Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anglepoise a distinctly British affair....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I just need to come up with something to use as a base, as this was originally fixed to the navigators position within the aircraft.
    The base from a microphone table stand may suit.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    this is a well known photograph -

Lancaster navigator WWII

image credit -

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...M_CH_12288.jpg
    "Yes, we are somewhere over Europe"

Paul, Wonderful thread, really great items that I've never given a thought to (Or seen over here). Can you explain why the Chinese copies never stay where they're put?
    You could eat off of that bench by the way.
    D

Hands up who wants an Anglepoise subforum?

"Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

probably best not to push your luck now Ollie!

I can remember being in a drawing office in the 80s before the advent of CAD.

all those big old drawing boards each fitted with its own anglepoise lamp.

and on a cold winter's day snuggling up to your 60W bulb.

then we put them all in the skip; did we all do wrong?..

Which one is you Dave? Some great fashions going on there, lots of sensible knitwear -- even knitted ties, I think.

Are you the chap with the leather elbow patches?

"Doreen, fetch me cardie!"
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Paul, Wonderful thread, really great items that I've never given a thought to (Or seen over here). Can you explain why the Chinese copies never stay where they're put?
    You could eat off of that bench by the way.
    D
    Thanks Dave, i built the bench the previous week. Noticed a neighbour was throwing away a load of different timber, so i recycled it, well apart from the ply surfaces.

At the Design Museum in London today:

Foilguy - the finish on your restorations is beautiful. I recently did a restoration on a Hadrill & Horstman roller lamp, and the steel counter weight and a few other of the bits were a nightmare to paint (I was using car paint from a rattle can; but was very very careful with priming etc). I can't say I have been delighted with the result.

I currently have an angle poise in pieces ready for painting; or I am now even considering to be sent away to paint. What is your process?

Hadrill and Horstmann another passion of mine. Currently have 3 dotted around the house, including a British military issued one. regarding paint. I tend to first strip with nitromorse, then wire wool. Then add a coat of red primer. Finally 2 coats of paint (the old discontinued Holts spray tins from an auto factors discount shelf). Finally a coat of clear matt lacquer. Makes sure all your washers and spacers go back, will add that clearance needed to prevent rubbing. Allow the paint time to harden. Regarding spraying, i hang up with a wire flex through the connecting holes, and spring in the garden on a clear day. they then get moved to under the Gazebo.

What problems were you getting? Also depending on the H&H lamp, some were anodised. which type was it?

Vow, vow, vow, what an interesting and fascinating thread! I always loved these lamps. So handy and so great looking. I never knew for one that there used aboard WW2 aircrafts!! I have to get an AM model. Paul, can you get me one? I just bought recently one in an auction in the UK one with wooden parts that according to the auctioneer is Conran model. No idea whether he is right or not. I will post photos of it to have the experts' opinion.

there is also an AM chart board lamp 5c/1551 with dimmer switch 5c/726 -

anyone know who manufactured these ? ..

Default auction images

VINTAGE WW2 AIR MINISTRY CHART BOARD LAMP AIR CRAFT LAMP 12 / 24 VOLTS

Sold for: 120.00 GBP - Buy It Now

Talking

I love these Anglepoises! I have a few around the house mainly for reading. The slightly older ones with the rolled lamp rims are more desirable but are a bit harder to find. I overpaid for my first two that I got from an antique dealer but later I picked up a couple more for a fraction of the price at flea markets. Gee, I didn't know that some of them have a military provenance.

I also see a lot of very cool vintage lamps in flea markets and in Clignancourt in Paris.

Tempting as it is, I don't want to start collecting these things like vintage watches...

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    The "three-step base" ones are earlier and always fetch good money.

On such small details hang big differences . . . lamp fans are as obsessive as watch collectors!
    There must be some sort of watch - anglepoise link going on!

Seeing this thread I had bit of a count up, and it appears that I may need to see a psychiatrist. I have over 20 Herbert Terry anglepoises (1209, 1227, 75's), 4 Hadrill and Horstman, 2 Kaiser Idell, 2 Lo-Vo machine shop lamps on rather nice cast aluminium switch boxes and a Mac lamp.

I try and keep them totally original complete with Crabtree switches, but have fully refurbished a few that were completely too far gone.

My wife and offspring all have a couple each, the two eldest have taken one each to university. Reminds them of home 😊. I also still have a white type 90 from the mid 70's that my grandmother bought me from BHS.

A sub forum would be a great idea!

Wow I never realised what I'd started. I thought I had an unhealthy passion. I've 2 1209's one on a trolley base, one on my study desk; its got great reach. 4 1227's in various rooms, all small shade versions, 3 hadrill and horstmann (2 In the house are map readers, one of them being MOD) and the one clamped to my workshop bench is a large format drawing desk version. good health to those of you that have this passion, and maybe a few that will take a closer look.

re. the watch - anglepoise link thing, it's probably something to do with a shared appreciation of good, utilitarian design. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a fair few here who have a healthy interest in old tools, compasses, binoculars, vintage cars, motorbikes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    re. the watch - anglepoise link thing, it's probably something to do with a shared appreciation of good, utilitarian design. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a fair few here who have a healthy interest in old tools, compasses, binoculars, vintage cars, motorbikes etc.
    I would say you are spot on!

I was also at the design museum a month ago, and yes did take a load of photos of there anglepoises.

Have just finished a all black crinkle finish base and shade early cross over two step. Just cleaned and rewired. I have a matching pair of these now as bedside lamps.

Anyone got a spare black 'earth' washer they want to sell?

Yep. Free of charge. Just pay the postage for a 1st class stamp. Pm me your address.

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Yep. I love tweed and fly fishing and riding this to the river (my rods fit in the gun scabbard nicely and it goes off road, too)