Thread: Postal advice: NZ to UK, high value

Default Postal advice: NZ to UK, high value

Hi All

I've got a watch coming from New Zealand to UK, reasonably high value (for the sake of argument let's say a couple of thousand pounds).

I'm aware that a couple of members have lost parcels in the post from the UK to Australia recently.

I wonder if a high insurance / declared value attracts thieves or -- if it gets past the crooks -- a high customs tariff?

But is the alternative is just rolling it in a little bubblewrap and popping it in a jiffy bag?

I don't mind paying my taxes but an import duty of 20% seems steep and unwarranted, frankly.

So: NZ to UK, two grand: what would you do?

Thanks

Edit: is there a way to get it well insured without putting a high value on the customs declaration?
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I never declare a WATCH or CLOCK,
    for me it is either an
    INSTRUMENT
    or a
    TIMEKEEPING INSTRUMENT
    Watches attract thieves , Instruments not (I hope)
    I try to keep the value low, but that is up to the buyer.

Edit: is there a way to get it well insured without putting a high value on the customs declaration? Answer : NO

"Horological parts". "Personal belongings". Or "returned from repair: personal belongings".

Insure it: I've had two parcels sent to me go missing in the last year.

If DHL now send up to 4000 then you either get the vendor to send through them with the declared value. Taking 400+ hit. Or you send at $30 listed as a timer, or some such and play the odds. However it's the sender I'm guessing whom will be deciding this ultimately. Alternately you play a different game and insure through DHL forhalf the value, and play half the import. I once tried to get someone to send a watch from the USA insured. But they had already posted it at the cheapest international mail, with a $10 value. It took 4 weeks to get to me, all the while i was having kittens. I still own that pointer hanhart.

it's now a big worry which is why it was quite nice when watches were less valuable..

I just sent an extremely expensive watch to the UK from NZ via DHL. Declared it as used horological instrument worth $50. Took 4 days to reach buyer. I've never lost a DHL shipment.

I just opened up a Parcel Pro account and I can tell you that I sleep a lot better. I've used it three times now and the insurance coverage costs about what it costs at the USPS, except I have confidence that a loss would be covered, unlike with the USPS insurance. The packaging/labeling/sending/receiving requirements are rigorous but easily met. It's things like double boxing, not identifying the contents explicitly as valuable on the label, requiring signature upon delivery, etc. The rules are spelled out in plain language and you don't have to be an attorney to understand them. And Parcel Pro allows you to take out insurance on a package you ship with a variety of carriers (in my account, I am set up for USPS, FedEx, and UPS).

But I think the essential issue of insuring for full value without declaring full value is still a non-starter.

Myron

Quote Originally Posted by Hentaiboy View Post
    I just sent an extremely expensive watch to the UK from NZ via DHL. Declared it as used horological instrument worth $50. Took 4 days to reach buyer. I've never lost a DHL shipment.
    Not sure about NZ, but I second the recommendation for DHL as shipper to & from Australia. Also never lost a shipment. And they are much easier to deal with than FedEx (at least in Australia).

For me. Depended on what the customer wanted me to do, but what they wanted depended on how they were going to pay me to avoid problems.

I listed watches as Timer or Horological device.

Always sent with tracking and whatever insurance I could get.

Best part. I've been doing business with my local PO for so long. They look the other way when I fudge the slips.

Top I write the value on what others see. My copy has the true value. If it gets lost. It's my copy I have to present. The other is lost

Of course. Depending on the s/h fee and method. Can only fudge based on the cost. Can't write $50.00 if courier is $70.00, but can if $23.00 by registered etc.

Been doing this for 18 years, so one learns little tricks etc. based on the various s/h methods

DON

That's what happens when you buy stuff from the Antipodys and have to ship back to the Mother land. For me DHL with Parcelpro insurance. Peace of mind.

It might be worth dropping a PM to deerworrier on TZ-UK; he does this frequently and seems to know his onions.

Thanks all.

With the weak pound I know there's been a lot of overseas buyers and UK sellers which has doubtless increased the traffic in postal trade.

We need a runner / gopher! Or a teleport machine . . .
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)