: An 8 mm crown with the distinctive K etched into it. **note (this is the only what looks to be laser etched mark on the watch) The K on mine happens to align perfectly when tightened in the vertical position not sure if it's the design or just chance.

CRYSTAL: A slightly domed ar inside coated sapphire crystal. Bezel insert is looks to be aluminum, with an inlayed lume pip of BWG9. 120 distinctive clicks and well machined coin edge bezel.

BRACELET: The 20mm Oyster styled bracelet has full and half sized (notice the photo showing side view of bracelet links) H style links which makes wrist sizing perfect. Well machined screws and it comes with two high quality jeweler s screwdrivers for removal. Two headed screws (one slot head fixed is to the internally threaded tube) for link adjustment. The micro coast is a flip-look type with the Kemmner signature brand on the clasp. 4 micro holes for seasonal adjustments and also a divers extension which is really not needed but part of the overall design. Very comfortable and not too heavy. Links are about 2.5 mm thick, over all a well designed and well machined bracelet. The bracelet comes with 1.78 mm diameter typical flanged springbars.

**However I would recommend you get the shoulder-less type with 2.8 mm long extensions with 1.1 mm tip end that will extend all the way into the lug holes creating a more secure fit.The 1.1 tip end fits perfect into the drilled lugs. ** NOTE: On eBay check with Hank in Australia a long time friend of mine who sells springbars. Select the 1.78 mm if you want to use the bracelet or the 2.00 mm diameter is you are using a G-10 or Nylon heavy duty ( Zulu style) strap. ( 5 x 20mm x 2.00mm SHOULDERLESS S/BAR 316L S/S 1.1mm THICK ENDS 2.8mm EXTENSIONS).

** NOTICE the side views photos with the flanged type springbars (second) and the first with the 2.8 mm extended shoulderless type.

The small zipper vinyl covered two watch storage pouch comes with the two jewelry screwdrivers (purple band) a nice Bond styled (different color scheme than original ) G-10 nylon strap, a polish cloth and Roland's business card. The last two items were missing as I obtained from the original owner who possibly misplaced them.

One of my favorite straps is a: Hadley Roma MSM740RA which is a perfect match of quality between waterproof layered leather and silicone with contrasting stitching. And goes well with look of the the watch

To all my forum friends : "wear your watches in good health, enjoy the love of family and friends, live life to its fullest, and check that feedback before you buy".
    Attached Images

John

Do you still own the Rolex and Heuer?

No Rolex got traded for a Colt 1911 in 1982

not sure what happened to the Heuer, I think it may be in with stuff from my Mother at my sisters ?
    John