Thread: SINN EZM 1.1

Default SINN EZM 1.1

I guess I will start this thread as I cannot find any other upon it. The New Sinn EZM 1.1 500 piece edition. 43mm case 22mm lug width. Is everyone secretly putting in orders and not talking about it here?
    H1Alpha -
    Luminox 3001 BO with missing bezel lume glass - it fell out!
    Rolex GMT II BLNR

I'll pass. I prefer the original size, but I can't afford it. clever of Sinn to alter the reissue so as not to
    crash the used EZM1 market.

Speaking as a hard core lefty, I abhor lefty watches. To me they're like cars with the steering wheel facing the tail lights.
    I suppose that if you did like backwards watches, then a Sinn would be a classy way to go.
    Cordially,
    ~Burgs

I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong... - Inspector O

US retail price is $4860. Brian

Very cool, but too expensive. I'm interested in the forthcoming Damasko DC80 as a central-minutes-chrono alternative.

Myron

Bob (owner of MWR) has a couple of the original ZUZ and ZTZ EZM1's. (http://broadarrow.net/ezm1.htm)

I had one of the original EZM1 Ar-dials bought new more than 10 years ago. They only made around 2,000 of them IIRC. It was a great everday wear in Ti and a real tool-watch.

Unfortunately, I sold my EZM1 many years ago to fund another purchase. When I saw this watch (while I was on vacation in Cambodia!) I put in my deposit as soon as I got back from overseas. I would've preferred the original size, but 43 mm still isn't too big IMHO and as mentioned by another poster this new size will separate it from the original. I'm also looking forward to various "improvements" like the fully tegimented case, D3 gasket-less chrono pushers, and the SZ-01 (modified 7750) in lieu of the discontinued L5100 should be easier to find parts for and service.

Quote Originally Posted by Reintitan View Post
    Bob (owner of MWR) has a couple of the original ZUZ and ZTZ EZM1's. (http://broadarrow.net/ezm1.htm)

I had one of the original EZM1 Ar-dials bought new more than 10 years ago. They only made around 2,000 of them IIRC. It was a great everday wear in Ti and a real tool-watch.

Unfortunately, I sold my EZM1 many years ago to fund another purchase. When I saw this watch (while I was on vacation in Cambodia!) I put in my deposit as soon as I got back from overseas. I would've preferred the original size, but 43 mm still isn't too big IMHO and as mentioned by another poster this new size will separate it from the original. I'm also looking forward to various "improvements" like the fully tegimented case, D3 gasket-less chrono pushers, and the SZ-01 (modified 7750) in lieu of the discontinued L5100 should be easier to find parts for and service.
    Totally agree on all these points, and my comment about it being too expensive is of course relative. At a different point in time I would've put my money down too.

I'm glad at least one good MWRine has ordered one of these. Maybe we'll get to see it on the Friday WRUW threads!

Myron

My post from another forum:

I think if you look at it in the context of a 're-issue' and compare to other recent re-issues such as the Pelagos, the Heuer Carrera, Skipper and the Zenith Cairelli then it stands up well - it still retains the primary design features that make the watch unique and hasn't over-egged the pudding with any additional script (except the 'SZ01' in gloss black) or fundamental changes.

Points I notice are the slightly thicker minute hand, the small gloss script and the D3 pusher system and the reverting to a triangular rather than trapezoid lume pip. Depth is 200m (down from the 300m EZM1 - and 100m up from the Damasko DC80). The more contentious points are the size - I find the original the perfect size for me but wouldn't consider a 3mm size up to be too outrageous - it's the size of most watches on the market at the moment I guess so fits with that aspect. Secondly the material - steel (albeit tegimented') rather than Titanium is a shame I think as the Titanium is warm, light, naturally dull and fits so well for the original - but again, this wouldn't be a deal breaker for me considering what it is/does. It keeps the classic Heuer-shaped case, lugs and they didn't go down the EZM13/Tutima M2 route and use the integrated pushers.

One of my main 'loves' is the L5100 - a movement unpopular with watchmakers (that's what we pay them for... ) but good for watch wearers imo, and although a modified 7750 doesn't hold that same allure for me I'm pragmatic enough to recognise it does the job and seems a fair modification/substitution bearing in mind the L5100 is no more anyway.

