Thread: A new A-13A watch from Italy

Default A new A-13A watch from Italy

I have done a quick search and realise that I don't think this has been posted here on MWR yet.
    But given its origins, I think it will definitely be of interest.
    A guy called Paolo Fanton, Oil Engineer, and part time military rifle marksman and pilot, has also, over the last few years, developed what he feels is the perfect pilot's watch, based on the Specification MIL-C-6499 for aircraft cockpit clock/chronographs.
    After getting 75 deposits, mostly on the back of a lengthy WUS post, he has started manufacture in Italy.
    Anyway, he has recently completed delivering them to the early adopters, me included, and mine has arrived in the UK.
    I have done a review on TZ-UK, but I am not sure the full review is appropriate here.

Anyhow, at 42mm diameter, 100m WR and equipped with the ETA 251.264 movement, I think his part-time effort has produced a winner.

Here it is, along with my pair of Nero Lemania cockpit clocks, including an A-13A.

For sheer elegant simplicity, and high functioning, this is hard to beat at most levels, but in the grand scheme of new chronographs, it is also relatively affordable.
    Well done Paolo.
    Dave

How does it work - is it a 60 minute timer?
    Cordially,
    ~Burgs

I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong... - Inspector O

Yes, 2 pusher is start/stop, 4 pusher is reset.
    The simple chrono hand measures 0-60 seconds, the aeroplane hand measures 0-60 minutes, like the Lemania 5100.
    But, because the movement is quartz, you can also do lap timing (stop to read a time with the 4 pusher, and the chronograph runs on in the backgorund, carrying on when you press 4 again), you can hour hack the watch to adjust timezones and you can preset the chrono hands for a countdown.
    D

melikes; a good review too -

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...d-and-reviewed

certainly doesn't seem inappropriate to me..

Thanks for the explanation, Sweets.
    Cordially,
    ~Burgs

I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong... - Inspector O

Now THAT is a nice looking and usable watch!!....... I really like it!

Why have we got the dampened down version of the review? Do You like the tz-uk more than mwr? :-)

Now seriously: great writeup, superb photos and of course the watch itself is very nice. I'd probably prefer it more, as a daily watch, if it was 40 mm, but as an instrument or work tool the 42 mm might be better size. I think it shows how good design works with restraint being a key to success.

Here you can read more about the watch: http://wornandwound.com/interview-pa...a-pilot-watch/
    Last edited by A.Pietras; 09-14-2017 at 00:38. Reason: Added the link.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Pietras View Post
    Why have we got the dampened down version of the review? Do You like the tz-uk more than mwr? :-)
    No, not at all. I feel more of a "person of standing" in TZ-UK so able to post a lengthy review. Here I am a lot more sporadic in posting (167 in total so far), and so I felt less able to do so. Apologies. I figured if people were interested, the review was well signposted, but now that Dave has posted the link, even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Pietras View Post

Now seriously: great writeup, superb photos and of course the watch itself is very nice. I'd probably prefer it more, as a daily watch, if it was 40 mm, but as an instrument or work tool the 42 mm might be better size. I think it shows how good design works with restraint being a key to success.

Here you can read more about the watch: http://wornandwound.com/interview-pa...a-pilot-watch/
    Thanks for the lkind words, most appreciated.
    Dave

I have one question. How does the mechanism work? I mean, are complications removed from the mechanism or they are still there? When operating crown and pushers can you set the non-existent (in this watch) hour counter, split second and date, or is it like Tudor modified eta 2824 that had the date setting removed?

My understanding is that the stepper motors for the other, unused subdials have been removed entitely. I am not entirely certain about the date (also unused) but there is certainly no additional mechanical clocks or noises when you hour-hack the hour hand 24 hrs forward. So I assume that has been completely removed too.
    D

That's great. This again shows the attention to detail Paulo had in designing this watch.

Thank you for answering my question.
    Andrzej