Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth Day 1968 watches

Default Birth Day 1968 watches

Hi folks,

15 months to go for my 50th anniversary, so I am asking you experts: which military watches bear a visible sign of this year on its outer surface? I know of only one for sure, the Smiths G10. I would love to have one with my birth year on it. Please, if you know of others I would be happy for your help... If possible post a pic so I can see for what I should search.

Thank you all for your help!

cfk

Deep pockets ? Omega Seamaster...

Edit to add. Although not military, I am always on the look out for a birth month Seiko diver. It's a pretty cool idea to get a watch that was produced in the four week slot in which you were born. It's obviously not written clearly on the CB (rather the year and month are coded at the start of the SN), but still an option if you're into your Seikos. I think 68 would be right at the end of the 62MAS, and right at the start of the 6105s.

Default /68

again pretty much unobtainium - Lemania DS date.

if it was me I would look out for a RN Smiths W10.. very uncommon..

moving away from actual military issued the obvious choices would then be -

5513 metres first sub..

321 speedy..

both of these would be date stamped 68 inside the case back.

At the cheap end those plastic US-issued Benrus field watches have month and year production stamps on the outside.

http://www.broadarrow.net/vietbenrus.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post

5513 metres first sub..

321 speedy..

It sucks being born in the 60s when it comes to birth watches

There's a Smith's '68 year on the PX currently...
    msa6712
    Z-7

Quote Originally Posted by Hentaiboy View Post
    It sucks being born in the 60s when it comes to birth watches
    Dam there more selection in the 1960's than when I was born the 1950's even sucks more.

The Smiths W10 is very wearable, very accurate and 100% English (if that matters to you; actually the 17 jewels are Scottish and if you put it on a Phoenix strap then that's Welsh.)

Also, money: yes a 5513 or SM300 would be nice but they will at least 10x the price of a Smiths.

Finally, you can get a date MONTH one. Look at the date code on the movement: it will be a two or three digits where the last number is the year (so you want a "7") and preceded by the month:

60466E "57" caseback issue s/n 4xx/67 = May 1967
    60466E "67" caseback issue s/n 5xx/67 = June '67
    60466E "107" caseback issue s/n 8xx/67 & 9xx/67 = October '67

Source: http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...3-digit-codes)
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by msa6712 View Post
    There's a Smith's '68 year on the PX currently...
    Indeed, quite a nice one if I do say so myself.

- Matt

the wrong side of the pond -

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post

and a 117..

Hi,

First of all thanks to all that contributed to this anniversary search...it sucks alltogether getting old: sore spine, weak eyes, trembling hands.... But good enough to cheer up life with some nice watches! I would like to sum it up to have all watches mentioned:

Omega Seamaster 300
    Seiko diver
    Lemania DS
    Smiths W10 (RN or not)
    5513 Rolex
    321 speedy
    Benrus field watch

@Revo: what would be the numbering for Dec. 1968 Smiths?
    @Hookedseven: are the Benrus watches servicable? Access to the movement via front?
    @Dave: is there a civil Seamaster 321 from 1968 as a cheaper counterpart?

I have the feeling that at the actual prices a military Seamaster 300 is not within reach, as is for a 5513. Do you have a link for a Lemania DS with the date imprints?

Thanks for your proposals so far. Is there anything from sweden (Candino) that could fit? Or french, or italian?

I will try to understand the Smiths numbering, seems to be very intriguing...

Best,

cfk

Quote Originally Posted by cfk View Post
    @Revo: what would be the numbering for Dec. 1968 Smiths?
    I will try to understand the Smiths numbering, seems to be very intriguing...
    All you need is a W10 with xxxx/68 on the case back and "128" 12th month 1968 on the movement

HTH
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

CFK,

Not trying to be a wet blanket or anything, and I'm sure you've considered carefully, but having recently passed the same birthday milestone myself my advice is to buy yourself something nice and new. No global search, no service issues, no old-watch issues. Just a nice watch that you can wear every day without fear of damage or parts availability, etc. If you plan to wear it daily, then I'm sure you'd appreciate modern construction, modern lume, a sapphire crystal, etc etc. It will eventually become something that your heirs would enjoy having, and all the more memorable because you bought it to celebrate and observe 50 trips around the sun.

Then if you wish you can find the symbolic birth month and year military-issued watch to keep on your dresser and the two of you can gracefully age together. ;-) Whatever you choose, good luck in your quest.

Myron

Quote Originally Posted by cfk View Post
    Thanks for your proposals so far. Is there anything from sweden (Candino) that could fit?
    AFAIK Swedish issued watches post tg195 don't tend to have any date marks, but don't quote me on that!

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post

5513 metres first sub..

321 speedy..

sorry, these are the civilian models that I was referring to and still very expensive!

no images available for the Lemania dive supervisor date..

Another vote for the W10.

I have a birth year one.

I had hoped to get the movement date code matched up too but not all months were made. I have 117.

SmithsW10 - 1967

i've a couple of W10 '68's but can't remember the month dates on the movements. I'm also '68 year of the monkey.

I wonder if all or most "128" dated movements would have ended up in a '69 watch . . . .

I found another possible goal: a Lemania RAF Chrono III Series.