Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anglepoise a distinctly British affair....

Default Anglepoise a distinctly British affair....

When not tinkering with watches, i like on occasion to buy old Anglepoise 1227 lamps at antique fairs/flea markets and restore them. They generally look their 80 odd years which means rusty, covered in sticky lead paint, most of which is chipped or flaked off. I tend to get the earlier ones (WW2 period), as they interest me more. I must of restored 40 or 50 over the years, and i'm proud to own the only one ever found that's made of brass. Anglepoise themselves knew nothing of it.

Whats particularly interesting are the RAF Anglepoises. These where mounted within the fuselage of bombers. They differed as they had frictionless plates at the joints. Here are some lamps i've recently done, the blue one can be seen as having these frictionless plates. Unfortunately, it's had it's dimmer mount cut off, and when i found it, was covered in cream lead paint, springs and all.

Sir Arthur Harris Bomber Command.

whats additionally interesting regarding the RAF lamp, are that most of the fixings and fittings are aluminium, that is apart from the springs and mount bar, and spring washers. I've instated a civi shade clip, and base, so they are not part of the original.

I'm a big fan of Anglepoises too -- got several and have recently restored three two-step base 1227s, using English-made braided flex like the stuff you've threaded yours with. My daughter has taken my dad's old one to university, just as I took it myself when I left home.

Didn't know about the frictionless plates though, are they rare?

Love the Weems, is that the Longines, can't tell on my phone . . . .
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Love a good angleposie. I've still got mine on my desk that my dad put in my room when I was a little-un.

Default crumbs; remember seeing these in skips not so long ago..

RARE HERBERT TERRY ART DECO 3 STEP Mk 1 # 1227 CHROME ANGLEPOISE LAMP c 1935-38

ULTRA RARE Excellent Original used untouched condition Fully working as been rewired at some point but as original CRABTREE BAKELITE fittings with just light tarnishing and marks as associated with its age and use and odd dint to the wrinkle finish shade.

Sold for: 425.00 GBP - Approximately $543.94 USD - Buy It Now

The "three-step base" ones are earlier and always fetch good money.

On such small details hang big differences . . . lamp fans are as obsessive as watch collectors!
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I've still got some vintage incandescent light bulbs; LOL..

Foilguy,

Thank you for posting such an interesting thread. I had not idea that such lamps were collectable, but I can now certainly see why!
    Cordially,
    ~Burgs

I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong... - Inspector O

What an excellent thread. As a matter of interest do the RAF lamps have a sparrow's foot stamped anywhere?

Herbert Terry and sons

this is a well known photograph -

Lancaster navigator WWII

image credit -

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...M_CH_12288.jpg

Alas, while the traditional Anglepoise is still available, it has long been made in China to British specs - the way of the world! I have 6 or 7 old 'uns scattered around, still working - should I worry about Inheritance Tax?

I have yet to master that fine balance as new bulb ways less... one day..!

Depending what 1227 you have, you can adjust through the springs, or tension up the joints. I've sold many with both lighter and heavier bulbs than the classic filament bulb. Both the lamps I've shown have heavier fluorescent bulbs in them. To tight to buy hi power led ones.

Longings it is Revo^_^

Here is my exRAF 5C/1079 which I have just finished restoring and converted from 28v to 230v. I just need to come up with something to use as a base, as this was originally fixed to the navigators position within the aircraft.
    (Using imgur from an app for the first time, so we will see how we go)

These anglepoise navigators lamps are more substantial in construction than their civilian predecessors, but have a comparatively small shade. The shade on mine is a repro as a larger shade was substituted when they were sold off as surplus.

thats great Kiwi here is another. I'm guessing the bases on both images aren't part of the original assemblage.

What a great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    Herbert Terry and sons
    Thanks.