Competition? Well, there's the cheaper, arguably 'better' original and the coincidentally about to be released Damasko DC80; the DC80 has a totally different look to it - more Sinn U1 than EZM with it's more 'modern', flat styling, but what grates with me about it is the 'unnecessary' cross-hair on the dial, the thicker minute hashes, no needle point on the minute hand and the unmatched lume length on the second hand - not as clean and neat as the original execution nor as focused on practical purpose - the essential point for a simple 'mission timer' [which in fairness the Damasko doesn't describe itself as]. Just a tad too much cosmetic for me, but still a great watch with essentially the best chronograph display method, so kudos for that.

I'd like to see one in the flesh, and wouldn't say no to having one necessarily - I think Sinn did a good job that at least brings the centre chronograph back into play in it's purest format; if I wasn't so enamoured with the originals and if I wanted a new watch rather than an almost vintage one, I'd happily give it a go - in that context and in today's market, the EZM1.1 is an outstanding watch.

From user 'SinnCity' over on UhrForum -

On the downside, another version to add to the set...

Well...I bought one. And I have to say its pretty damned perfect. Having owned several original EZM1's and having read the numerous negative comments on the net about the 43mm size (by people who haven't actually seen one yet alone owned one), I can tell everyone that Sinn got it absolutely right. You simply don't notice it, and strapping the watch on for the first time makes you realise this design was MADE to be 43mm. Lets be clear here: Sinn haven't tried to remake the original, they've tried to improve the original. And they have succeeded rather well in my opinion. All the design cues of the original are still there, but the larger diameter fits the height of the watch much better than the the original 40mm did and its far more comfortable to wear. The rubber strap, with its fitted ends, hugs the lugs and helps the watch sit perfectly in the centre of your wrist. I have 17.5cm wrists and it is without doubt the most comfortable watch I now own...! I also like the fact that its made of steel- it gives the watch more heft and it feels sturdier like a tool watch should feel.

The chronograph impressed me as well. Whatever modifications Sinn have done to the 7750 in order to create the SZ01, they have done it well. The start-stop-reset functionality is butter smooth, much smoother than on the 5100, and there is no hint of the hand jerking commonly associated with the 7750 movement. And no, you don't need to push the reset button twice in order to get the hands back to zero :-). You can hear the rotor though. I'm not a movement snob, but the whirring of the 7750 is the only negative thing about this watch.

Collectors will always prefer an original. That's just the way it is. But the EZM 1.1 is not trying to be an original...it just resembles one! As Andy said above, anyone looking for a modern watch with the design heritage of the original Einsatzzeitmesser (mission timer), this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurocontroller View Post
    Well...I bought one.
    !

Thanks Andy! Here it is with the steel bracelet:

Congrats Eurocontroller! I'm still waiting for mine to ship from the N. American distributor. No word yet.

The watch looks great. My only nitpick so far is that I don't like the thick rubber strap it comes with. I prefer the rubberized leather strap that came with the original EZM1, but I guess that strap is discontinued, just like the L5100.

Thanks Reintitan! I'm sure you're going to love it! I'm wearing mine on a leather NATO today...

Cheers,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Reintitan View Post
    ...I'm still waiting for mine to ship from the N. American distributor. No word yet.
    Congratulations also, for info I believe yesterday afternoon 476 had been ordered...!

Nick - that looks very cool - someone on another forum said 'Sinn haven't screwed this one up' - they certainly haven't and for that we should be grateful, the more I see the 'real' pictures and the the more I view it on its own merits, the more attractive it becomes...

I caved and put down a deposit... it looks great but likely too large for me, but figure it's a no-lose proposition with LE of 500, plus I'll still have my EZM1 3H to fall back on

Congrats! I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised about the size....!

Be great to see the side-by-side comparison when you get it Peter - congrats!

FWIW, and much as I appreciate your view Nick, I don't think it is an improvement on the original. Just my opinion.
    Why?
    Steel over Ti, no
    200m WR over 300m, no
    43mm over 41mm, no
    Price over originals, no
    SZ01 over Lemania 5100, no.

I have now been wearing my Ar EZM1 for about 8 weeks solid now, and am totally back in love with the design.

What surprised me with the 1.1 is how much more it is than the EZM13, which also used a Sinn-derived mod of the 7750. Waaay more.

Doesn't mean I don't think the 1.1 will be a success. It will. No doubt.

Dave

Dave, everyone is entitled to their opinion- no hard feelings. I see exactly where you're coming from and to some extent I have to agree with your appraisal, BUT, and its a big but, I defy you to strap this on for a few days and not like wearing it more than the original....

...now there's a challenge :-)!

Cheers, Nick