Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anglepoise a distinctly British affair....

Thank you, you are a gentleman! I will pm you.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    Depending what 1227 you have, you can adjust through the springs, or tension up the joints. I've sold many with both lighter and heavier bulbs than the classic filament bulb. Both the lamps I've shown have heavier fluorescent bulbs in them. To tight to buy hi power led ones.
    I use clear 4 watt LED filament golf ball bayonet lamps in all my lamps. Equivalent to 40w old school incandescent.

The low wattage keeps the heat down and protects the old Crabtree lamp fitting, wiring etc from becoming brittle.

just bought a load myself, do the job.

Here's the military H&H lamp and the trolley 1209 lamp

just bought a load myself, do the job.

Here's the military H&H lamp and the trolley 1209 lamp

Very nice H&H, quite, well very envious!

That is bonkers beautiful. Who chromed the roller weight on that?

it was something i had done years ago. Had the anodising stripped off the lamp arms, had the weight and arms polished, then took the polished weight to a platers. Tend not to do the shiny shiny look anymore as i like paint, but in this case i think it still looks good.

I nearly bought one of those Herbert Terry floor standing trolley lamp the other day at an antique shop in Malvern. It was 195 iirc. Kind of wish I had but not sure where I'd put it. I think it was a very nice pale green. Like modern CWC lume* ("sucked mint" I'd call it, if I was naming shades for a paint chart).

*There: managed to bring it back to watches.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

That's the thing with watches - you can get a lot of them in a sock drawer. Anglepoise lamps or motorbikes are not so easy to hide from the other half......

Thanks to all for bringing my attention in another direction. Wife will just be thrilled!

Foilguy, do you happen to know whether or not the top half of the trolley 1209 lamp was also produced as a desk lamp, with a VERY heavy cast base? It looks near enough identical to a desktop Anglepoise that my father rescued from a skip at his work decades back. Rather stupidly, it got thrown in another skip when I was "rationalising"...

Yes indeed there was. In fact my study has the same lamp you are referring to. Great reach, useful for watch tinkering.

Yes indeed there was. In fact my study has the same lamp you are referring to. Great reach, useful for watch tinkering.
    Bugger. That lamp saw me through my university days but was looking a little sorry for itself so got dumped rather than fixed. Stupid me. As you say, great reach; I had it next to my drawing board

Yep, that's the one, although mine was all black, and gloss rather than matt finish. You've got my interest piqued now - a quick google & it seems as though I had a model 1209, with yours an earlier 1208. Why oh why did I throw it in a skip?!?!?!

I took the paint off the arms on this one, as i like the brass fittings. 1208 & 1209 are pretty much the same. Here is a brief blurb from https://twelvetwentyseven.wordpress....y-anglepoises/:

The 1208 and 1209 were virtually identical:

The 1209 was fully painted, while the 1208 had chromed arms.
    Both had steel arms. (Though on later models these are often aluminium, brass or even copper) Mine's aluminium and brass., though i've just found a steel one in the garage.

The first Cardine Anglepoise and the Terry 1208 both have bases with a tall stem which was reduced within a short production period, When the revised 1209 was introduced.
    Initially the 1208 and 1209 were virtually identical, the main difference being that the 1208 arms were chromed, while the 1209’s arms were painted*. Later (most likely in the early 1950’s) the models were slightly revised and a short arm version of the1209 became available, it had a 12 inch arm, as opposed to the 18inch arm of the standard 1208 and 1209 (both of which retained the same overall dimensions of Cardine’s original lamp).

The lamps proved to be immensely popular. The high demand led Terry and sons to the idea of producing a version for the domestic market. However they felt that the existing 4 spring designs, while successful were somewhat too industrial for the home. George, collaborating with the designers at Terry and sons, went back to the drawing board. What they came up with was a 3 spring Anglepoise, which, (due to Herbert Terry and sons sequential numbering system for new designs), was designated as the 1227 model. The 1227 was a smaller, simpler and more elegant design than its older brothers. Manufacture commenced in 1935, and sales of the new lamp soon overtook those of the 1208 and 1209. That said the larger 1208 and 1209 had a gained a solid reputation as industrial and architectural lamps and both remained in production for several years.

Like the 1227 the design of the 1208/9 received several subtle changes throughout it’s production. These can be helpful in dating lamps.

As others have said this is simply a great thread. I had a much later model (I think a type 75 from looking just now) that my dad passed onto me when I went to university. He'd bought it himself in his student days in the mid sixties. We did the same degree at the same university, studied under the same light, and got the same grade at the end of it. I can't see myself getting hooked on collecting these, but next time I need a desk light I'm pretty sure I'll go hunting for one of the early ones.