Thread: Omega 6B/159 case back engraving

Default Omega 6B/159 case back engraving

I was looking at an Omega 6B/159 on eBay and the case back is engraved 6B/159 A6467. I always thought a legitimate engraving should have 5 digits after the A. Is an engraving with only 4 digits correct?

Also can anyone give me a known range of movement serial numbers and case back engravings for the Omega 6B/159. Thanks.

Here is the auction I was referring to:

Last edited by dave; 09-12-2017 at 12:31. Reason: removed link and inserted images.

I bet someone will be cross that you posted that! You'll possibly introduce competition against your potential bid.

Anyway, I think it looks fine. Reference 2292 case back. Lugs have been shorted on one side which is common.

Thanks rodabod, I wasn't thinking about bidding as like you I thought the lugs at one end had been shortened. I was just interested in whether a 4 digit issue number was ok - also there's a big gap between the A and the first digit.

I have seen 4-digit serials on both Longines and Omega. There tends to be a broad arrow on the 2292 cases and A.M. on the rest - obviously a transition point c 1943/44 because you see 4-digit numbers associated with both styles of marking.
    Very roughly, 97xxxxx I take to be solidly 1943; 98xxxxx 1943/44; 99xxxxx and 10xxxxxx I put at c 1945 for the 6B/159 (although Dennison cased movements with those numbers will often be civilian market surplus supply c 1947). There is room for some refinement in those numbers so take that as a rough guide.
    Regards,
    Martin (isologue)
    P.S. If you weren't bidding, it might have been doubly appropriate to post after the auction had finished. Just in case.

Thanks Martin that's very helpful.