Thread: Omega 6B/159 case back engraving

Default Omega 6B/159 case back engraving

I was looking at an Omega 6B/159 on eBay and the case back is engraved 6B/159 A6467. I always thought a legitimate engraving should have 5 digits after the A. Is an engraving with only 4 digits correct?

Also can anyone give me a known range of movement serial numbers and case back engravings for the Omega 6B/159. Thanks.

Here is the auction I was referring to:

Last edited by dave; 09-12-2017 at 13:31. Reason: removed link and inserted images.

I bet someone will be cross that you posted that! You'll possibly introduce competition against your potential bid.

Anyway, I think it looks fine. Reference 2292 case back. Lugs have been shorted on one side which is common.

Thanks rodabod, I wasn't thinking about bidding as like you I thought the lugs at one end had been shortened. I was just interested in whether a 4 digit issue number was ok - also there's a big gap between the A and the first digit.

I have seen 4-digit serials on both Longines and Omega. There tends to be a broad arrow on the 2292 cases and A.M. on the rest - obviously a transition point c 1943/44 because you see 4-digit numbers associated with both styles of marking.
    Very roughly, 97xxxxx I take to be solidly 1943; 98xxxxx 1943/44; 99xxxxx and 10xxxxxx I put at c 1945 for the 6B/159 (although Dennison cased movements with those numbers will often be civilian market surplus supply c 1947). There is room for some refinement in those numbers so take that as a rough guide.
    Regards,
    Martin (isologue)
    P.S. If you weren't bidding, it might have been doubly appropriate to post after the auction had finished. Just in case.

Thanks Martin that's very helpful.

I just picked one up with a A and then three digits. The seller's dad kept it from his time in the British military in ww2. Is the 3 digit serial associated with a specific year of issue? Thanks in advance.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

Here is the dial. [IMG]
    [/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmoret View Post
    I just picked one up with a A and then three digits. The seller's dad kept it from his time in the British military in ww2. Is the 3 digit serial associated with a specific year of issue? Thanks in advance.
    Pictures of the inner case back and movement would be more useful. Also there are short lugs on the case - what's the case material?

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

For reference, two Omega 6Bs: the AM has a 10xxxxx case and the broad arrow a 2292 case reference.

1943/44 obviously saw some cross over between the style of marking. This makes you realise how inconsistently the markings were applied - assuming both of the above are genuine of course...

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Thanks Martin. I found the auction in the last few minutes and got drawn in without time for deep research. The markings looked old and the right font but then I got worried. Will post when it comes.

1943/44 obviously saw some cross over between the style of marking. This makes you realise how inconsistently the markings were applied - assuming both of the above are genuine of course...
    Hi Martin,

Both of your watches are entirely consistent with other markings I have recorded. As far as I can tell the changeover from A.M to Pheon happened somewhere between A6057 (A Longines) and A6467(An Omega). There are also a couple of variations in how the Pheon type markings were applied. Later A26xxx+ numbers used larger fonts, probably because the Omega case allowed more room than the beveled JLC case backs.

Regards

Default help

Hi Ashmoret, you may like to know that this was my fathers watch, I am now researching his war records and was wondering if you would be interested in sharing any info you find and on my side any of it's military history I can unravel, then drop us a line, just sent you a friend request by the way.

Very cool. Just sent you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Hi Martin,

Both of your watches are entirely consistent with other markings I have recorded. As far as I can tell the changeover from A.M to Pheon happened somewhere between A6057 (A Longines) and A6467(An Omega). There are also a couple of variations in how the Pheon type markings were applied. Later A26xxx+ numbers used larger fonts, probably because the Omega case allowed more room than the beveled JLC case backs.

Regards
    Hi,
    Thanks for the assurances. I didn't question these when I had them to hand but photographing them put them in a different light somehow. I hadn't noticed the wonky M for instance but the engraving styles on the omega 6B seem to be very quirky...
    Regards,
    Martin (isologue)

Might as well jump on this thread rather than start a new one. I have a 1943/44 example with a broken lug, and I guess the right thing to do would be to get it repaired to its original full length. Is it easy to work on these alloy cases ? Without any recommendations I'd try Adam at WatchCaseWorks, but has anyone here experience with someone else on a 6B/159 case repair ?

Quote Originally Posted by hookedseven View Post
    Might as well jump on this thread rather than start a new one. I have a 1943/44 example with a broken lug, and I guess the right thing to do would be to get it repaired to its original full length. Is it easy to work on these alloy cases ? Without any recommendations I'd try Adam at WatchCaseWorks, but has anyone here experience with someone else on a 6B/159 case repair ?

I've used these in the past and the work has always been top notch
    http://jewellers-watford.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Idol View Post
    I've used these in the past and the work has always been top notch
    http://jewellers-watford.co.uk/
    Thanks for the tip Mark, when I get round to asking I'll add Tompkins to the list.